full time in little house since 2003

Started by jan nikolajsen, October 14, 2007, 11:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jan nikolajsen

hi all,

it has been a while now since we built our little cabin, inspired by john raabe's little house plans.

we moved in about this time 4 years ago, and things are working out really well for us. there's little indication that we would ever need anything bigger, more mainstream or fancier. amazingly we're not retired, but a working family with a child in 3rd grade.

we're still off the grid, using a sawdust/compost bin toilet, grey water 'system', no running hot water, only wood heat.
BUT, we do have high speed internet, a great kitchen, utter comfort in sub zero temps, and a 700 sq ft work shop full of tools and projects. among other things.

i got some information together on this site:

http://coyotecottage.com/

excuse the unfinished pages...please don't hesitate to email me with comments or questions.

jan

glenn kangiser

Thanks for the update, Jan.  I remember looking over your website before - maybe from a previous forum.  Anyway - welcome to this forum and feel free to post and discuss your project as you wish here.  Thanks for the link and your views of the perfect house on your site. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Thanks for the posting. I enjoyed having a look over your webpages. Like your unique refrigerator installation technique. And the Enzo Ferrari!  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John Raabe

Jan:

Very good to hear from you again and see the updated website photos. I'm still in love with your place (both the cabin(s) and the landscape).

None of us are as smart as all of us.

peter nap

That was some great reading Jan !!!!
Thanks

desdawg

I think you have truely mastered Efficiency 101. Seems there may be a fine line between efficiency and claustrophobia. Being a Boomer myself I am constantly torn between the two worlds. I guess I have too many entrepenurial tendencies to throw it all over. But it is nice to see someone who has that strength of conviction. All the best in that very nice setting.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

Ailsa C. Ek

Wow, that's really inspirational.  I doubt I could ever convince my straight-arrow husband to try flying under the radar, though.   ::)

williet

That's a really nice site. Thanks for sharing it.

tj4orange

I really enjoyed your site.  i had previously seen it and remembered so much going back thought it today.  Very insperational!!!!  I was courious about a few pic on the page of exterior shots.  Look as though you little shed (not sure what it really was) to the left of you home is gone in the pics at the bottom of the page and now a second home or two is there.  What is the scoop on that if I may ask.  Just random couriousity on my part!  Thanks!  Please keep us informed !

jan nikolajsen

the building in background on one of the pics is my shop.