Our 20 x 34 1-1/2 story cabin in Michigan

Started by mogie01, July 30, 2010, 12:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mogie01

Quote from: Redoverfarm on June 30, 2011, 02:57:37 PM
Looking good. Nice job.  Now if I can get my railings to look half as nice I will be satisfied.

Thanks Redoverfarm. As for your railing, I have every confidence that it will look fantastic :)  You do good work!

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

mogie01

Thanks Sassy.  We haven't been able to get up to the cabin this past 3 weeks - we had friends over from Scotland and we took a much needed vacation but we plan on going up this weekend and try to get as much siding up as possible.  The weather has been really hot the past few days so we're hoping it breaks by the weekend.

mogie01

We worked on the siding this weekend.  It was so hot, and just our luck we had to work on the sides with no shade.  I think we should be able to get it finished this weekend.  After that we have to wash down the siding then apply the stain.

metolent

Turkeyhunter

log siding looks mighty fine!!!!!

do you have a close up shot of the back of one of the corner logs???  before install???, i have ben looking looking for that type log corner for my camp.

mogie01

Quote from: Turkeyhunter on July 25, 2011, 04:47:50 PM

do you have a close up shot of the back of one of the corner logs???  before install???, i have ben looking looking for that type log corner for my camp.

Thanks Turkeyhunter  ::)   I don't have a photo of it but I'm sure we have some scrap pieces left over so I'll take a picture of it for you this weekend when we go up.

mogie01

We almost have the siding done, only a small section at the front of the cabin to do.  Here's what we got done this weekend.

back of the cabin (east)

north side

south side

Turkeyhunter

mogie01

Quote from: Turkeyhunter on July 25, 2011, 04:47:50 PM

Thanks Turkeyhunter, I almost forgot to post the pics of the corner logs for you, hope this helps:-

Turkeyhunter

thanks for the pic...........the log place wants $185 each ==== ???( 3 hours drive) for those corners, and i had not saw a pic of one.   I appreacite the pic===thanks

mogie01

We finished up the siding this weekend.  We decided to add a row of cedar shingles to the top of the porch wall.  We also wired the water pump and now we have water, woohoooooo.  We washed down the siding and the porch with TSP and cleared up around the cabin, it was a very busy weekend.  If the weather cooperates, we will start the staining next weekend.  Some pics....

the cedar shakes

not a very clear picture, sorry

Sassy

mogie01

Weather didn't co-operate this weekend so we were unable to do the staining.  We took this opportunity to do a little more plumbing work and some much needed yard clean up (my job).

mogie01

We were finally able to start staining the logs.  We love how it turned out.  We used TWP stain, Pecan color.  It was a lot of work because you have to put a second coat on within 24 hours of the first coat.  We were able to do 3 walls and plan on finishing the last wall and the porch railings next weekend.

A picture of the gable end which shows the contrast between the stained logs and the untouched logs

The soffit

My husband staining the fascia, yeesh, no fear.

I had the much easier job of staining the front porch.

ellbaker

That looks great!  I really would like to do my cabin with log siding but hate the thought of re-staining every few years.

freezengirl

Your cabin looks fantastic!  :) I am going to show my hubby the pictures when he comes home so he can get an idea somewhat of what ours will look like if we ever manage to get started on it.

oifmarine

Pritch

Mogie,

I wanted to say that I really like your project, especially the "hand hewn" log siding and trim.  I think this is the way I'm going to go as well.  I looked back over your entire thread and didn't see a floorplan.  I'd love to see how you are putting your space to use. 
"The problem with quotes from the internet is that they're not always accurate." -- Abraham Lincoln

Sassy

Love how the stain brings out the grain in the wood  :)

mogie01

Thanks for all of the nice comments everyone!  :D  We're excited that we're almost done with the outside.  Next weekend we'll stain the porch floor then work on the inside for a while, we'll concentrate on finishing the plumbing and electrical.  We still have 2 sections of porch railing to install and stain and the front stairs to build and stain.  Here are some more pics.

the east side of the cabin

the porch railings are now done

redbird

Awesome house, the log siding looks amazing!  I'm more and more inspired by the 1 1/2 story.  Seems like you get a lot more space for not much more cost than the 1 story.  But that's a giant guess.  Anyway I assume that is why a lot of people choose this one.

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
― Woody Guthrie

mogie01

Thanks Redbird, we always wanted a log cabin so we're really pleased with the way the log siding turned out.  We went with the 1-1/2 story plan for exactly the reasons you mention.  It also gives you the choice to have a complete 2nd floor if you want, like Dave and Kim's, not just a loft area.

mogie01

Quote from: Pritch on September 04, 2011, 01:00:55 PM
Mogie,

I wanted to say that I really like your project, especially the "hand hewn" log siding and trim.  I think this is the way I'm going to go as well.  I looked back over your entire thread and didn't see a floorplan.  I'd love to see how you are putting your space to use. 

Pritch, here is our layout.  We aren't exactly set on what kind of stairs to have, torn between spiral or steep winder.

mogie01

This weekend I worked on staining the porch floor and thinning out some of the surrounding jungle while the hubby worked inside.  He was able to get all of the DWV done, that leaves a couple of electrical things to do and then we can arrange for the inspection :)