Tapping into sewer and water on the property?

Started by Steve_B, December 11, 2012, 02:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_B

Hello All...

I understand the concept and process of installing rough drains.... but what exactly is the process of tapping into the water and the sewer line when you have the two stub lines already on your property?

Is it easy to do, or is there certain plumbing skills involved higher then the average man has?

Reason I ask is.... I am a month or so away from starting the concrete slab, and I absolutely can not find any plumber who "wants" to do the work for me, as they either say they do not make enough money for it, or they are above doing that menial work.... they tell me flat out NO or never call me back or never return my calls.... being a semi ruraal area there are limited plumbers in the area.... I've also tried septic companies with no luck in wanting to do it!

Is tapping the two stub lines as easy as connecting pvc pipe, or is it a harder process??

It's all about the kiddies I tell you...

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

If the two stub lines are service from a governing body ( water board, public service or etc...) then they should be responsible to connect to what you have going to them.  The how would depend on what is already there.   

diyfrank

Have you tried contacting an excavating contractor that does residential construction?
You need to know the local requirements for that area but it is as easy as connecting two lines together.

Around here plumber do work inside and utility contractors handle everything outside.
Home is where you make it

roadtripray

Are you doing your own slab or are you contracting that out?   If you are contracting that out maybe that contractor can do it or knows someone who can.

Steve_B

The slab is being farmed out...

All good replies and will check into these and see if it leads me to someone....

I am almost tempted to do the rough in myself, just not sure how to connect it to the two stub lines on the property

Rob_O

Quote from: Redoverfarm on December 11, 2012, 03:28:38 PM
If the two stub lines are service from a governing body ( water board, public service or etc...) then they should be responsible to connect to what you have going to them.  The how would depend on what is already there.

They might have already set a meter. If they have, it's his responsibility to connect his line to the stub they left. Same with the sewer line, if they've tapped the main and left him a pipe... at least that's how it works around here

Quote from: Steve_B on December 11, 2012, 02:32:19 PM

I understand the concept and process of installing rough drains.... but what exactly is the process of tapping into the water and the sewer line when you have the two stub lines already on your property?

Is it easy to do, or is there certain plumbing skills involved higher then the average man has?

The sewer line should be above the main, and the water can be turned off at the meter. Hooking up should require nothing more than standard tools and moderate knowledge to use them. Speak with your utilities about their requirements for backflow preventers and such
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

Steve_B

Quote from: Rob_O on December 12, 2012, 09:18:01 PM
They might have already set a meter. If they have, it's his responsibility to connect his line to the stub they left. Same with the sewer line, if they've tapped the main and left him a pipe... at least that's how it works around here

The sewer line should be above the main, and the water can be turned off at the meter. Hooking up should require nothing more than standard tools and moderate knowledge to use them. Speak with your utilities about their requirements for backflow preventers and such

After a few calls and missing each other ( the water and sewer department consists of only one person ) we finally talked and he was very helpful in answering questions

He checked the records and the sewer tap is already installed on that property right now ( WOW I just saved $1,200 but not needing to buy one ) and no backflow is needed on the property!

He did say it would be in my best interest to go to the lot and hacksaw off the glued on cap on the sewer stub line and drop a tape measure down the stub line and see how far down it goes and then subtract the height of the stub line sticking out of the ground to see how far down the line is..... then figure out the math in how far the drain line will be ran factoring in at least a 1/4" drop per every foot ran to be SURE ahead of time I have the correct drop needed for the line!

The lots are only a few inches above street level, and he did say a few houses close by had to have a few inches of foundation added to accommodate the needed drop for the drain line

He was even kind enough to swing by the property and eyeball it and he "thinks" there should be no problems at all with building on it

So... this begs the question.... does anyone know of a beginners guide to installing rough drains yourself in easy layman's terms?

Running it would seem easy, but factoring in the vents and such may be tricky???

flyingvan

I used this http://www.amazon.com/Plumbing-Complete-Expert-Advice-Tauntons/dp/1561588555  written at a very user friendly level.  That was a great tip he gave to check the height of the structure for proper fall---that could sure save someone a lot of hassle down the road.  I made the mistake of going with 4" main drain---flows great, but by code the cross section area of all your through-roof vents has to be equal to or greater than that of the main drain.  If I had gone with 3" main, it would have made things easier
Find what you love and let it kill you.

Steve_B

Made a trip out  to the property yesterday to check a few things out

First was to check the sewer and how deep it was.... If I subtract the 60" of stub line sticking out of the ground from the 106" that the nut tied to the string dropped down.... that would give me roughly 46" the sewer is below ground.... planning on a 1/4" drop for every foot ran, if my math is correct, that would give me 184' that I can run the sewer line

Plenty in reserve as I only need less then 100' of rough drain I guess