Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

You know.... I saw the legs there and it looked a little weird but didn't register until you guys mentioned it..... [ouch]

I was happy just seeing the great picture of the bee...... no wonder it sat so still..... nothing like sucking nutrients to make you feel lazy and want to lay around...

I like the Lumix also but they have had a few failed upgrades - speaking of the ZS10.  The ZS20 and ZS30 are supposed to be fair -- I think the 30 mostly just added WIFI to the 20.  Both have GPS.  Watch because other models don't.

On another note.... my Samsung Note2 bit the big one today.  It served as my backup camera in Burma taking about 4500 pix and many many videos.  I broke and dusted out 2 lLumix Cameras.  Still neither of them had the clean crisp pictures my friend Myo got with his DSLR.

I've been playing with my new 18-300 lens on it. 

Had a dandelion but this one is better...

My mosquito fish are multiplying like crazy...

...and another fire chopper pix for the fire up the road 15 miles....

Makes me want to go out and weed eat.... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

rick91351

Those are great cameras.  As with any tool or new machine practice - practice - practice especially a camera.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

glenn kangiser

I learning a little every day Rick.... a bit carried over from my old film SLRs also.  :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

My Samsung Note2 permanently died yesterday so I was forced to order the Note3..  What can we do anymore without a cell phone.  The NSA is really missing me right about now...... [waiting]

ben2go

Quote from: glenn kangiser on June 05, 2014, 12:04:24 PM
My Samsung Note2 permanently died yesterday so I was forced to order the Note3..  What can we do anymore without a cell phone.  The NSA is really missing me right about now...... [waiting]

rofl

glenn kangiser

I took out the Square Trade warranty so--- $99 for it... $99 deductable... ~$200 --- plus $99 for the new warranty.... I wonder if it is worth it.... but then again... the Phone is about $550 hmm

Adam Roby

Yep... I must be an 'ol timer.  My phone cost me $50 and was a refurb, and I got a $75 credit for buying it.  I have a pay-as-you-go which costs me $10 a month.  I must have some $150 racked up on it that I don't use... I can even text on it,  press "9" 4 times, "3" 2 times, "7" 3 times, "6" 3 time... takes forever but I can still do it!   

glenn kangiser

Yeah... the Note3 is a super computer in a phone pretty well..... so was the 1 and 2 for that matter but it just keeps getting better....

International unlocked lets you use it for tethering your computer without paying exorbitant fees to hook up to the service you are already paying for.....as in... they can't control you.  I love being out of control....   [waiting]

This phone has 96 gigabytes of storage all together... not bad considering that my first hard drive was a whopping 10 megabytes. [shocked]

glenn kangiser

Weedeating and making fire breaks..... there are fires all over this year and at this time the brush only has about 1/4 of the moisture it should have ... even drier than usual for August....

Yesterday my buddy Al came down and went through the hydraulics on the old John Deere backhoe to find a problem that has been bugging me for a couple years... there is a brass intake oil filter screen below the filter for the hydraulic oil.... it was plugged solid.   Great to have friends willing to give you a hand when you need it.

He was interested in my Nikon 55-300 lens I had extra after buying the 18-300 so I sent that home with him.... :)

Off to the valley now.....see what civilization is doing today.. [waiting]

rick91351

Quote from: glenn kangiser on June 14, 2014, 03:09:54 PM
snip.........................................................................
Off to the valley now.....see what civilization is doing today.. [waiting]

Good luck amigo!  Went down the mountain yesterday..to Boise and Nampa area ...  boy oh boy them people is crazy............ :D
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

glenn kangiser

Yes Rick... I understand.  Generally I like to go down the mountain.. do what I have to do then hurry back home....

Took a photo trip last weekend to practice a bit with the new camera...

Tioga pass is open and a thunder storm was supposed to show up giving some good lighting.

I got some pictures of the birds chasing the brine flies at Mono lake....

...and the one back legged grasshopper was quite cooperative allowing me to try some close ups.

I got a backpack and ND filter to try out for my next trip...

glenn kangiser

One of our international student friends is going back to Thailand so we had a quick going away party for him yesterday.

Always a pleasure to get together with this great bunch of international student friends.

Missing something... oh yes ... pictures of food...

Wally is one of the group leaders and the students love to hang out with him.  He is always ready to offer advice or companionship.  Helping them to have family here is his life.  I can count on him to call me whenever there is something good going on that I may want to attend.  He is a great cook too and makes some wonderful Thai Curry and Meat Balls.  :)

I took quite a few pix with my new camera as I want to be in good practice when I am ready to go back to Asia.

glenn kangiser

Trying this out... Linking a Facebook image on here.

I am trying to get enough work done to be able to return to Burma this winter.  In the meantime, networking with my friends there, I have met Ko Tin Maung Hlaing.  His son is coming to UC Davis this fall and I will go meet them when they arrive.  We will try to tear up a bit of California when he is here and I hope I can have my humble dwelling (the Underground Complex) prepared for his visit if we make it this far.  Depends on his time available.

Anyway... today he presented me with a gift online.  His art is done by him and he donates it to presidents and statesman from all over the world.

Ko Tin Maung Hlaing of Yangon, Burma draws art for Presidents and diplomats... such as the President of Myanmar (Burma) and Aung San Suu Kyi.  She was elected president about 20 years ago but was put under house arrest by the military.  About 2010 they started opening up and converting to a democratic government... yes ..bumpy transition but making progress.  I love the Burmese people.  :)

I am flattered that he has now given me this wonderful honor of drawing a genuine California (formerly Oregon) Hillbilly. [ouch]

Ernest T. Bass

Wow, I love that portrait! The style is so organic and rough, yet subtly detailed.. You're photography has been amazing as well, though your locality always has a hand in that.. :)

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

glenn kangiser

Thanks Andrew.  I love the photography and the portrait.  :)

We are setting up a welcoming party at my Thai friends place as it is near Sacramento. 

Ko (title for one of your peers)  Tin Maung Hlaing said he can come and draw everybody... we will have a bunch of International Student friends there also.... any excuse for a bit of fellowship with our extended family. 

rick91351

Sorry Glenn but Tennessee Ernie Ford to me will always be the California Hillbilly.    ;)  Great painting.  Knowing the customs from there - You have honored them greatly to receive that.....  [cool]

glenn kangiser

To me it is an honor to be considered their extended family.  :)

I hope to be able to share some of what I know with them after their being locked away from the outside world for over 50 years.  The people are so wonderful, though... I wonder if bringing them up to speed with the outside world is good for them.... hopefully the future works out to only benefit them in good ways. [waiting]

As we speak the vultures of the West are circling above .... but they are aware of that and have had internal problems with their own former junta rule so hopefully the publicity of being more open will help to slowly bring the things circling under the deep water to the surface and genuinely improve conditions for more of the people.

Now they have some internal civil problems to deal with as the Buddhist majority and Muslim minority get into clashes every so often.  All religions are welcome there for the most part but my friend's son, Myat said that the problems are more majority/minority related rather than state religious intolerance.  For the most part a very gentle and loving people, but there are some who are not as with any society... even Christian such as here in the US. ???

glenn kangiser

I only planted a small garden this year as I planned to be gone most of the summer but did manage to get the tomatoes planted in a new location by the rock wall in front of the pond.  They seem to love it... best tomatoes I have had here I think.

This year is the first year I have put about 4 inches of mulch at the base of the tomatoes also.  They are now about 6 feet tall... by contrast, I put hals of the tomatoes in the upper garden under the oak tree.  They are about 1 1/2 feet tall.  I am also putting on Fish Emulsion fertilizer to help keep gophers away... maybe it works... not sure.  I use Neptune's Harvest as it seems to have more nutrients in the ranges the vegetables need it in.

In other news... working on the crane truck to add a winch on the boom so I can drop some decking down over some walls for the roof.... always something.  :)

rick91351

What variety of tomatoes? 

For what its worth - we sure found to much nitrogen with tomatoes make for huge plants and no fruit....  Looks like you are at a good level!

Where are you working?  Nosey ain't I?   :D     

glenn kangiser

Hey Rick... no problem.

Those are Early Girls... we have found them to produce best up here... also I  have half cherry tomatoes as they always do good.

I use the vegetable type fertilizer and fish emulsion which are both lower in nitrogen as well as the chips pulling it down a bit more.  Best year I have had. :)

I am currently building a corrosion hanger for the Air National Guard in Fresno...

Note to self... remember to take your guns out of the truck before going in for inspection.... they have machine guns...... at least I declared it and they gave me amnesty... no problems but had to take the truck off base.  I had my prospecting backpack in the truck and often I will come across illegal drug plantations when hiking.  I want to at least be able to return fire if they miss on the first shot.... [waiting]

rick91351

I got called one day for an extra job to take a couple locomotives to the Mountain Home AFB for an equipment movement.  They were allowing the Idaho National Guard to use the trackage on the Air Force Base to load and store equipment to ship overseas for deployment.  We - me and the conductor - and  our two locomotives arrived at the base and was met with a large group of security and dogs just before we could go on the base proper.  Someone climbed up on the locomotive and came into the cab told us the dogs were going to inspect our locomotives and we were to just stay in the cab of the locomotive until finished.  We were not to move the locomotives until they were finished.  We told him we were more than happy to sit right there and and eat our lunches before the dogs got them.....  He grinned.  They sent a couple guys up on the locomotive and opened and closed the doors on the car body.  Looked in the toilet compartment and open and closed the electrical cabinets.  They I would guess would not have a clue of what they were looking at unless it said bomb on the side of it.  We sat there and watched these two beautiful large / huge well trained german shepherds in the mirrors and out the cab windows.  They looked so cool on task - doing their jobs.  It was like WOO-WOO we got something new to look at and inspect.  Their eyes were so alert and attentive as they listened to their handlers.  Was not long before they were finished  but me being a dog person especially a working dog person.  I really came away with a great mental photo album of getting shook down by the dogs at the Air Force Base.                 

glenn kangiser

Wow, sounds like an exciting experience Rick. I also have the same feeling about the inspections, but they have the machine guns so I'll just let them do whatever they want :-)

Gary O

Quote from: glenn kangiser on July 08, 2014, 02:30:33 PM

I am flattered that he has now given me this wonderful honor of drawing a genuine California (formerly Oregon) Hillbilly. [ouch]

Well, crap......kinda ruins things for this;

......and I took so much time with it  too
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

glenn kangiser

Ummmm Gary... that is my oldest hat.... not so classy...

Note the great improvement in style...

Working in San Jose building 2 strip mall stores now... :)

glenn kangiser

Lots of driving in the last few days ... San Jose Monday and Tuesday, American Canyon this morning and Tehachapi tonight.... [waiting]

Back to Mariposa Friday night likely then San Jose again Monday at 4 a.m. 

Good to be working though. :)