Back from Chesaw with pictures!

Started by Willy, March 20, 2008, 10:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willy

Well it is time to start building now. I can start in a week or less on it. Very little snow on the ground and the top 3 inches is a little frozen still. I dug a test hole real easy in the ground for the pier posts. I also open up a view thru the trees to see down the valley. The dirt is great for digging no rocks and pretty solid with out mud or water in the ground. The ground dampness stopped at 20 inches then it dried out. I took a couple picture today.
This picture is looking South East in the center of the cabin site looking out where a view window will be.

This is looking out off the porch and view window area taking from the cabin site.

This is looking twords the circle drive way and parking area. The drive way will come off the road thru the trees on the left and curve back up onto the road. The parking area will be near the lower right hand corner and a 5 ft wide path will go up to the cabin. This picture was taken standing where the porch goes. Mark

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Willy

Quote from: glenn kangiser on March 20, 2008, 10:58:52 PM
Good deal, Mark.  Nice property.
Thanks and I did not sink out of site in the mud. Actually the ground is just a little damp and no mud at all. The road was a little muddy cause the snow just melted off it and has not dried off yet. I will be grading the 3/10s of a mile to the county road when I go back up in a few days after the VA visit this weekend. Mark

Willy

Quote from: Sassy on March 20, 2008, 11:13:18 PM
Beautiful area, Willy... 
The neibor to the north of me is 2/3rds done with a 2 story cabin he started last year. He is working on it now. It is a 16 by 24 two story one and is real nice. It will be hard to keep up with the Joneses but at least we are building sorta the same size and look. He is finishing his the same way I will be doing mine. Mark

Redoverfarm

Good looking parcel of land.  I assume the cabin will be facing the largest/closest mountain range in the first picture.  Hard to tell what the elevation of the house site will be as all the pic's are from there, Is there a lot of elevation to deal with. What I mean is the front porch going to be that far off the ground or will the back have a walk-in to the cabin or porch?  From what you have said doesn't sound like a septic is going to be a problem.

ScottA

Great looking spot Mark! Very western.

Willy

Quote from: Redoverfarm on March 21, 2008, 06:18:43 AM
Good looking parcel of land.  I assume the cabin will be facing the largest/closest mountain range in the first picture.  Hard to tell what the elevation of the house site will be as all the pic's are from there, Is there a lot of elevation to deal with. What I mean is the front porch going to be that far off the ground or will the back have a walk-in to the cabin or porch?  From what you have said doesn't sound like a septic is going to be a problem.
The porch will face the road and the building site is level right now. I am standing in the middle of the cabins foot print taking the pictures. The 1st picture of the valley and mountains is looking out the back of the cabins living room view window (when built) and about 30 ft from the back of the cabin the hill starts to slope down. After it drops around 75 ft in height it levels off again where that line of trees I cut the opening into. I picked the thinest spot to open up. The trees to the right and left are around 80-100 ft deep and thick. The cabin site has natural drainage for run off and snow melt and sorta sits on a knob in the property. Looking off the porch that is all my land in the picture and also twords the drive way area. Looking twords the valley all the land in the picture except the far mountain area is mine. This way I allways know my view will be in my control. I don't think any homes built on the far hillside will bug me. I would like to put a deck off the back of the cabin but that is up in the air right now. The cabins floor sits 24 inches off the ground all the way around it and level 10-20 ft out from the edge then it starts to go up (porch side) or slope off on the back side. Mark

deertracks

Nice spot... how many acres do you have? It will be a great building site. Looks like you have some
good open areas to get plenty of sun. We'll be looking forward to seeing your ground breaking.

Willy

Quote from: deertracks on March 22, 2008, 12:26:51 AM
Nice spot... how many acres do you have? It will be a great building site. Looks like you have some
good open areas to get plenty of sun. We'll be looking forward to seeing your ground breaking.
It is 13 1/2+ acres and it does get good sun which will be handy for the winter along with the drop off behind to help keep blowing snow from building up. True ground breaking should be Wednesday and Thursday. Mark

Redoverfarm

Willy don't forget to take your Gold shovel for the event.  Won't be long before you can start a thread of the project. Give it a snappy name.

Willy

Quote from: Redoverfarm on March 22, 2008, 07:02:19 AM
Willy don't forget to take your Gold shovel for the event.  Won't be long before you can start a thread of the project. Give it a snappy name.
One thing that has been handy waiting is I got to think more about the building part. I have made some good changes that never would have happen if I started a long time ago! The Gold Shovel will be the Gasoline Driving There! Mark

deertracks

Even though waiting is hard, getting to know your property is a great idea.
My hubby camped on our 10 acres quite a bit the year before we broke ground while getting all the septic
and well permits in order. Like you, we have lots of trees and were on a hillside which limited where
we could build but you can get a great idea of where the sun is at diffferent times of the year.
Good luck with your project. Sorry for you that you are starting it when gas is so darn high.
Just remember... what you will have when done.... priceless, as the commercial says!!

Willy

Headed out in the morning to the cabin site in First Class! It will be a convoy of 3 trucks headed up. Mine will be pulling the trailer with the tractor on it plus all the wood, tools, hardware, fuel, generator, water ect for the peir posts and beams to get it ready for the floor. Another one ton 4x4 will be hauling a 20 ft camp trailer and 2400 lbs of ready mix. Last truck is a freind who lent me the trailer for a few months to make it a nicer stay then sleeping on the ground. Now I will have heat, cushey bed, tolet, shower ect . Tomorrow it is supposed to snow a few inches up there again but heck now I can warm up once in a while and deal with it better. The 20 degs in the mornings won't be so bad getting up in a trailer insted of a tent!. So it will be 2-3 days before more pictures. I am also grading the 3/10s of a mile road coming in and putting my drive way in. Can't come home till it is done. Mark

Redoverfarm

Good Luck Mark. Don't forget an extra spark plug for the generator.  Would be a real PIA for it to foul out. 

Willy

Quote from: Redoverfarm on March 25, 2008, 06:40:59 PM
Good Luck Mark. Don't forget an extra spark plug for the generator.  Would be a real PIA for it to foul out. 
I am taking my Water Tender tool kit it has 3 extra pump plugs, either, rope, and tons of other emergincy tools, meters ect. I even got a good first aid kit. Mark