Sources for supplies

Started by MikeT, January 09, 2007, 10:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

I realize much of what I need for my building project I can get at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.  But I was wondering what other sources you might recommend for things like nails, screws, brackets and other hold down devices and any other smallish type item needed for building.  

Are there any mail order places?  Specialized stores?

Thanks for any ideas.

Mike

glenn-k

Amazon has some of this stuff.

This should be a directory link.  I got nails for  my Parta Nails flooring nailer there.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/site-directory/ref=topnav_dir_hi/104-5902293-6563942

MikeT

Thanks, Glenn.  On a related question, are nails nails? Or are there brands that are superior?  Does HD sell a superior, standard, or substandard nail, for example?

I am trying to figure out how much energy to put into this part of the project.

glenn-k

A lot of the nails there there is not much choice - a certain size comes one way.

One thing PEG has mentioned and I agree is that the Senco nails are superior.  I use the Senco 3" 10d galvanized ringshank nails for my siding and much of my general purpose nailing.  They won't stain natural wood if they get wet.  They hold about 9 times harder than regular straight nails.  They are rather expensive but worth it.  Their Senco stuff is usually with the air tools.

Other than that , I also use plain screw nails for places where I don't need galvanized.  They hold sililar to ringshank.  I try not to ever use plain straight nails for my air nailer- why ever waste about 8 parts of my holding strength.

General purpose I use what is available.

MountainDon

QuoteOn a related question, are nails nails?

I agree with Glenn and PEG. In my opinion Senco makes a superior product. Now I'll admit I've not had a lot of experience with many other makes, but I have has Senco nailers and staplers since the late 1980's. I have used Senco nails nearly exclusively. The only problems have been with non-Senco nails. As for the hammer-it-in-your-arm nails,  I use the spiral/screw nails or the ringshank, partly because my Dad did and the garage that he built in the fourties and I had to tear down, was a bi*$# because the nails didn't want to come out.

glenn-k

I have shot the Senco ringshanks through a 2x4 into 1931 bridge timbers then removed the 2x4.  I got it off but pulled the heads through the 2x4 - about 5 nails and they all stayed in the bridge timber.