18x28 2-story Northern wisc.

Started by Patrick, March 28, 2013, 09:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick

I made some more progress on the siding,not as much as I hoped I killed another air compressor and then it rained and snowed for 2 days which put me inside.I got the main bath wired and lights installed which is really nice, also put lights in the kitchen and added outlets in the bedroom and was able to insulate one wall and one of the shed roofs. Then took a couple days off to hang with the family took them to lake superior to cook hotdogs on the beach then back to bonfire and I made ribs for everyone. Of course I wish I had got more done,But I enjoy the ride probably more than the destination.

azgreg

Love this build. I do have a question though. Was the addition planned from the start or was it a latter thought?

Patrick

We always planned to make it bigger from the start,But after having my whole family up we fast tracked it. We build as we have the money available and plan on one more addition to the lakeside,But we are planning to move there permanently before we do that,It is very difficult to build being 3 hours away.We are shooting for 2 years from now. Welded the pitless in and installed the pump.

TomT

Impressive Patrick, impressive. Truly a labor of love. [cool]

I meant to ask you way back and keep forgetting. Before you took this on what was your level of knowledge/expertise within the trades?

Solon Springs is great area ... very impressed I am.
Did you ever keep a rough idea of your budget to date? Something remotely close will help us a lot = land is always the huge variable so I am just hoping to get a feel for the build itself.

Headed to Port Wing Wednesday to looksy at a parcel.

It's not easy when things get stretched out over years ... but beats the heck out of a big ol' mortgage.

Patrick

I was  around construction as a kid but was never really interested in it until I needed to replace the roof on my first house.Since then I've built a couple garages,decks finished couple basements and bathrooms .Dug out and underpinned an addition put in inground pool.I also have a technical degree in Industrial Building maintenance and Auto mechanics.there was a pretty decent class in the Maintenance program were 4  of us would build a 10x10 house learned to use a transit,machined moulding,framed walls,windows, hung doors,build cabinets and made countertops.But I never laid 1 block before I built this place.I fixed a transmission for a guy and he came out and helped get me started on the first building and that's all it took for me.Over the years I have found it's not really how much you know about something ,but people who succeed at this are the people that put fear a side and are not afraid to screw stuff up,and believe me I screw tons of stuff up!It takes WAY more perseverance than skill/knowledge but thats my opinion.As for the cost at first i used to tell myself oh I can do do that for a couple thousand and now I pretty much assume anything I do will be 10 grand. But set the land aside I do remember the cost of somethings elect. was 2k to get hooked up I did all prep work,well was 5500.00 cash just to drill and case I did the rest,septic was 5500.00 cash I did all the plumbing, building permit was 1200.00 I think, footing concrete 1200.00 block was 2500.00ish plus about 500 for mortar.building materials around 5000.00 for first part ,windows around 1000.00, plus just tons of misc. stuff I think we spend around 10k per year so far .So we probably into it for 40k but the boardwalk was over 5k also.Hope that helps you out some and if you do pull the trigger and start building just keep remembering that it will all be worth it the end.There have been a lot of trying days for me over the years but I am very satisfied with what I have accomplished.Good luck to you!

BenB

Hey Patrick, want to say we all appreciate info like this! Many of us sitting on the fence afraid of this or that or often the significant other says you can't do it Ben - you to old and lacking the ability. Or it'll break the bank is another one. This type of feedback from you is what can get the ball rolling many times and helps us get a feel for a way to git 'er down.
Thanks. BTW - great looking family. Enjoy the times together as they fly by way to fast!

Patrick

No problem, I heard a bit of neh saying when I started.Now usually all I hear is Holy S__T you built that!Followed by how'd you do this that and the other thing.And for the age thing that has not what I have seen my 70 year father was out helping roof part of the building he's a little slower and needs more breaks but the job gets done regardless.My direct neighbor is building an addition himself this year at 65 years old with arthritis.After we bought this land and started building my older brother bought some land also,thinking he would never be able to. Even if I built the biggest piece of crap building ever, I still would enjoy all the pride that comes with it.It is a journey you can only understand until you do it.I have met and talked to and done business with so many people I would have never met otherwise Its amazing,Not to mention for me anyways how many people want to help when they hear what you are doing labor,donations etc..And me personally I would rather die trying than not try at all.

Patrick

Well its been a while but we are still clipping along with the ball and chain we removed some more stumps and have been burning a lot,most of the plumbing is complete and we have hot water now via electric tank heater.the tub is in upstairs and the main level shower is in and functional.The stove pipe is in and complete for the boiler from the basement through the roof.I installed another window in the upstairs bath and just picked up one more for the mudroom.poured a pad for the deck and am almost ready to put the decking on now.More siding is on and we cleared more of the beach and started the L section of the boardwalk.Called for our garbage cans and started installing kitchen cabinets I had to order another one as the drawings did not match up with reality.We bought some canoes this year and have been able to boat around the lake which has been fun still no fish for us but we are trying.

dablack

It is really coming along great.  We are in our place and still building, so I know it can be rough.  I can't believe you have to travel 3 hrs to work on it.  I just walk up stairs and there is plenty for me to do!  ha!

Patrick

We are working on moving there full time 2 years from now after the oldest finishes grade school then I will start the last addition.But for now we do what we can. Your kitchen island really turned out nice,nice work on that!

Patrick

Well used up another weekend getting banged up and cut up but got alot (in my opinion) of the soffit /fascia done,I hate that stuff.I also added another window which I think really adds alot to the look of the place.Was able to get most the decking on 2 pieces short .Also some more siding and started insulating the upstairs ,hopefully finish that before winter,Finally!No more vacation days until November so progress will be harder if thats possible,LOL![

dablack

With that insulation it is going to be much more comfortable this winter when you visit.

Where did you get the scaffolding?  I need some to start my siding. 

thanks
Austin

Patrick

I got the scaffolding from http://www.scaffoldstore.com/Default.asp out of Houston,TX seems to be ok I got the plywood topped planks,There like a ladder with plywood on top seem to be holding up well so far.I would recommend getting the adjustable feet I really wish I had those.Some day!

dablack

Great!  Thanks for the info!  I looking forward to finally getting some siding up. 

Your place is really coming together. 

Patrick

well here's another update, weather has turned cold again here with some snow to help slow things down but we did manage to get started on clearing for the future shop and Id like to think I learned a little from the first major clearing and this time we burned the brush as we cut we split as much as we could and I stacked and covered the logs we didn't have time to split so hopefully the majority will be usable firewood.We hauled the boiler into the basement thankfully it only weighed 700 lbs otherwise it might have been an issue,LOL!I got a little more insulating done in the kitchen and first floor bedroom I ran all of the radiant heat lines for the second floor,That job is not nearly as fun as it sounds!The chimney is framed in on the first floor and we found an area to add a pantry now.I built a couple cabinets that were not available through menards and the kitchen is moving along nicely. 

Patrick

Photobucket has left the building!

Patrick

I'm still here just got super irritated by the whole photobucket issue i restored this post as best as I have time for. I have made lots of progress on the place , we still have the city house and we are getting ready to sell that this spring. The housing market here is very strong again and are hoping to make a little money to start the final addition. I started building a pole shed,heat is working,kitchen is almost done really moving along .

Patrick

I also planted some blueberry bushes on the boardwalk,we had a bit of flooding this year. I also made another concrete counter top has broken beer bottles and pieces of melted copper in it, I've dubbed it the workin mans counter!

Patrick

Have also been making progress on the bedrooms 

Rys

It's all looking great. Thanks for sharing!

dablack

Lookin really nice.  Where did you get that crazy wide shiplap?  My shiplap is just 5.5" wide.

Good luck on the sale of the other house. 

Austin

Patrick

8" I get it at Menards it has that V cut in the center on the other side as well.

dablack

I see!  There are no menards in TX or any state that touches Texas.  Oh well.   I will keep using my local source that is only 5.5" wide.