Compucarve

Started by glenn-k, January 09, 2007, 12:18:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

Now PEG can just put a drawing in his computer -- touch a few buttons and out comes another piece of fine quality woodwork -- carved in 3D.

Sears --of all places.

Craftsman CompuCarve Compact Woodworking Machine, Computer-Controlled

Amanda_931

Apparently there's some trial software on-line that you can play with.  (although one reviewer said it did bigger images than the machine itself can produce)

I want somebody whose shop I can invade to get one.

Daddymem

Pair it up in your workshop with this.  Seriously thought, nice concept, a home CNC router.  Wonder if it can actually produce all those fancy carvings just as shown on the commercial...

glenn-k

Looks like new toys on the horizon.  Fun :)

Jimmy_Cason

I told my wife I wanted one of these.
I used a cnc router at my previous job for 12 or 13 years.
I miss the ability to do what we called at work, "HOME PROJECTS" or "Government Jobs" .
I guess I should finish the house and build a garage to put it in first!

glenn-k

Hurry, Jimmy.  What is your opinion of this thing.  Should we save our money?

J.T.

Interesting that this topic came up. I'm purchasing one from directly from Carveright LHR-they're the  manufacturer. They changed some cosmetics for Sears to distribute it as well. I spoke to a rep yesterday who told me that the first 200 machines that went out were very problematic(pre Sears models); they have since corrected the bugs. I also went by my local Sears and checked it out. It appears to have the same structural strengths/weaknesses as some portable planers out there- namely cast aluminum and sheet metal construction. The extension tables flexed fairly easily under minimal weight but the bed height dosen't change so shop made extensions would be easy if long stock is used. The internals seemed well put together (again, for sheet metal and cast aluminum)and easily accessible. The rep was limited on knowledge (her 4th day on the job)about software capabilities beyond what the intro video shows but told me that an advanced version will be available this year for another $400.00 +/-. I've got a email list of further questions sent to the head tech guru and hope to get more info tomorrow. My gut feeling is that this is a hobbiest grade tool that probably won't hold up long to everyday use, but, in the right application could be a real time-saver/money-maker for occasional light commercial duty. After this weak review you might ask why am I buying it? I teach high school Cabinetry/Architectural Millwork and as an affordable entry level CNCish machine this will provide a decent foundation at a price that won't devour my entire tool budget. Also on the way is a Saw-Stop table saw(never thought  I'd replace a Powermatic Model 66 but if you've ever seen the "hot dog video" you'll see why-especially with kids).www.sawstop.com

Amanda_931

that modeling thing works with food!  What a thought.

glenn-k

Glad you made it back to the forum, J.T. - and now you bring this great information.

At the Carveright site it is posted that the Sears software has been cut down and is problematic.  Then the pricey upgrade coming in software.  Only a little more for the real deal.

http://www.carveright.com/pricing.html

Sears is $100 less on sale then the upgrade software later when available is $400 more - so a loss of $300 to Sears.  I guess that would go to marketing. :-/

glenn-k

Quotethat modeling thing works with food!  What a thought.

That's food for thought, Amanda. :-/

Jimmy_Cason

I think I will wait for the 2nd or 3rd generation of this...Just to get the price down and let them work out any problems.
But, I want one sooo bad!

Daddymem

Could try to build it yourself for much less....sorry sassy

glenn-k

Good idea, but I don't have a lot of patience. :-/

Here's a page of his links to browse through including info on the above but much much more.

http://builderofstuff.com/bookmarks.html

and a link to his main page.

http://builderofstuff.com/

peg_688

Oddly I'm tending to go the other way toward more hand work , now I'll never give up my power tools / routers / tablesaw/ etc . But a CNC other than being able to spit out hundreds of parts,  all the same , at a pace that can / would stagger the mind . Nah not what I'm lookin for from woodworking , to predictable /boring ::)  

J.T.

I agree with PEGG that this tool will remove the challenge from a complex, maybe even impossible woodworking project depending on skill and/or perseverence. Repetition can really be a drag whether your task is to cut rafters all day by hand or mindlessly feed parts into a machine for a living(I've done both). From a cheap and techy angle though- this tool will (that is if it dosen't break) open new doors to those who might not have the time or ability to do intricate work but have skills to add this technology as ornamentation to their own projects- and wow folks in the process. I talked to the company owner today and they are giving me an educators discount- $300.00 off -I'm sold!

peg_688

JT as a , well volinteer educator , nuttin like what your doing , although I have helped teach as a high school senior assisting a adult instr. for adult education class's , Boy did those adults ever enjoy  ::) a 18 years old teacher, but thats another storey.

And this is no attempt at slaming your program , wht the trades need is proper training using basic hand and hand held power tools , tape measure reading , math skills . Brother what I wouldn't have done to have some teacher get it thru my thick skull that math would be such a basic skill I would be using every day as a carpenter/ woodworker / cabinet maker. None did , at least that I remember.

So from my field stand point your students do not need CNC training , mabey the computer side of the skills but a lap top on Country plans is MTL enought computer skills the accual operation of that Sears tool is a world away for a shop CNC router.

Maybe a whole othet thread in this but I gotta run right now , we should one of us starta thread about just what it is I'm so poorly saying . Best of luck with your students BTW ;)

glenn-k

I agree that all the vocational classes should have a much higher priority than they currently have.  It would be good if all of the public schools actually produced students that knew enough about woodworking, shop, electrical, mechanics, sheetmetal, welding, etc. to get a job if they wanted when they got out.  Many want to go on to college - some do not.  Some just want to be drug abusing criminals.

Students straight out of high school could get good jobs with the proper skills if they want to apply themselves.

A little computer carving thrown in there could prime them for other job fields also. :)