Looks like a dry year....

Started by NM_Shooter, February 13, 2009, 11:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

One of the co-owners took his sleds in last weekend to check on the property. 

I'm surprised we can see his cabin.  But we still have the March snows coming....

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Ernest T. Bass

We've had nearly 250 inches here in the U.P. already.

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Ernest T. Bass

We've got these big snorkels that go up to daylight. At least, I think there's daylight up there...

r8ingbull

This morning's 3"+ snowfall put us in lower Michigan over 12' for the year.  I think they said 147 inches....

Whitlock

14 plus inches this morning here in sunny California heh
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

NM_Shooter

We'll probably have 10 to 15 feet of snow on the ground in most spots before the end of the season.  Last year was a very wet year, and we had road impassable from snow until mid June.  This year is a bit dryer so far.

Here's some more winter pix from the group on sleds that went in.  This is my closest "neighbor" he is about 1/4 mile away and in lee side of the prevailing winds, and on the north side of a bowl.  The snow pretty much dumps and sticks.  The top of this "cabin" ;D is about 8'

We are building on the windy side of a ridge.  This is another neighbor of mine who is west of me on the same ridge.  They told me that the snow blows off of this ridge.  He and I also share a south facing exposure on the other side of the bowl that makes up our mini-caldera looking area.

That's Bob.  Doesn't he look like a Bob?   :D  Very friendly person and a good neighbor.  Everybody up there so far have been terrific folks to be co-owners with.  There's not a cabin up there that has not been offered to my family for use.

One more pix.  This is a picture of a cabin that was built up there this year.  It was built from some plans somewhere on the CP site.. I think it was called something like a "panel cabin".  The owner wanted something different from a classical cabin.  They want the sides to rust and blend into the forest.

lipadier

Love the construction set look of that panel cabin in the last picture. Any more photos/infos about it?

NM_Shooter

Quote from: lipadier on February 14, 2009, 02:24:55 PM
Love the construction set look of that panel cabin in the last picture. Any more photos/infos about it?

Bolt together house plans and data here:  http://www.countryplans.com/bolt-house.html

My friend who built this found some dimensional errors in the plans.

More pictures here:  http://www.blokranch.com/photo_gallery_4.htm

-f-

lipadier

NM_Shooter, thanks a lot. This bolt together hose has some rough charm and I just fell a little bit in love with it. Damn. ;D

diyfrank

[/quote]

More pictures here:  http://www.blokranch.com/photo_gallery_4.htm

-f-
[/quote]

Looks like you found Paradise.
Home is where you make it

NM_Shooter

Quote from: diyfrank on February 15, 2009, 09:36:33 AM

Looks like you found Paradise.

For me it definitely is... downside is that I can't access it 5 to 6 during the year (I need snow mobiles!!!).  It is way back in the sticks.  here's another thread : http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=5526.0

I think I have a sale pending.  I have someone who has been telling me for a couple of months they want to buy in; I am scrambling to get paperwork together. 

soomb

I have been looking for pictures of the bolt-together house for over a year and here they are... who needs Google when you have CP!
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

NM_Shooter

My buddy modified the plans a little bit.  He didn't want the sliding door on the front of the cabin, so he put another cantilever section on the front. 

It has turned out really nice.  He also has an outhouse that he wrapped in aluminum flashing.  Looks like an airstream.  I've nicknamed it the Khrome Krapper. 

Note that the glass window on the front has been busted in.  He's had problems with bears tearing the shutters off of his outhouse and breaking the window in.  We had lunch the other day, and he asked me... "do you know why bears crap in the woods?  Because they can't work the latch on the outhouse door!".

-f-

soomb

He seems fond of metal and likes a bit of the modern look.. I love it.  If there is ever an opportunity to get more photos, please do.  If the co-owner would ever consider documenting the process on here (assuming there are "in-progress" photos), that would be great.

NM_Shooter

I think I have some photos of it going up... I'll check.

-f-

soomb

thanks!  I look forward to seeing them.  The Bolt-house is also being commented on in the Owner builder forum

soomb

MountainDon

Frank's "away" for Lent.

On the subject of a dry year... We had the driest January and February since 1892 when weather records were started here in NM. We started the winter in good form, up in the Jemez where our cabin is we had 130% of a normal winters snow by the end of December. However, we are now sitting at only 70% as of yesterday.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

Here's a couple of more pix of that cabin, shortly after they finished it:

We've been getting more snow on the property.  I had hopes of getting on in mid May to build my main beams, but I think it won't happen. Too many of the roads are right next to very steep drops.  Unless we get a bunch of warm weather for a few weeks I am hosed till late May / Early June  :(

Consider that second picture and compare it to the snow depth from an earlier one.  Even so, we are a bit behind in snowpack this year.

soomb

Thanks for the photos.  Have you ever seen the interior of the cabin? 

NM_Shooter

Yes... I have no pictures though.  they floored it with a stick on pergo looking stuff.  they also built another cantilevered section on the front, rather than put on the sliding doors. 

The floor is surprisingly stiff, with no detectable deflection on the "wings".  Body heat and a small propane stove get it very warm in a hurry, even with all the windows...

Ernest T. Bass

Welcome back. ;) Happy Easter everybody!