Our 20 x 34 1-1/2 story cabin in Michigan

Started by mogie01, July 30, 2010, 12:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_M

Looks great!  I'm wondering what type of trim is that?  Do you make it yourself?? It looks like the corners are rounded?  I have to put some trim on my T&G and was wondering what to use.  I like what you used.
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

mogie01

Thanks John_M.  It is trim that we purchased from the same company we purchased the T&G from, here is a link to their website

http://www.woodworkersshoppe.com/pine_trim.htm

You can see a close up of the trim that we used, you are correct, it is rounded at the front, they call it outside and inside corner trim.

brharrison

Very nice cabin!

Are those 8 or 10 foot walls?

mogie01

mogie01

It's been a few weeks but we finally got a chance to be up at the cabin for a long weekend and get some work done.  We installed the doors and finished the flooring in the closet, installed trim and then put up some pine t&g in the living room.  I can't believe we're working on the big room now.

bathroom door installed

finished installing the flooring in the closet, stained it, then applied 2 coats of poly.

bedroom door installed

closet door installed

installed the insulation in the walls

worked on the trimwork in the closet

livingroom wall

oifmarine

You are doing a great job.  Keep up the good work!

mogie01

We were able to get up to the cabin this weekend.   It's been about 4 weeks since our last visit so we were feeling a bit guilty and worked our tails off.  We installed over half of the t&g on the main part of the cabin, we're really happy with how it's coming along.

boltpost

Wow very inspiring.  What is the R value in the foam ceiling?
Small Beach Cabin in Progress
http://under600squarefeet.wordpress.com/

duncanshannon

that looks great. nice progress in a weekend!
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

mogie01

Quote from: boltpost on March 18, 2012, 09:11:29 PM
Wow very inspiring.  What is the R value in the foam ceiling?

Thanks boltpost.  Sorry for the wait, my husband was away on business.  The R value is 38 for the ceiling and 21 for the walls.  It holds the heat in very well and also sound.  We are finding that it is keeping the cabin cooler during the hot days too.

mogie01

Thanks duncanshannon, we aren't getting up to the cabin as much as we would like, due to my husband's work schedule, so when we do get the chance we work non-stop.  We love it though.  :)

mogie01

We took Friday off and had a long weekend to work on the cabin.  We were able to get most of the t&g up on the walls, there is only one small section in the loft still to do.  We took our log bed up this weekend too so now we can sleep in comfort after working hard :)

our log bed

The loft

A few finishing touches on the bathroom

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

oifmarine

This is very similar to my planned build and I love checking in on your progress [cool]  Between you and a couple of others, I am getting a ton of good ideas.  Thanks and keep up the good work.  It looks AWESOME!

ajbremer

Great work mogie01,

Those interior doors look real good, where did you get them and how much $$$?

Also, that log bed - that is awesome looking and fits your place perfectly, did you make it?
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

mogie01

Quote from: ajbremer on April 05, 2012, 05:18:05 AM
Great work mogie01,

Those interior doors look real good, where did you get them and how much $$$?

Also, that log bed - that is awesome looking and fits your place perfectly, did you make it?

Thanks AJ.  We purchased the doors from the same company we purchased the pine T&G, they were around $300 each, that included the hardware and jams, and prefinished.

The bed we bought from a local store that gets them from the Amish.  We might try our hand at building some furniture after the cabin is done though.

mogie01

More pics of our latest trip to the cabin.

We stained the beams to match the floor.  Installed felt and wire for the stonework behind the wood stove.  Trimmed the windows in the living room and loft and cleaned up the cabin to prepare for the delivery of more t&g to do the ceiling, and wood for the floor.

Bye Bye Camper.  We brought the camper back to the house today.  It was damaged during a bad storm a few weeks back and a tree branch went through the roof.  We have to patch the roof and put a new ceiling in the bedroom.  We don't need it at the cabin any more so brought it back to work on it, then we will try to sell it.

It's nice to see the backyard without a camper in it :)

Redoverfarm

Looking good.  I can tell it will not be long now that your temporary housing is being removed.  If your beams are "built up" might I suggest that you stain 3/4" board to attach to the bottom to hide the seams of the other 2X beams.  Normally the right approach would be to wrap three sides w/3/4" and 45 Deg the edges to disguise them of being made up . 

mogie01

Quote from: Redoverfarm on April 08, 2012, 07:59:34 PM
Looking good.  I can tell it will not be long now that your temporary housing is being removed.  If your beams are "built up" might I suggest that you stain 3/4" board to attach to the bottom to hide the seams of the other 2X beams.  Normally the right approach would be to wrap three sides w/3/4" and 45 Deg the edges to disguise them of being made up .

Thanks Redoverfarm, we did talk about covering the 2X beams but decided to go with the "rustic" look (we didn't want to put any more time or money into the beams and decided they didn't look that bad) :)

John Raabe

A very handsome project wrapping up nicely. Thanks for letting us all share in the process.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

ajbremer

I really enjoy looking through this builds posts. I'll be referencing it many times in the future. Thank you mogie01
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

oifmarine

I agree.  Great job so far.  I really like your floor plan and may incorporate it into mine. [cool]

mogie01

Thanks everyone, this cabin is definitely a labor of love for us.

Our wood for the ceiling and floor was delivered this weekend.  It took about 45 minutes for us to unload the wood, with the help of the lady delivery driver.  We were able to get one half of the ceiling done.

We had a nice visit from a couple who have just purchased some land in the area and have been watching our build.  We had a nice chat and we look forward to watching them build their dream.  I told them about Countryplans and what a great web site it was.

pile of wood (after finishing half of the ceiling)

wood on the ceiling

Toyotaboy

I want to do this on my ceiling of my cabin. What can one expect to pay for wood siding like you put on your ceiling?
I haven't had a chance to look into prices. We are not quite there with our build yet.

oifmarine

Toyotaboy-
This T&G siding goes on sale all the time at Menards.  I used it when I finished my basement and the best sale price I found a couple of years ago was .49/lf for 1x8.  It usually ranges from .54-64 around me at Menards.  Home Depot carries it as well but they are more expensive.