Limits on shed roof pitch

Started by fritz, April 29, 2006, 08:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fritz

Hey all, I'm still playing on paper with roof designs.   I have a question about shed roofs.

On a 12 x 24 based on the little house plans, would it be possible to have a shed roof pitch of 8:12 or 6:12?  This would make the side walls 8" on the low side and 14' or 16" on the high side.

if you remember my previous design:

http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1134788948/32#32

Now I'm exploring a shed roofs on each end facing opposide directions with a gable roof of the same pitch over the dog trot.

TIA all.

glenn-k

I don't see any reason you couldn't.  May be a bit odd where it joins the dog trot.  The back corners wouldn't be very useable unless you extended the short wall a bit.

You may want to draw it all up and draw cross sections cuts with dimensions to see if you like it.

fritz

Agreed on "odd" but my inital sketches are interesting or maybe just curious  :) .  I'll see if I can post a concept sketch.

jraabe

No reason at all that the Little House plans can't be modified with a steep shed roof.

It just so happens I was playing with this sketch a few days ago.
[/tr][/table]

fritz

here's my attempt on my dog trot design with opposing shed roofs

Forgive my 3d skills --- in the front view, the cabin floats about 8 feet off the ground  :o  Not my intention.....  This is based on the 12' little house and a 12:8 pitch

(((Modified to update image location)))

peg_688

skills --- in the front view, the cabin floats about 8 feet off the ground  :o .....  This is based on the 12' little house and a 12:8 pitch

[size=12]  Oh ya sure Fritz we can make er hover ;) No problem mo  :o Given enought money ;)

So what do you do with all that ceiling space ??   A walk way?

I like the dbl. gables better for looks and function , of course if it's got to hover  who cares about a little lost heat ;)

Just kigging of course  ;)  Well not about the look and function part ;)

PEG

[/size]

fritz

If it can't hover, maybe I can prop it up with  2 or 3 2'x's and call it good.  ;)

As for the extra roof -- I was thinking sleeping loft  on an end -- provides a *touch* more headroom than the 12' wide 12:12 pitch.  

I did it kind of as a "what if" joke -- and then when I saw it, I kind of liked it.  (I know, to each their own.)

I also like how it opens up the small space -- the higher windows let in western sun into the smaller sleeping cabin and eastern into the larger cooking / gathering space.

In design, there is such a fine line between "eclectic" and "bizarre."

glenn-k

Cool way to separate the sleeping beauties from the party animals. :)

peg_688

[size=12]   Fritz another thing I don't like about it and this is JMO is it's to tall for it's width.

The place we're doing with the let in ledger is the same way , most folks that stop by say it looks like a trailer on stiltes  ::) And it is shakie the roofer could feel it move when the plumbers where working below. Sort of a sway feeling , so course when normal people are in the house there won't be as much banging / drilling sort of stuff going on but it a wind storm at night in the loft I expect there will be some feeling of movement.  Not enought lateral walls , combined with the lenght of the studs .

I'm not saying it's going to fall down here that won't happen , but it will move a bit .

Your place if you build it won't have the main floor joist 8' up like that one which also is part of the moving / swaying .   They should have used 2 x12 floor joists ,instead of 9 7/8 BCI's IMO that would result in a stiffer floor.

Anyway like I have said I don't designum I just buildum. And it meets or exceeds all required Codes  ;)Eh manhatten ;)

PEG  

[/size]