14 x 24 Olympic Peninsula

Started by considerations, May 06, 2008, 07:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deedonke2

[cool]way of getting his point across but now he has to eat out of his feed bucket.been dropping in on your sight,and have to cogradulate you on job well done and the timely manner your doing it in.getherdone as the say.good luck!
darrell

considerations

Wow, thanks...I'm champing at my own bit to get more done...the sun is shining and saying the "R" word is verbotten around here for the moment. 

1/2 the metal is on the roof...but no work tomorrow.  The boys will be back on Friday to do that.  My job is to get skylights and Tyvek....yep sorry guys, Tyvek is the Rx strongly recommended by "the boys" for the outside walls.  They say it will get me through winter and I can spend money in the inside that way and make things marginally habitable.   I've read all the discussions re: felt paper and rain screens, etc. and looked at lots of pics on this site with Tyvek and probable equivalents in them....should be ok.

I do so want out of this 5th wheel, so I'm doing it. 

Yep, that and a few doors and windows, a flashlight and a wood stove..ummm and a chamber pot..Viola!  Instant home!  8)  (if you can call May to September "instant")

Mister Buckethead is probably one of the gentlest creatures I've had the pleasure of caring for.  And he can be really goofy.. However, he does not care about eating out of the bowl after having put his feet in it...And I won't tell you what that old mare does to the hay after it's been on the ground a few hours....there are some things about horses I will probably never understand.

glenn kangiser

At least you can make an informed decision, Considerations. 

Horses and I get along OK as long as both of us are on the ground. ::)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

considerations

I got short sheeted!   We're gliding along, I pull roofing sheets off the pile and hand them up to the guy on the scaffold who slides theem into place while the guy on the ridge gets them lined up and they screw them down while i go get another sheet....we're halfway down the roof, things are going well, and I picked up the last sheet.  What!?  Yep, the roofing folks sent me 16 out of 20.  Kind of took the wind out of our sails. 

I called the building supply store who promptly asked me if I'd double sheeted any where (sure)...anyway, I guess they'll get back to me tomorrow.   We started framing the gable ends.  grrrrr..... >:(

glenn kangiser

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

considerations

Yeah, me too, they are going to finish filling the order however.  That's the good news.

It's OK to insulate the floor now right?  I need to get that pile out from under tarps and where it belongs as soon as possible.  Who knows whats crawling around in there by now.  [scared]

That should keep me good and dirty and sore for a few days.

PEG688

Quote from: considerations on September 16, 2008, 07:16:43 PM

It's OK to insulate the floor now right? 

Thats a depends answer.

1: Yes, IF your not running any wires , plumbing , heating , or other items under the floor.

#2: Do you need to get a framing inspection? If yes , then no do not insulate.

So really it depends. 
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

considerations

Thanks for the voice of reason PEG, (read "darn!").  There are plumbing and wiring considerations. 
I'll think about where they have to go and see if I can work around them at all or just put it off entirely.

Redoverfarm

considerations if you are worried about the present storage location there would be nothing wrong with stowing them under the foundation to keep them dry until you can get ready to install them.  But be careful about using this storage location as alot of other things will find their way under there as well. ;D

PEG688

Quote from: considerations on September 16, 2008, 08:17:37 PM

Thanks for the voice of reason PEG, (read "darn!").  There are plumbing and wiring considerations. 
I'll think about where they have to go and see if I can work around them at all or just put it off entirely.

Sequence , sequence , sequence. Red's idea of using it (under floor) for storage may help you out.   

MountainDon

Can I ask what your plans are for keeping critters out of the insulation? Some. like mice, are not at all bothered by the fiberglass and love to burrow in for a nice warm place to raise families.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

One I am working on now - crawlspace - concrete block perimeter footing - insulated floor with no protection - insulation even in there is about 1/3 pulled down by raccoons - dogs - critters etc.  It did have wire strung under it every foot or so.

MountainDon

Quote from: glenn kangiser on September 16, 2008, 10:53:45 PM
  It did have wire strung under it every foot or so.

The wires just give the mice something to practice their high wire abilities on.   ;D

We've decided to on a three part system

1. On the inside edge of the beams there will be a section of 12 inch wide 1/4" hardware cloth, bent to an L shape with a four inch and an 8 inch arm. The four inch arm will be nailed to the beam, the 8 inch will be up against the bottom of the floor joists.

2. Cover the underside between the beams with 3/8" plywood sheets leaving about 4 to 6 inches of the hardware cloth uncovered. Seams will be caulked and perhaps covered with batten boards. Areas under the plumbing, gas pipes, wiring that passes though the floor will have panels sized appropriately and ecured with screws to facilitate access if necessary.

3. The area from the outside edge of the beam to the rim joist will be covered in with solid 1x material. Seams and joints will be caulked. I decided to use solid lumber over anything else as there will be some splash up from rain if we finally decide to leave the cabin unskirted.

And I'm likely going to hire my out of work carpenters/roofers/handymen to do it. I don't lie the idea of crawling, laying on my back under the cabin anymore than I liked the idea of roof walking on metal.   :D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

"I hate them meeces to pieces."

considerations

I'm planning on this:

1 I have 2 x 6 T&G flooring (done) and liquid nailed to the floor joists as well as nailed (no squeaking)

2 Roxul R 22 (rock wool) batts

3 bird netting stapled to the floor joists to hold the batting against the flooring

4 Air space

5 1/4" hardware cloth "stapled" to the bottom of the floor joists and "sewn" together with wire, because it comes in 3' rolls and the joists are 24" apart.

Thought that would keep the critters out and the insulation in place.

The bottom of the floor is about 50" off the ground.  (gives me room to snake around the cross bracing)

Then a moisture barrier on the ground and the skirting is still a matter of lively debate, but there will be some, with the requisite access and venting.

MountainDon

glenn kangiser

I think you are doing a great job, Considerations....and I didn't even say....for a girl. ::)

Redoverfarm

PEG688

Quote from: considerations on September 17, 2008, 12:24:36 AM
I'm planning on this:

5 1/4" hardware cloth "stapled" to the bottom of the floor joists and "sewn" together with wire, because it comes in 3' rolls and the joists are 24" apart.

How about running a 1x4 utility strapping 90 deg. to the joist on 3' centers , staple the hardware cloth to the 1x3's with a framing stapler like a M-30 Senco gun.

That would #1: Fasten it well to keep the mice out , #2: Allow another breathing space between the wire and the insulation.   

apaknad

glen... you are somethin' else. everytime i am scrolling through the forum to catch up from the previous day i get suprised by some avatar, blurb, characterization, cartoon, etc. and i know w/o even looking at who wrote it that it is the trogladyte. thanx, keep up the good work ;)
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

glenn kangiser

Thanks, Dan ....I can't help it.  I'm crazy.     [panic]

considerations

"running a 1x4 utility strapping 90 deg. to the joist on 3' centers , staple the hardware cloth to the 1x3's with a framing stapler like a M-30 Senco gun"

I think I "get" this.

Running the "strapping": would they be wood so the staples would go in? 

If the 1 x 4 and the 1 x 3 are the same thing and made of wood it sounds easier than sewing the hardware cloth strips together with wire. 

Sorry if I'm being dense.

MountainDon

stapping or furring strip. Cheap utility grade lumber. Much easier than sewing/weaving.

PEG688

Quote from: considerations on September 17, 2008, 10:46:40 AM
"running a 1x4 utility strapping 90 deg. to the joist on 3' centers , staple the hardware cloth to the 1x3's with a framing stapler like a M-30 Senco gun"

I think I "get" this.

Running the "strapping": would they be wood so the staples would go in? 

If the 1 x 4 and the 1 x 3 are the same thing and made of wood it sounds easier than sewing the hardware cloth strips together with wire. 

Sorry if I'm being dense.

I shouldn't have switched sizes , sorry. But yes 1x3's or 4's net 3/4 X  2 1/2" or 3/4" x 3 1/2"  cheap grade ( utility) nailed or gun stapled to the joist bottoms , when the hardware cloth stapled to the 1 bys. Way easier then sewing the cloth together in the crawl space.     

considerations

Splendid!  Thanks for the big timesaving tip.  I'm using it!  :D