Alex Wade Houses

Started by milo, April 06, 2006, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milo

Hi, I've been lurking for awhile and decided to join in. I have always liked the small post & beam designs from Alex Wade's old books. I was wondering if anyone would know if these old designs would meet current building codes? I think in my area the state (MS) has recently adopted the International Building Code. Thanks for all the great info.

glenn kangiser

Hi Milo,  Welcome to the forum.  Post and beam will meet building code but as far as I know they are designed by an engineer at your expense-for acceptance where there is a building department.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

As each year goes by post and beam houses get more expensive to build (more old growth timber in the posts and beams) and tougher to meet code requirements (difficult and expensive to insulate - harder to brace for racking loads).

Lot's of alternative housing from the 1960's and 70's isn't as much an option as it once was.

Fortunately for Glenn, dirt is still dirt  :D (and is priced accordingly.  ;D)
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Dustin

Alex Wade also proposed a modified post and beam system very similar to (and probably designed by, since you can see several mentions of David in there, and his designs) David Howard's First Day building system. This is modified Post and Beam using laminated standard dimensional lumber, not big timbers.  This is a very economical way to do it. It's all in his books. You still would probably need to get the engineering/wet stamp if you are in an area that needs it. FirstDay has done all that, but they sell the houses with the system, not the system seperately.
What happened to Alex Wade? I know these books were made in the early 80's, so maybe he has passed on, but I have done a few google searches and haven't seen any more work by him since then.
You can usually buy his books fairly cheaply used at amazon.com, and they are well worth buying for the the information and suggestions alone. Yes, there is a lot of dated stuff too, but most if it is good stuff.

milo

Hi all, Thanks for the input. I have looked into Firstday, but want to build with local materials. I live in an area where southern yellow pine is the #1 industry. As to Alex Wade, I saw one reference on the net that said he died in a house fire in the mid 80's.

Dustin

Hmm. So sad we lose such great people.

I would strongly reccommend picking up Alex's 2 books, 30 Energy Efficient Houses and A Deisgn and Construction handbook for Energy Saving houses.
The modified post and beam method is fully described in the last one, with full plans even.

milo

Dustin, Thanks for the info. I have the two books you mentioned. I also have his third book, Guide To Affordable Houses. It too has a set of plans for a small (24 x 24) timber frame house built with homemade SIPs. This is the basic house that I want to build. I am going to try and find someone local to review the plan and update to current code if needed.

Dustin

I've been looking for the 3rd book myself. You just confirmed that I need to get it. Good luck on your housebuilding adventure!
You still might want to consider First Day, even with the shipping costs, after you look at your take off from the lumber yard. It's about $28-29/ sq ft, with windows, doors(interior/exterior), metal roof, and cabinets (can be taken off for rebate). They have a very inexpensive package, considering the lumber is euro-grade. You might be surprised.

What state are you building in? I'm going to build in Southern UT, once my AZ house is sold so I can free up some money.