solar sun tubes diy

Started by kimmer, March 20, 2006, 09:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kimmer

this may be the wrong place but does anyone out there know how to make your own solar sun tubes for lighting?
or can you send me to a sit that will help? thank you all

glenn-k

I don't know about making your own but my cousin uses the premade ones and said that the straight ones worked best with a polished inside surface as they brought in a lot more light.  

Seems we had some skylight info John posted.

considerations

Just for fun, I researched solar tubes.  I seem to remember that they advertise 98% + reflectivity for the surface inside their tubes.  So, just for fun, I researched the reflectivity of the shiny side of aluminum foil....98%.  Haven't actually done anything with the information, but I did find it interesting. 

Redoverfarm

kimmer If you had a waterproof roof kit you could run a chase and then use cheap 1/16" mirror plates to line the chase with.

John Raabe

Yes, a sun tube is nothing more (or less) that a skylight with reflective walls that carry light down a shaft. At the interior there is usually a diffuser fixture that looks like a ceiling light fixture. The round commercial ones are easy to install but seem overpriced for what they actually are.
None of us are as smart as all of us.