LP® SmartSide® Panel siding

Started by Billisnice, October 27, 2009, 02:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Never used it myself. We used hardie cement fiber as we liked it's fire rating.

A few years ago, early 2000's (?), LP and several other manufacturers had problems with their products. There were class action suits. Whatever the problems were it all seems to be sorted out now. One of the things that is necessary with any of these, including hardie, is to follow the manufacturers instructions in all respects. Then the warranty covers you.

Here's a old thread that includes the topic
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=5277.0

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

n74tg

I checked out LP Smartside when I was choosing my siding. If memory serves this product was a compressed cardboard type material similar to hardboard or masonite.  As it was literally the same cost as Hardie, for me there was no comparison.  My Hardie plank has gone on beautifully, paints even better and you can't beat it for fireproof/termite proof operation.

My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

MountainDon

As a happy Hardie customer, I'd like to add that some info I've read on the LP website is incorrect when they offer a comparison. It is not necessary to drill holes or the nails as LP states: at least not on the Hardie plank material. I have hand hammered and air nailed without using piolt holes. No problems either.

Hardie comes primed like the LP product: neither can be stained, only painted.

The Hardie is heavy, but I had no problem handling the 12 ft long x 12 inch wide planks. I've also used the 4x8 ft. Hardie Panels. Those I did find awkward to handle. With the panels I did have a little trouble in a few spots. It is necessary to have the wall studs right on for spacing and to avoid studs with any curve. The panels can not be nailed any closer to the edge than 3/8 of an inch. That doesn't provide much nailing room if the studs are crooked or mis-centered. To do a good job on any 4x8 sheet panel it appears to me that batter boards should be used over each vertical panel joint. Hardie has them available, but I don't know about LP.

If you use either product in lap plank form SoloSiders are an invaluable help if you are working alone. They allowed me to side my cabin all by myself.

http://www.amazon.com/SoloSider-Siding-Cement-Smartside-Adjustable/dp/B000HVEVX4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

And yes cement fiber requires special cutting blades or tools. You should wear a good dust mask.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

RainDog

Hardiepanel can be installed without sheathing? I'm having trouble finding that on their website.

Of course, I just had trouble pulling on a pair of pants too. Need coffee in the morning before anything.

EDIT: "HardiePanel® vertical siding can be installed over braced wood or steel studs spaced a maximum of 24" o.c."

Okay, just a little slow in the AM.
NE OK

Minicup28

My shed is built with that product or one similar to that brand. It's 18 months now with no problems. I was afraid of critters chewing on it like they do T1-11 but They seem to pass right by. They did find the one piece of bracing lumber on the underside of the picnic table that was not PT, so they are eating in the area. This was the quickest/cheapest way to get some shelter while we decide what to do for a more permanent structure.
You win some
You lose some
Some you don't even get to start...

MountainDon

Quote from: Minicup28 on October 28, 2009, 11:35:28 AM
My shed is built with that product or one similar to that brand. It's 18 months now with no problems.

Properly installed none of today's siding products should have any problems. It's been years since the old problems became apparent.

rdzone

Well we sided our whole 2 story universal with the LP smartside panels.  Not bad to work with.  We didn't use it as the structural sheathing, so we have a layer of 7/16 OSB, housewrap then the 7/16 smartside, which makes for a plenty strong structure.  We did paint all the ends and any cuts we made, so hopefully there won't be any problems.   I would have loved to side the place in cedar, but that would have been big $$.
Chuck