4x8 Porch Beam

Started by Alberta Curt, July 06, 2008, 01:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberta Curt

Having trouble finding anyone who supplies 4x8 beams.  Are there any alternatives to using this size beam on the porch? 

PEG688

Wow , you must not be looking very hard  ???   ::) Try a Lumber yard  [frus]  rofl Better watch out Glenn 'll get me  [scared] [toilet]
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Alberta Curt

Not exactly the advice I was looking for, but thanks anyway.

Redoverfarm

You will probably not find the true 4X8 but rather the milled demensions of 3-1/2 X 7-1/2 or maybe they are 7-1/4 now.  If you want a true 4X8 it would have to be special order from a mill.  Haven't looked to see if Lowes or HD have them but any lumberyard can get them for you if they are not on hand.

I just searched Lowes from Washington DC to the Virginias and apparently this must be a special order as none indicated it being in stock.  I would give them a call and see if they can get it for you.  But you would probably have better luck at a local lumberyard.

PEG688

Quote from: Alberta Curt on July 06, 2008, 03:08:38 PM

Not exactly the advice I was looking for, but thanks anyway.

What exactly where you looking for then? A 4x8 , net 3 1/2"x 7 1/4" beam of either Douglas Fir or PT Pine should be easy as finding a 16 penny sinker , lumber yards , of any worth should have plenty / some in stock.

So what exactly where you looking for ? Links in your local area ? Saw mills ??   What???

Alberta Curt

Like I said PEG, I'm looking for alternatives to using a 4x8 beam on the porch.  If it was easy as finding a 16 penny striker, I wouldn't of taken the time to ask the question here in the forum. 

If I knew I was going to get advice like "look in a lumber yard" I would of considered getting my plans somewhere else.

PEG688

Quote from: Alberta Curt on July 06, 2008, 08:05:24 PM

If I knew I was going to get advice like "look in a lumber yard" I would of considered getting my plans somewhere else.

My statements have nothing to do with John or his plan sales , I'm just a member of this forum like you.  I recieve no pay nor perks I do know John as we met at a  WW guild show  a few years ago.And live on the same island , about 40 miles apart. But I have really nothing to do with John or his plan sales.   

If you can't find 4x8 lumber there are alternatives like LVL , Laminate veneer lumber, of LSL a stranded type beam stock , generally those are more expensive but care more load per inch of thickness. They also would be found at a lumber yard , have you checked with supplier in your area ? Which I guess would be Alberta, Canada ? Are you out in the bush? I just can't see how it could be that hard to find a standard D. Fir beam in Alberta.

Sorry if I offended you in anyway  :-[

glenn kangiser

Was that a Full size 4x8, Curt as most times the size is nominal -- in name only - so the finiished sizes would be the 3 5/8 x 7 5/8 or so.

Do you think you could make a built up beam like 2 2x8's and a piece of plywood as we commonly do with the house main beams?

Sometimes we get kidding around here but I have met PEG personally and while he does kid around a bit , he really has the forum members interest at heart and I'm sure he didn't mean to offend you.

It is hard to get your attitude across on the 2 dimensional computer when you can't talk to someone in person so they can see you are kidding but good natured. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

Sometimes it is easier to find a 6x6 and that can work fine on most porch spans. A 4x8 can also be built up as Glenn mentions.

Another easy option is to take the page of the plans into the lumber yard and ask them for a substitution. There are lots of engineered options and local materials that might be move available. A 4x8 is pretty common so they must have something else your local builders use instead.
None of us are as smart as all of us.