Piute Pictures Maybe?

Started by joe_landscaper, February 10, 2006, 01:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe_landscaper

mikes pics 030.jpg    Maybe this worked

glenn-k

You can attach singles with the browse button below on the compose message box or save to photobucket then use the img tag to post it here - just copy the img tag from there to here.  Looking forward to seeing it.

http://photobucket.com/

joe_landscaper

Glenn, tried your advice, lets see if this worked ?  Pictures should be of the sunset, morning, and my dad and a friend of mine working on removing brush.

repaired links-gk

joe_landscaper

File must be to large to get everything on there, The pictures are morning, my dad and a friend removing brush and the sun setting below.

glenn-k

To make them smaller, go back to photobucket, click edit on the picture you want to change size on then scroll down - probably 50% or 75% - don't change the name - then come back here and reload this page to see the result - if you don't reload you will not see the result of your size change.

The problem above was just accidently pasting between the wrong points.

You can click the modify button to see how I changed them.

Nice wild rugged looking area.

tjm73

Cool pictures!  What's the elevation there abovr those clouds?

joe_landscaper

joe_landscaper

Glenn, much thanks for the information on posting pictures.  The land is pretty rugged, no power and no water. I have a friend below that will allow us to get water from his place and we are planning on using a  combination of solar and wind for power. Best of all, no California building inspector.

glenn-k

Solar and wind should work great - Are you going to get a Bergey or some other brand - or even make your own?

glenn-k

You could probably set up something for rainwater harvesting -store as much as possible from winter -then maybe the occasional thunderstorm.  Do you know what the rainfall is there?

joe_landscaper

I have looked at the Bergey, @$2,400 it is more than I want to spend, but I'm sure you get what you pay for. I'm also looking @ an Air X wind generator. I'm not an expert in the field so any advice is appreciated.

I have thought about collecting rain water too. We will only get 5 to 9 inches a year. Pretty dry up there. However I do have a 500 gallon poly tank and time so I'm sure I will do something in the future. I thought of using the cabin and building a water shed to maximize the amount of rain I'm able to collect.  To bad I have to work for a living, I sure have a lot of fun things planned for the next year.

glenn-k

I did a lot of comparison - got a Bergey and signed up as a dealer.  I haven't sold any because most of the people think they are going to save or mak money with it -- that doesn't happen but it will be great in an off grid situation.  I actually talk them out of it if I think it isn't for them - I don't need irate customers.

Here is a link to comparisons.  I have the XL1 plus solar panels.  I made my own tower.  I dont know if you saw it or not but I posted a pix of it on the RV garage topic last night.  The Bergey will also control solar panels in a hybrid system which is what works best in my opinion.

Bergey Comparison

Amanda_931

Gorgeous country.  One of the things I miss right here is no particular long view.  And a good sunset.

I ran into a Finnish company's web site yesterday with seriously cool looking wind turbines.  

Probably better for urban use than the Bergey, maybe easier on birds.  On the other hand the Bergey--once you get it up!--is surely better for high winds, and rumor hath it that the bird thing is heavily overblown anyway.

http://www.windside.com/index.html

There is a little video in the above link.  It was coming up just fine yesterday, very slow loading for some reason today.  Need Windows Media Player.  

These guys have a Canadian distributor, with specs on what's available.

http://www.exporalliance.ca/index.asp?sujet=windside

joe_landscaper

Thanks everyone for your replies and help. Guess I need to figure out how much electricity we are going to use and then figure out exactly what is needed and then add a little. Rather have too much than not enough. I'm still trying to decide on the refridgerator. Propane, DC, or AC. Sun Frost looks like they make some nice AC / DC  low energy use refridgerators, pretty pricy though. Any suggestions from the pros?

glenn-k

If you are going to use an AC/DC/ propane one just use the propane-- the DC or AC just runs an inefficient heater and burns up your hard earned solar electricity - Better off with a real efficient AC compressor type  than a combo if you don't run it on propane.

I would suggest using propane for most things if you can get it up there OK.

What you need depends on how many things you are using and how long.

I am running one antique very efficient antique GE refrigerator, one propane RV  refrigerator and one very efficient Conserv  freezer.

I have about 2000 watts panels and 1000 watt wind generator - 2- 4000 watt sine wave inverters to run my 220 v water pump.  12  L16 batteries.   3000 watt diesel backup generator - We are off grid full time.

joe landscaper

Thanks Glenn,  I should of been clearer, trying to decide between one or the other on the refridgerator, not a combination. Propane probably does make good sense though. We will haul our own propane up there. I didn't realize you were off the grid. Pretty cool.  :)  From reading some of your other posts I think it's a good idea to keep you away from a lot of electricity. ;D

joe landscaper

Glenn, what brand inverter? What exactly is the difference in quality between sine wave and modified sine?

glenn kangiser

I get a little fired up once in a while--- now you have me wondering which posts you read-- I am slightly anti-establishment :-/ -- maybe that was it --- the other day I hooked up a plugin while the wires were hot- only got shocked once - I had a couple of years electronics in high school and my uncle used to make me hook up plugs, switches etc hot so I didn't disrupt work.  He told me to keep my left hand in my pocket so the current wouldn't go through my heart.

I figure if my wife walks by and sees me stuck to the wire shaking, convulsing and jerking she will have enough sense to kick me free of it.  ;D

I'm using a couple older Trace sine wave inverters-  I did modified sine and wasn't happy with it - too many things don't like it -- sine wave is worth the extra money.  Sine wave is smooth - some electronics need that - modified is like a rounded square wave - flat on top and bottom - things buzz - don't run good or sometimes burn up.  I'd just rather not fool with it - sine is so much better.  For  220 you need the right inverters to go together - but you don't usually need 220 - I was planning PGE power but they ticked me off so I decided I didn't need them.  I already had a 220 pump in the well so set up for 220 - can use my welders, 200 hot tub pump etc now too if I want.

Xantrex bought out Trace - I've heard they weren't as good as the older ones but that may be just that dealers preference.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

benevolance

Joe

Where are you at..That is breathtaking!!!!!!

benevolance

Glenn

The hand in the pocket does not work for me..I am left handed...Got a couple zaps of 220 real nasty...I am scared of power now...Real bad experience removing a automatic dishwasher one time in a house and someone came along when I was holding the wires in my hands lying chest down in a damp crawlspace...Why I lived is as of yet unknown

Anti establishment...that is a tad bit of a understatement....I am merely the junior  card carrying member of the anti establishment...you are the Zen master....We are reading the scrolls and you are writing them.

Grasshopper out

glenn kangiser

Grasshopper, I am worried for you.  I am afraid I may damage your young impressionable mind. :-/

Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without moon and star.
       Confucius
       Chinese philosopher & reformer (551 BC - 479 BC)

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

jwv

QuoteThanks everyone for your replies and help. Guess I need to figure out how much electricity we are going to use and then figure out exactly what is needed and then add a little. Rather have too much than not enough. I'm still trying to decide on the refridgerator. Propane, DC, or AC. Sun Frost looks like they make some nice AC / DC  low energy use refridgerators, pretty pricy though. Any suggestions from the pros?

Hi,
Just my .02. All the refrigerators are expensive for the amount of storage space you get but living with a small one is very doable. We lived with a approx 10 cuft Servel for the 5 years we were off grid and during that time the 2 boys were in the pre-teen/teen years and you know how they can eat! I would have loved to have a separate freezer-that would have made a big difference especially if you have a significant drive to get thinks like milk.

Go for the sine wave-it'll make your life easier. Less wearing on all your electric stuff, especially electronics (computers).

judy
http://strawbaleredux.blogspot.com/

"One must have chaos in one's self to give birth to the dancing star" ~Neitszche

joe landscaper

Benevolance, southern tip of the Sierras, Borders the Sierra National Forest, Cheap land for California, $1,300 to $2,000 per acre. Mostly 5 or ten acre parcels. We have 5 acres and I'm trying to buy a few more parcels at this time. I'm lokking for some parcels to get water off of. I know i can get water off my land , just don't know deep i have to go.

Judy, actually have been looking for something in the 8.5 to 10 cu ft range. This is just for weekends and the occasional week at a time.

Sassy(Guest)

Beautiful pictures!  What wonderful views to look out your windows or walk out the door & see...  

We have a small propane fridge & antique GE monitor top fridge & a 7 or 8 cu ft chest freezer (can't remember the brand-Glenn would know) - working out just fine for us.   :)

benevolance

$2000 is a lot of money for someone like me... I am a lowly auto machanic/Restoration guru...

But those views are absolutely breathtaking! Do you have any info on some land out there...My wife might forget the fact that there are 17 junked out cars in the yard if I bought her land like that!