LAMINATED BEAMS

Started by cre90602, April 07, 2006, 11:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cre90602

i BOUGHT A TRAILER FROM A LOCAL BUILDER IN TOWN WE GOT TO CHATTING ABOUT SPANS ON 2X LUMBER HE THEN POINTED SOMETHING OUT NEW TO ME HE SAID THAT BY TAKING 2-2X12 AND PUTTING 7/16 PARTICLE BOARD SHEATHING ONT HE OUTSIDE OF EACH AND SANDWICHING ANOTHER SHET BTWEEN THE 2 IT HAS THE STRETH OF A GLULAM HE SHOWED ME AN EXAMPLE IN HIS SHOP/ LFT HOUSE HE HAS 2X12 SPANNING 24FT FLOOR ABOVE HIS SHOP AND HIS LIVING QAUTERS ABOVE AND HE HAS SOME BIG FUNITURE UP THERE HAS ANYONE ELSE HEARD OF THIS THE 2X ARE DOUG FIR AND ITS GLUED AND NAILED AND CARRAIGE BOLTED TOGHETHER

tjm73

Please turn off your caps.  ;)  No need to yell.

I know there is a thread on laminated beams cause I was asking about them a few months ago.  If you do a search you should find them.

FrankInWI

You may maximize response to your question if you turn off the capital letters and use sentences and punctuation.  Hope you don't find my comment rude, I don't mean it to be.
god helps those who help them selves

cre90602

Sorry about the caps  :-[,

PEG688

Quotei BOUGHT A TRAILER FROM A LOCAL BUILDER IN TOWN WE GOT TO CHATTING ABOUT SPANS ON 2X LUMBER HE THEN POINTED SOMETHING OUT NEW TO ME HE SAID THAT BY TAKING 2-2X12 AND PUTTING 7/16 PARTICLE BOARD SHEATHING ONT HE OUTSIDE OF EACH AND SANDWICHING ANOTHER SHET BTWEEN THE 2 IT HAS THE STRETH OF A GLULAM HE SHOWED ME AN EXAMPLE IN HIS SHOP/ LFT HOUSE HE HAS 2X12 SPANNING 24FT FLOOR ABOVE HIS SHOP AND HIS LIVING QAUTERS ABOVE AND HE HAS SOME BIG FUNITURE UP THERE HAS ANYONE ELSE HEARD OF THIS THE 2X ARE DOUG FIR AND ITS GLUED AND NAILED AND CARRAIGE BOLTED TOGHETHER

It might work in practice , for a while , it will sag under it's own weight in time. It could snap at any time as it is over spanned , under sized , and under built, IMO.

It would never "Meet code" even in a very easy code area , forget it in a earthquake area or high wind area.

If  and this is a big if , the "Partical board " I'd guess really OSB, where replaced with 1/4 " plate steel that was say 12' long , and that steel was centered at the break of the wood joist it might  be better but it wouldn't be as good as  a gluelam , of similar thickness or width.

Just cuz some one did it , doesn't make it right.

Any engineers want to take a stab it this ??      
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

cre90602

manhattan42

The builder is a moron.

For spanning and load purposes only the 2x12s are considered. The OSB pieces are simply  'fillers' and have no real bearing capacity in cases like these.

These 2 2x12s cannot span 24 feet even if they are #ss Douglas Fir and are spaced 12" on center.

It would be close, but no cigar.

At #2 Douglas Fir and 16" on center, the maximum span is 17' 10".

What your builder friend has is a bouncy, undersized and overstressed floor system that would never meet code and might even collapse with he and his his loved ones on board under the right conditions.

For building advice, take his, then do the exact opposite....

cre90602

Thanks for confirming that Manhattan I ws hoping u would reply

manhattan42

Actually, I'm half asleep and gave you the wrong information.

The allowable span for a girder made from 2 Doug Fir 2x12s is only about 8' feet! :o

The spans in my previous post are for individual joists when part of a floor assembly.

You're buddy's floor system is an catastrophe waiting to happen.