Insulating product......Insuladd

Started by pioneergal, April 16, 2006, 05:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pioneergal

http://www.insuladd.com/

Insuladd ......insulating additive
Has anyone used or ever heard about this product?

pioneergal

Amanda_931

Probably works as well as a single layer of mylar film--the bubble stuff might insulate more--except that there would be less in the way of nail holes and other punctures.

IMHO

There are also some paints that substitute for housewrap.

pioneergal

QuoteProbably works as well as a single layer of mylar film--the bubble stuff might insulate more--except that there would be less in the way of nail holes and other punctures.

IMHO

There are also some paints that substitute for housewrap.

Hi Amanda,
I have not heard of these products or the housewrap substitute.
Since we are nearing  this stage of building I'm beginning to check out some of these products.
There are so many products on the market....some good some bad.

firefox

Somehow I don't quite buy their claims. This is not bassed on any specific facts though,
just a gut reaction to their adds. I would research this completely before making any purchases.
Sorry to be negative, but I figure it's better to be cautious.
Bruce

Amanda_931

the paints work like regular paints, in fact sometime regular paints are used for the purpose.  Put on the walls in the interior of the house.

They don't exactly work like housewrap, but do serve a similar purpose.

Just one sentence here:

http://doityourself.com/info/vaporbarriers  

QuoteIn areas of high humidity where moisture in the attic could still be a problem, a vapor barrier paint can be applied over the inside ceilings.

Apparently better for cold climates than warm--although the gov't seems to start cold temperatures quite a ways south of where I would:

http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumer/your_home/insulation_airsealing/index.cfm/mytopic=11810

manhattan42

These products are designed to reflect radiant heat, not necessarily increase R value.

They work in ways similar to Plytanium or other radiant membranes:

http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx?pname=Plytanium%E2%84%A2+Thermostat%E2%84%A2+Radiant+Barrier+Sheathing&pid=1398&hierarchy

InsulAdd paint will increase your structure's insulating values by about an R value of 1.5.

There are better ways to increase insulation at better prices, and the benefit of radiant heat loss/gain reduction will depend on your area.

If you live in Southern California where radiant heat absorption from the sun will increase energy costs by increasing cooling bills, products like this can work and work well.

If you live in the Pacific Northwest were it is cloudy and mild most days, you will likley see little benefit from such a product.

NELSELGNE

I saw this on TV a year ago and found out that the "save up to 40%" results were actually more like 3 to 5 pecent; depending on location.  NOT WORTH THE PURCHASE PRICE!

jraabe

Manhattan's advice agrees with mine.

Every few years there seems to be a new reflective barrier product that touts high energy savings.

As far as I know the only place that reflective barriers have actually turned out to be cost effective in real world testing is when used in vented attics in Florida (and probably other hot summer locations). These were films placed under the rafters to reflect the radiant heat back out. They worked as long as the reflective surface could be kept clean. Dust and grime quickly degrades performance.

In other locations (such as walls and floors) and other products, the savings, if any, did not justify the cost.

The one place I have used reflective barriers is in beam and plank roofs where the insulation is above the decking. If you can find it, make the upper layer Thermax foil faced isocyanurate. If you strap the roof for a vent cavity it gives you an air space for the foil to work in. The foil face comes free with the expensive insulation so you might as well have it work for you. After many years of being up there it probably has little reflective value left.

Amanda_931

Y'all did notice that roofing felt (tarpaper, etc.) worked best in that chart.