Under stair storage access doors.

Started by PEG688, March 22, 2008, 03:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEG688

Here's a little storage area door I just did , totally non code conforming due to fire containment codes , but hey there was on permit pulled on this one  ;)

RO ,

we didn't sheet rock the closet to save $$ , those brick  in the back ground are from a fireplace backed up on that wall.

Doors installed ,

3/4" shop Birch paint grade doors hung off Blum euro / concealed hinges ,

When the doors come to a point like these do you have to relieve the back edge like I did here , I knew this was going to happen , DAMHIKT, so I cut and edge banded the top corner in the shop before I took them to the site.

The blue tape are  temporary handles to open the doors .     
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Redoverfarm

MountainDon

You had one image not wanting to come up, PEG. I took the liberty of doing a little remodel on the image link.

Nice access for the area. Push / spring / magnetic catch going in there?  It has a name, I don't know it off hand.  ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Good job - thanks for the details, PEG.

Temporary handles. hmm 

Does that mean I have to change out my permanent handles?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Quote from: MountainDon on March 22, 2008, 03:22:19 PM

You had one image not wanting to come up, PEG. I took the liberty of doing a little remodel on the image link.

Nice access for the area. Push / spring / magnetic catch going in there?  It has a name, I don't know it off hand.  ???

Thanks Mtn D .

The hinges themselves are spring loaded , no catch's needed . You can get them , the hinges, un sprung as well then use a touch latch / mag type catch , which I thought of but decided handle would be more user friendly as this is a teenage boys basement / bedroom . With it's own door to outside , which can again DAMHIKT , can be a issue in and of it's self [shocked] [frus]
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MountainDon

Quote from: PEG688 on March 22, 2008, 03:38:18 PM
a teenage boys basement / bedroom . With it's own door to outside , which can again DAMHIKT , can be a issue in and of it's self [shocked] [frus]
::)   I'd have that barricaded until (a) they're married or (b) they move out.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.