Log Siding and trim?

Started by Beavers, September 04, 2009, 09:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beavers

No way I can afford a real log cabin.  ::)  I might be able to afford the log cabin look though, one of the local big box stores has log siding on a pretty good sale this week. 

My question is how do you attach window, door, and other trim to the curved log sections.  Do I then have to buy some expensive trim that fits the contours of the logs or what?  Do I scribe and then router out the trim so it sits tight against the siding? 

I don't mind a little extra work with the trim, I just don't want to get to that point down the road, and find out it's a major PITA to get everything water tight without using a ton of caulk.  d*

Anybody used this stuff...how did you like it?

Thanks,
Beavers

Don_P

I'm assuming this is the 1-1/2" thick siding with a lap joint or t&g? If so the trim is usually 2x material, rough sawn full 2x is even better. The trims and corner boards are installed first and the siding is butted to them, basically like typical lap siding just thicker. There is a caulk joint between siding and trim. I normally nail the sheathing well and use 1-5/8" course thread drywall screws alongside each stud from inside, 2 at each stud in a toenail type pattern aiming for the belly of the siding. That way few fasteners show and it seems to hold better, you can add extra screws where needed and at the butt joints. A story pole inside helps to locate the elevation. It's really not much different than profiled sidings like drop lap or dolly varden. If its the thicker kind there are a few more tricks that I can explain.

Beavers

Thanks Don!

It's the 2x8 kind of siding.  For some reason I had it stuck in my head that the trim had to be installed on top of the siding.  Butting the siding up to the trim makes a lot more sense.  d*