Questions about builder's level

Started by That One Guy, April 05, 2006, 10:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

That One Guy

Gettin' ready to build a shop/temporary living quarters this spring.  Purchasing some tools that I will need to get the job done right and could use some input about builder's levels.  I'm leaning toward Stabila brand as I hear they are some of the best.  If so, the price is reflected in the quality I'm assuming as this brand is the most expensive I've found.  There are all kinds on the shelves from name brands as Stanley, Starrett, Johnson, etc. to no name brands.  Anybody have an opinion and/or working experience with any of these levels?  I'm thinking a 48" and 18" would do for just about anything I will encounter.  Any input would be appreciated.

jonsey/downunder

My choice would be to pay the extra and go with the Stabila. Unless you lose it you'll have it for life, I've had mine 20 years. Get both the 48" and 18" that should do most of what you want. A small 8" torpedo Level with Angle Measuring Device will also come in handy from time to time if you have a few spare dollars.
I've got nothing on today. This is not to say I'm naked. I'm just sans........ Plans.

glenn kangiser

I agree with Jonesy - I use Stabila for leveling structural steel columns 30 feet tall - very accurate.  I use the 48" and 18" - I got them in a combination pack.  Mine have the magnets built in for steel work -- they also make them without magnets.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

That One Guy

Hey, thanks for the input about the Stabila levels.  I've finally got a lead on a set here in Alaska at the local building supply house. A package deal on a 48" and 16" sold as a promo from Stabila.  I earlier  found the very same package on Amazon.  When I attempted to purchase through them I was told that the item could not be sent to an Alaskan address.