tile underlayment

Started by metolent, September 14, 2011, 07:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metolent

I've bought the tile to be used in the bathrooms.  Now I need to decide on the underlayment to use.  ??? I'm leaning towards Ditra, but wanted to see what everyone else has used ... and perhaps more importantly, why did you choose what you used?

Redoverfarm

I used Ditra in my cabin for the Kitchen, Bathroom floors and countertops.  It is a little pricey but you can check around for some discounted prices.  Far superior IMO compared to Hardee board.  Besides if you use the tape it is basicly waterproof. Easy installation. NO Nails or screws.

texasgun

I used hardiboard in my current house and have had no problems and I am on pier and beam its cheap and performs as intended I did sister my joists to make the floor in the bathroom extra rigid but I tend to overbuild d*
WEST TEXAS

MountainDon

Hardie Backerboard. We tiled the entire cabin so covered the entire floor with Hardie first. Lots of screws.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I have used cement board with no problem.  Don't remember the brand but it was about 3'x5'x 1/2" sheets as I recall.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.