what if they don't have full beam size

Started by chrisbrowning, May 04, 2005, 05:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisbrowning

On the 12 x 18 house plans require 4x10x18 beams. What if closest thing I can find is a 2x10x(8,10,12,16). Can I use two 2x10 but then which length. And house to I fuse them?

chrisbrowning

That last question was suppose to be HOW DO I FUSE them. That was embarrassing. Guess I have HOUSE on the brain.

glenn-k

Hi Chris-
You can click the modify button - make changes to your already posted comment then hit the save button at the bottom of the modify page and no one will ever know you made an embarrassing boo-boo. ;D  (Like I just did).

rwalter

Chris,

Yes you cans  build your own beams. I would try to allow at least 4 feet between seems. I would buy QT 3,  2x10x12's per beam. I would then cut one 2x10x12 in half. Use a six foot section at each opposite end this will leave more than four feet between seams. I would also use 1/2 plywood sandwiched between the 2x10's. To join them all together I would use nails and glue. That should make a sufficiently strong enough beam.

jraabe

Exactly right. Such built up beams can be done to almost any length. If well put together they are stronger than a solid wood beam and closer to a glu-lam.

chrisbrowning

Since the total beam length on the 12 x 18 is 18 foot right? Would it be better to buy per beam:
1-2x10x16 plus 2- 2x10x10. Placing the 16 in the center, one full 10 at one end and the other 10 at the other end but cutting off the extra 2 ft from this side. That way you would have with the 1/2 plywood in between a full 4 inch thick thickness. Also by cutting off the extra from the end of one of the 10 length, there would not be a seam over the center block. How would all this work.

Also on another note- as far as the walls on the inside Lowes has a 1/6/8 T&G  western red cedar. This of course would probably best be placed on top of the either 1/4 osb or 6/16 osb panels. Any thoughts?

Thank you

rwalter

I am not sure I follow your last post, but however you construct your beams I'd make sure that there is at least 4 feet between seams or the end of a beam. If your using just Qty 2 2x10x10's and Qty 1 2x10x16 you's have two small 1 foot sections at each end of the beam. You still should sandwich the 1/2" plywood between the 2x10 material to reach the 3 1/2" dimension that a standard 4" beam would be. You would also be left with a seam close to the end of the beam. If your beam cantilevered out over the end of the last pier and that pier was directly under the seam it probably would not matter but, I am not an expert at that and would defer to and expert like like John on this matter.

jraabe

Just make sure the seams are staggered 4'. If a joint lands on top of a pier all the better but not necessary.

If you are going to use the cedar as an interior wall finish you do not need OSB structural sheathing. That is only needed on the outside of the wall. You might put it over a vapor barrier like black poly if you are in a cold climate.