My 16x24 1.5 story cabin

Started by busted knuckles, October 31, 2017, 05:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busted knuckles

This cabing build is in the southern okanagan valley of b.c.. I built it on piers, thinking it would be faster and cheaper. It was neither. The piers are all tied into a 14"thick x 18" wide perimeter footing. Form for footing is called fast foot. Its a woven poly material.

I could not find stakes to pound into ground to support the form board, so I made up some brackets and suspended the form board from the top.

The anchors are 3/16 x 3" hot dip galvanized cold roll. I drilled some holes and added some bolts near the bottom of the anchor to prevent pull out.

Built up beams with an anchor...

Concrete pad for the center beam support to sit on...
you know that mugshot of Nick Nolte? I wish I looked that good.

North Sask

Looks like a great start to your project. I'm planning a similar project (16x24 cabin) a few thousand km's east and a few hundred km's north. Your pier and beam foundation is somewhat unique in that you've included a strip footing. I'm assuming the piers/columns were directly tied into the strip footing with reinforcing steel. If so, you'll have a foundation that is much more resistant to horizontal loading (wind) than many pier & beam foundations. I'm still debating between the pier & beam or a strip footing with a PWF wall. My site is very remote so every pound of material matters.

Are you planning to hang floor joists between the beams with joist hangers or will you rest the joists on top with a rim board?

Looking forward to more photos.
It would be greatly appreciated if you stopped by my thread and left your two cents.
Great Northern Saskatchewan Adventure...Round 2

ChugiakTinkerer

Looks like a gorgeous location!  Your steel anchors will also minimize the chance of the beams rolling due to lateral forces.  That's a nicely done bit of work.  Yours is probably one of the few pier and post foundations that will get a grudging thumbs up here.   :D

My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

Don_P

You're assuming a strip footing is beam enough to take load down the piers, deliver it to the ground and not snap between piers. A strip footing is meant to be fairly uniformly loaded. Dunno. Look at pier and curtain wall as a minimum example. A rubble stone foundation pops into my mind seeing all that foundation material laying around. It would keep that impending wildfire out from underneath too.

akwoodchuck

Quote from: Don_P on November 06, 2017, 05:52:31 PM
You're assuming a strip footing is beam enough to take load down the piers, deliver it to the ground and not snap between piers. A strip footing is meant to be fairly uniformly loaded. Dunno. Look at pier and curtain wall as a minimum example. A rubble stone foundation pops into my mind seeing all that foundation material laying around. It would keep that impending wildfire out from underneath too.

Amen and amen...don't want to get too settled in my armchair here....but a pressure treated foundation wall woulda been an easy day, you'd have an instant crawl/ storage/utility space.....and it'd be to code....
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."

busted knuckles

I would not do a pier foundation again. I am happy with everything for the most part, but now I need to skirt.  This was done last year.

busted knuckles

I have been living on the property for about 2 years. I built a small cabin, 8' x 12' to live in during the build. I thought I would be in the new house by the end of summer. I was wrong.  This year I installed the windows, my buddy built some stairs going to second floor.  I added an 8x8 mudroom to the side of the house, just for some storage, and to keep jackets and boots from encroaching on the smaller living area.  I also got the house sided this summer. I installed hardieplank. It was nice stuff. Quite affordable. Cheaper than sheetmetal, but the install was more money. My buddy and I did it, so his wages added up.