two questions.

Started by Jared, January 18, 2007, 02:22:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared

What's the name of that special kind of ruler that'll let me draw things at a certain scale? I'm wanting to doodle the wall framing of a 20x30 on a piece of paper, but I want it to be accurate. And I forgot what the other question was. It's 1 am and the baby threw up all over my bed, so now I have to sleep on the floor because the sheets are washing and the mattress smells. I wish I could remember that other question.
Jared

glenn-k

I don't do baby throw up well.  :-/  or diapers. :(

That special kind of a ruler that draws things to scale is called a "scale", Jared.  

Scale

Jared

A scale.....who'da thunk it? Anyway, I'm up I'm awake and I've had my PB&J so I remember my second question. When using I-Joists for a second floor, how would a person balloon frame that top wall? Would the 2x4 just be nailed to the flanges of the I-Joist? I'm asking because I saw them at the lumber yard and they have spaces in them for ducts, and it'd be easy to run ductwork through those and they can span quite a ways without having a wall beneath them. But, John recommends balloon framing a second floor and I just can't see how it'd be done with those.
Jared

John_M

Do set up your framing, you can just get some graph paper (there is a good link under the FREE STUFF section of this forum for graph paper) and set up a scale on your graph and you can draw your framing there.

That is what I did.  Make sure you use a pencil!!!!  I am speaking from experience here! :)

Actually here it is:

http://www.incompetech.com/beta/plainGraphPaper/

Jared

I could do that, but then I'd get confused. Let's say I leave it at 1/4" = 1 foot. How would I draw a 2x4 that's only 1.5" wide? Maybe I should just ask how you did yours. I get confused easily, so maybe you've got a better idea than me.
Jared

Amanda_931

NELSELGNE wrote:

QuoteUse baking soda to remove vomit smell and many other odors.

good to know good to know.

John_M

Jared....

What I did was set a scale at say 1 square = 4 inches.  Then you would draw a line every 4 squares for a stud at 16" on center.  You would then be pretty close to what you would need.  The thickness of the line does not really help, nor do I think is neccessary.  As long as you know where the studs go relative to each other and how many you need, that is a good start.

If you have access to a printer to print at 11 x 14, it makes it much easier.

Reading a good book on framing helps as well.  I recommend Wagner's book.  I think it is on John's reading list.

Jared

John....what I'm understanding is that you simply drew a line to represent the stud? Instead of trying to draw a little bitty 2x4? That makes more sense than my way.

NELSELGNE...thanks for the tip. I slept on the living room floor last night. It actually made my back feel better.
Jared

glenn-k

Engineers and steel detailers represent gigantic beams with lines that are labeled and numbered.

youngins

Wife had to put her two cents in...

It also appears to wash out with bleach (color safe if necessary). Either way, let it run a minute to fill the tub and agitate. Then, shut off and let it soak for 15-20 minutes then run as normal.

Wendy and I have terminal OCD. To sketch the framing diagram for our "Youngin's Playhouse" (based on John's Little House plans), we got 17" by 22", 4 x 4 squares per inch from Office Depot. This allowed us to draw the timber exactly as it would be laid out.

Okie_Bob

Actually, I think what you want is more accurately called an 'architects scale'. They are triangular in shape so you have three sides and each side has a two different scales and each scale give two different sizes depending on which direction you work from.
I'm sitting here looking at one of mine, it is made of plastic and cost something like $5 back when I bought it, years ago.
Okie Bob

Daddymem

Yeah, it is an architect's scale as opposed to a nice sensible engineer's scale.  :P

glenn-k

Sorry, Daddymem, but I just never could make any sense out of an engineers scale.  I'm probably forever stuck on feet and inches. :-/

desdawg

I use both. They each have a purpose. When I draw site plans (which is all of the time) I use an engineers scale. That is what the Health Department requires for septic applications. When drawing architectural things use an architects scale. When in Rome and all that. There is absolutely no purpose in trying to convert 3-1/2" into tenths of a foot then try to convert it back when you have your tape measure in your hand.

Amanda_931

I don't remember how big it was (should have been at least 50 feet) but the guy who did my bulldozer work was right proud of his dual scale-fractions and tenths steel measuring tape.

desdawg

Ya Amanda but I am just a country boy. Can't handle that sfisticated stuff.

Jared

QuoteI don't remember how big it was (should have been at least 50 feet) but the guy who did my bulldozer work was right proud of his dual scale-fractions and tenths steel measuring tape.

We had to use a tape like that on the pipeline in Alabama. I guess it was easier to find center on pipe with tenths than fractions.
Jared

MountainDon

QuoteSorry, Daddymem, but I just never could make any sense out of an engineers scale.  I'm probably forever stuck on feet and inches. :-/

Just to add to the confusion, how about a metric architect's scale? No feet at all. Actually no finite measurements of any sort; they're set up in ratios. EG:   metric plot plans at 1:100, apprx 1/8" = 1'-0" or metric floor plans at 1:50, apprx 1/4" = 1'-0"   Construction details may be drawn to metric scales of 1:20, 1:10, or 1:5 and all dimensions on drawings are in millimeters so there's no need to state mm.  

I left Canada about in the middle of when they were converting to metric from imperial measurements. Not just the distance measurements, everything, volume, weights, ... (torque in newton-meters instead of ft-lbs.)   Jeez.  It would give your mind a workout. The discontinued Canadian Imperial gallon of gas was equal to 4.5 liters whereas the US Gallon is 3.8 liters. Got more MPG before I drove my truck accross the border  :-/  

Everything is supposed to be quoted in metric systen only now, however I noticed a funny thing last year when I went up there to build a multi level pool deck for my sister. At the lumberyard your still but 2x4's, 2x6's etc and their length is in feet.  :-?  and same for all the other stuff you'd find a building supply here in the usa. But if you buy food, gas, water,  all that's in metric. I imaginr that's because of the large amount of trade in the construction industry between Canada and the USA.

glenn-k

Well, Don, it's like this.  The metric system is for people who aren't smart enough to understand feet and inches. :)

All right, guys -- put down the rocks. :-/

MountainDon

QuoteWell, Don, it's like this.  The metric system is for people who aren't smart enough to understand feet and inches. :)

;D ;D ;D

desdawg

Multiple systems are good. It creates more redundant job opportunities. Saves a lt of people from having to go out and get real jobs.

Amanda_931

When you look at old-time math books (pre-WWI--I'd think) there are lots more types of measurements in use, and the students were supposed to learn to convert them. Some are still in use, but conversions are usually put in parentheses somewhere.

Furlongs, leagues, stone, fathom, gill, various barrel sizes, some old medicinal measurements, the (older) British monetary system.

jonseyhay

QuoteThe metric system is for people who aren't smart enough to understand feet and inches.  :)
Duh! And here's me thinking they changed so I wouldn't have to buy new batteries for my pocket calculator  ;)

MountainDon

Furlongs, leagues, stone, fathom, gill, various barrel sizes, some old medicinal measurements, the (older) British monetary system.
Do surveyors still use chains and rods?   :-? For some crazy reason the firkin sticks in my memory (= 9 imperial gallons of beer or ale in merry olde england. There was also a hogshead, a little bigger than a firkin IIRC, sorta a "economy" size.  :) Of course we have the nautical mile and knots in aviation and marine use.  How about a ton and a tonne? Dang Jonsey's gonna run out of fingers.   :-/