Author Topic: Home Accessories - handmade -  built-ins etc.  (Read 210325 times)

Offline Redoverfarm

• Journeyman
  • Applachian Mtns, West Virginia
Re: Home Accessories - handmade -  built-ins etc.
« Reply #600 on: October 07, 2013, 05:55:55 PM »
 [cool]

Offline jaransont3

• Cattails Cabin
    • CarArt by John
« Reply #601 on: November 29, 2013, 07:03:37 PM »
THought I would post up some in-progress shots of my latest cabin project.  We decided that we wanted a couple of ottomans to go with teh recently acquired futon.  Figured it would be really nice to be able to put our feet up and relax in front of the fire.

Since the space is so small we also wanted the ottomans to have storage inside and have padded tops so they could be used as separate seating if necessary.

We couldn't find anything in the stores that met all of our needs so I designed some up and have been working on them last week or so.  Hope to have them finished up before our Christmas trip to the cabin.

Started by building a simple plywood box...

Then I added the legs and some other details to match the style of the futon frame.  You can see the plywood box and some other parts in the background of this shot..

Here is a closer shot of the details...

I still have to do a bunch of sanding on the first one, assembly the second one, stain and polyurethane both of them and cut and upholster the foam removable  cushions.  We found some really neat burlap-like material with leaves printed on it for the covers.  Will post more as I make progress.

Been a fun project so far.
John Jaranson
Home: Dearborn, MI  Cabin: Iron Range, MN

Offline rick91351

• Journeyman
  • 5000' in Idaho
« Reply #602 on: November 30, 2013, 04:03:43 AM »
Nice looking and well made.  That is the part of my project that I am looking forward to the most.  The touches that make it mine / ours.  I think you will find the ottomans to be a great functional pieces. 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Offline jaransont3

• Cattails Cabin
    • CarArt by John
« Reply #603 on: December 07, 2013, 09:28:45 PM »
I got the other ottoman glued up, both of them sanded, and then Jill and I got them stained.  Tomorrow I will give them a couple of coats of polyurethane and then I will only have the upholstered cushions to make.  Looks like they will be ready for the trip to the cabin for Christmas.

John Jaranson

Offline rick91351

• Journeyman
  • 5000' in Idaho
« Reply #604 on: December 08, 2013, 12:17:31 AM »
 [cool] Lookin' good.!!!
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Offline jaransont3

• Cattails Cabin
    • CarArt by John
« Reply #605 on: December 11, 2013, 08:27:24 PM »
Jill and I finished the ottomans tonight.  We are very happy with the way they turned out.

The cushions are removable to access the storage inside.

...and can be flipped over for a work surface/table.

FInally a close-up to show some of the details.

We can't wait to get them to the cabin over the Christmas break.
John Jaranson

Offline rick91351

• Journeyman
  • 5000' in Idaho
« Reply #606 on: December 12, 2013, 01:45:39 AM »
They turned out very nice!! [cool]

Offline Redoverfarm

• Journeyman
  • Applachian Mtns, West Virginia
« Reply #607 on: December 12, 2013, 02:25:54 AM »
 [cool]