Mattress or cushion material ideas needed for fold down dinette table/bed

Started by nasmeyer, September 14, 2010, 12:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nasmeyer

I need to build a dinette table that folds down into a bed for my small (144 sq foot) cabin, kind of like you would find in a pop-up camper. My problem is finding cushions or foam material that doesn't cost a fortune, seems it is quite expensive. Does anyone have plans for something similar, and does anyone know where I can get reasonably priced material?

I will go 60 inches wide instead of the 48 shown in the drawing below, and have considered somehow using 2 small futon mattresses if their dimensions would fit my frame. I also will not have a wall to the right of the dinette as shown in the drawing, but will have one to the left and back.

Proud_Poppa

I've got a great idea for that but I don't know where you find them. Many years ago we lived in a 736 sq ft log cabin with 2 small bedrooms. My Parent in-laws bought us some sleeping pads to use for company....but I don't know where they got them! It wasn't a thin foam pad...it was like a 4 foot by six foot pad that was about 5 inches thick. It seemed like some kinda down type padding in it. You could roll it up and fit under one of the seats in your drawing if you hinged the seats for storage. You could store the pad under one seat, and a pillow and cover under the other seat. You might also think about an old gym pad cut to size.
Near McCormick's Creek State Park, Owen County Indiana

MountainDon

After years of using many different materials for different camping applications I believe there is no such thing as a good cheap foam. The best we ever had was some very dense closed cell foam, with a two or three inch temperpedic mattress topper. The dense underlayer was too hard on it's own. The temperpedic moderates it nicely.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

bayview

The cushions in our travel trailer wore out quite quickly.   Foam became "flat".   Fortunately the outside material was still in good shape. . .    We replaced with 3 inch "high density foam" we got from the nearby fabric store.   Easily cut with an electric knife. - The kind you would use on Thanksgiving for a turkey . . .

The foam alone cost about $150.00 . . .    With material and 4 zippers, I would imagine it would cost about $200.

Batt-Mart has some instructions that may be of help. . .

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

rick91351

Check around some times there are places that deal in use camper furnishings.  However there is no real low cost solution to the problem as Don says.  However there is one thing I do know; do not cut back on creature comforts.   If it is uncomfortable, and you can not bed down and get a good nights sleep, it sure cuts into the enjoyment of having a camper, cabin or even a home.    
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

builderboy

I've done some upholstery in my lifetime. Foam, like many things in life can be cheap or expensive. Not surprisingly, the cheap foam is just that.

Proud_Poppa

Would something like this work:  http://www.absolutecomfortonsale.com/fold-away-bed.htm

Or this: http://www.foldingbed.net/ecom-catshow/foldingfoarmmattress.html

Is this a temporary bed for when you have company or is this your primary bed? If it's your primary bed I would add my voice to another on this thread to buy something that will be comfortable in the long run. Whatever you go with, I think the bed concept you drew is a great idea! Let us know what you finally settle on and how it works out for you...this may be an idea others want to try.

Edited to fix the second URL.
Near McCormick's Creek State Park, Owen County Indiana

bayview

nasmeyer, your dinette will be mulit-purpose.   We use ours all the time.  Dining, computer use, sleeping, etc . . .    Plenty of storage too!  

Ours is hinged under the seat cushion for access . . .

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

considerations

Joann's is a nationwide fabric store that carries up to 5" foam....they just had a sale on foam, but I wasn't shopping for any so didn't look.

Costco sells foam mattresses......saw a queen size pad for about $150, apparently sometimes they are on sale as well, but I wasn't in the market and so didn't investigate the details.

HomeschoolMom

I think it was a show called "Design on a Dime" where I saw the designers use denim insulation for padding...something to think about...
Michelle
Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys
Married to Jason, Self Employed

Wanting an earth bermed hybrid timberframe...just need some inheritance  ;)  Will never have another mortgage again!

Solar Burrito

Quote from: nasmeyer on September 14, 2010, 12:19:45 PM

Looks like you took my plans that I made in Google Sketchup, maybe you can get some from a camper being parted out. But you might as well buy some foam since its going to be a custom job anyway.

Is Foam really that expensive?
Small Shelters, Off Grid Living, and Other Neat Stuff http://solarburrito.com

nasmeyer

Yes SB it is your drawing, it was the only one I could find that was close to what I am doing, Thanks! And yes foam isn't cheap! I might just buy 2 futon mattresses and build my table/bed unit to fit the mattresses, they appear to be cheaper and already covered.