IKEA

Started by Robert_Flowers, May 02, 2006, 04:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert_Flowers

Cindy and i went monday to the IKEA store in atlanta it was COOL lots of good kitchen layouts way too many ideas.

The thing i liked best is they have displays called Living In its set up like an apartments or a  house they are 200,300,576, and 600 square feet each it has living room, kitchen, bedroom and bath set up with everything you need even towels and soap.
Its a great way to help someone who does not have the vision to look at a plan an see a house.

Cindy really shocked me when she said that the 576sq.ft. display was a nice size :o this is a women who thinks our 8x12 closet is toooooo small.

We did find a bed we liked but can't get it in king so i was on the floor with a paper yard stick taking measurements and drawing a plan on the back of the store map.  The legs are square then go round to a taper  no lathe so lets see i could put the legs in the shaving horse and  make them a tapered octagon? but that would call for a new spokeshave oh my a new tool !

Well if it keep baby happy i guess i will make the sacrifice and get the new tool D**m

Robert

P.S.
Has anybody noticed that the 200 sq.ft. house contest now has 40011 hit :o

ki4hpz

I live 17 mile North of IKEA. I get lost in the store.  One thing I would caution folks about is the furniture. Lots of it is junk.  I got some and it crumbled.  Some things are good for the prices too...

Amanda_931

Truly stupid question--been bothering me for a while.

How do you pronounce IKEA?

Eye + Key + uh

Ee +Kay + uh

Or something that I've never heard?

(if it's thought of as an acronym, I'd expect the I to be pronounced like the letter I.  If it's attained word status, then maybe how it would be pronounced in most European languages, i.e., the second choice.  I think I've heard both.)

(you could always use a rasp!)

Billy Bob

You asked for it. you got it, Amanda! [smiley=smiley.gif]

The first example is the correct pronunciation, and it is in fact an acronym of the founder's initials and those of his birthplace.
http://www.word-detective.com/102603.html
is a link to the pertinent info, which happens to be one of my favourite sites, by the by.
Bill

Amanda_931

Thank you very much.

:)

jwv

NOt a hijack but thanks for that Word Detective link-another place to spend time, just what I needed.  I have got to lose this job.

Judy
(Sometimes when I type fast my name becomes Swedish--Juyd)
http://strawbaleredux.blogspot.com/

"One must have chaos in one's self to give birth to the dancing star" ~Neitszche