Hip wall height for loft?

Started by RayN, February 01, 2005, 07:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayN

If a standard bed (not with the super plush pillow top mattresses) is put along the roofline in a loft,  what size hipwall would be needed for the average person not to smack their head on the rafter in the morning?

I know I can calculate this by just sitting up in bed and having someone else measure,  and hope I can conpensate correctly for flooring, subfloor, and the like.  I just thought somebody might have a good rule of thumb on headroom requirement.

John Raabe

5' height is the normal maximum that is considered usable for habitable space. Thus area below this is not usually counted in floor area calculations and is considered as storage.

Whether or not someone hits their head on this depends on a lot of factors. Kids will have lots of space and basketball stars will soon move out.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

ak_homesteader

Ours is 4 ft. and I whack mine almost every morning!

Alaska HOMESTEADING Journal
Ya got two kinds of people them thats going somewhere and them thats going nowhere.

Dan

I think the length of the bed's legs would have some to do with it.  Nothing a little sawzall can't fix.   ;D

June

I used to own a little "shotgun" story and a half, hundred year old, balloon construction house with very short kneewalls upstairs.  The stair opening wouldn't let me take box springs up, so I got an inexpensive  platform bed such as you'd use for a futon and laid my foam mattress on it.  That solved both problems--low ceiling, and lack of box springs.  I'll never go back to a conventional bed.