Michigan 20 x 34 1-1/2 story- New interior pics

Started by AAA-DAY, May 03, 2006, 02:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AAA-DAY

Well, it's been a long winter! It feels good to finally get back to the cabin. But, no baby deer yet. I have taken more pictures of the latest updates and hope to post them as soon as I can get the posting issues I am having staightened out. In the meantime, I am enjoying everyone else's project updates!

AAA-DAY

I hope I have my issues straightened out! Here goes...

Just wanted to share our progress if you care to see! To update, we have been busy putting the stone on the chimney and around the bottom of the outside. In addition, we poured the large porch. Landscaping will hopefully be this summer. The porch overhangs will have to wait until a better economy  :(

We have been busy finishing out the trim work, and decorating the inside.  [shocked]

We can not afford to put flooring in at this time, but we did paint the bathroom and bedroom floor with basement floor paint.  :o

We put in transom windows above the bedroom door and bathroom door. Here is the bedroom one.  :D

We also finished the trim in the loft and storage cubby doors.  8)

That is pretty much where we are left now. Hopefully the outside landscaping will receive our attention this summer. It sure would be nice to look at some green stuff instead of dirt across the septic field  ;)

Thanks for allowing us to share our project's progression!

glenn kangiser

Thanks for posting the update, AAA-DAY.  Outstanding job.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

Very handsome job Amy. :D First cabin all the way.

We lived for a couple of years on a painted plywood subfloor. It was really no problem and easy to repaint when needed.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

CWhite

Your home was an inspiration to me while I built mine, and I am very impressed with your attention to details inside.
The interior door sure does add a heightened look inside the bedroom.  I am equally impressed with the exterior finished chimney stone.  Great job on that.  Landscaping sounds like another perfection project for you, but I think it fit so naturally into the landscape now, I can't wait to see what you do to improve it if you'll post pictures further in. 

I am going to build a plate rack cabinet much like the one pictured in your kitchen.  Would you mind posting a picture of it closer up so that I might see it?  thanks if you can.  I'm still working on details in my house, and very much enjoying living in it. 

Christina

AAA-DAY

Christina,

Thank you so much for the post. I took a peak at your photo collection link, talk about attention to detail! What a stunner.  :) I absolutely love the carving details in your home. The floors in your lower level are just wonderful. My husband (Dan) poured and finished our floor with the intention of doing acid staining on the concrete, but we didn't take care of the poured floor while constructing and it was so stained and full of construction gunk, that we couldn't do it. Now seeing yours, I am so bummed that we didn't put more care into protecting the finished concrete while building.  :( 

Well, here is the plate rack Dan built for the cabin. I finished it in a flat black paint, sanding some "years" into the paint, then stained it with a gel stain. I finished it with 3 coats of rub on satin finish poly. Please post your finished rack, I LOVE to see handmade pieces.

Good Luck with your project!
Amy

Mike 870

Looks great.  I love the stonework and the wood trim contrasts with the sheetrock walls really well in the bedroom.

Sassy

Beautiful, Amy!  Really enjoyed looking at your pix & the progress you made.  I'm with Christina, the yard looks good as is with the pine trees & the wonderful way you've done the stone work around the base of the house & chimney.  It is always nice to look at some green, but Glenn would say, plant a garden - he doesn't have much love for grass yards... 

I noticed the plate rack, also - so your husband made it?  Very nice - I could use one of those...  again, the house is beautiful - your work is something to be proud of - even without the finished floors, most people won't even know  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

AAA-DAY

Sassy and Mike, Thanks so much for your kind words. The problem we are having with dirt is the LARGE septic field. We can't plant anything that will put down roots (for obvious reasons!) I am not sure what else to cover this field with that will keep the dust and weeds at bay. It seems that grass is the least complicated thing. Any other suggestions fit for a septic field. I would appreciate all suggestions!
Amy

glenn kangiser

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

AAA-DAY

Glenn,
OK, I will be glad to PM Daddymem ... but what does PM mean?  ???

glenn kangiser

Private message.  That way you may get an answer sooner.  You just click on his name on one of his postings or member profile and it will give you the option to send him a private message.  If he has notification turned on it will pop up a message notice to him next time he signs in.  (Here he is an off duty septic system engineer and general good guy). :)

AAA-DAY

Thanks! I will do that, and now I will always know what PM means!

deertracks

Can you please tell me what finish you used on your interior pine? We are trying to get a rich golden tone with a satin-look finish. We will have pine interior doors and trim but not all the lovely pine in the cathedral ceiling for now. If I missed this info posted elsewhere in your site, I apologize.

Your house is wonderful and I'm sure it will make it hard to leave when vacation is over!!

John Raabe

Deertracks:

According to the Owner-Builder Gallery page the interior pine was prefinished - (probably with a type of polyurethane).

There is more information here about the materials and finishes used in this house:

http://www.countryplans.com/amydan.html

Here is a link to how one supplier of prefinished pine paneling does their two coat process.

http://www.buffalo-lumber.com/pine-paneling.htm

John Raabe

PS - Here's a photo from Deertracks' project and the Snapfish gallery link she sent me.

glenn kangiser

AAA-DAY

Hi Deertrack's,

John is correct, we did buy it prefinished with 2 coats of clear water based poly. It was available in a "candlelight" finish for an upcharge. This was a water based, also, but it was tinted a golden color. The company sent us actual pieces of the wood in both colors. We wanted the more golden color, but really didn't want to pay the additional charge, so we went with the clear.

The ceiling, doors, and trim in the bathroom and bedroom, however, was bought unfinished and we finished it with 2 coats of oil based poly. This gave it a wonderful golden tone that we loved. It was a lot messier, smellier, and more work, but the finished golden color was worth the effort.

Hope this helps!   Amy

deertracks

Thanks John and Amy... that helps.
Hopefully some day I'll have inside pics to show!!

irish25

How much would it cost to put up the cabin/house? A guesstimate. Thanks! Jerry

glenn kangiser

I think some have done it themselves for $50 psf plus or minus.  w* to the forum, Jerry.

apaknad

hi jerry,

welcome. what part of mi. you from? i live near jackson. alot of smart people here and some great ideas.
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

rakuz66

Cabin looks great!.  Did you use a ridge beam?

AAA-DAY

Hi Rakuz66. No, we didn't use a ridge beam. We used a ridge board because it was a less expensive alternative. A ridge beam that long would be very costly and hard to get back into the woods. Instead, we used two 2 x 12 x 20's spliced together with a scarf joint.

smcdaniel345

How did you support the second floor?  My husband and I are building a 20x42 with a 20x18 loft.  Like your floor plan, the bedroom/bathroom wall downstairs is not center (or even close to it).  My brother is law wants me to move the bathroom wall over so it's closer to center, but I like the layout I have.  Also, the upper floor has a wall down the center to divide the area into 2 rooms.  What options do I have to support the upper section?