pioneergal picture update

Started by pioneergal, March 29, 2006, 07:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pioneergal

If the weather permits we will start flooring the porch this weekend.

Jackie

glenn kangiser

Cool, Jackie-- looks like someone's been busy.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jimmy C.

Tell the hubby and the crew they have done a fine job!
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

Amanda_931

nice looking.

(and no roof overhang to speak of on the porch side!)

pioneergal

Thanks everyone for the kind compliments! :)

We are giving it our best......just hope its good enough.

DH and I started laying the floor decking on the front porch on Thursday evening.....got to work a couple of hours.
We did a little today and hope to get to work on it again on Saturday.

The 5/4 decking was recomended so that is what we bought for the porch but it is not the quality that we had hoped for but  it looks pretty good.

When we complete the porch flooring DH and a friend are going to frame the porch and then we are ready to deck this project.

Sassy

You've done a great job!  How big is it?  Couldn't remember if you'd posted that.  Looks really good sized.  What type of work are you doing on the building, Pioneergal?  Had you ever had any building experience before?  I know I've been learning "on-the'job"...
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Jackie(Guest)

QuoteYou've done a great job!  How big is it?  Couldn't remember if you'd posted that.  Looks really good sized.  What type of work are you doing on the building, Pioneergal?  Had you ever had any building experience before?  I know I've been learning "on-the'job"...

Thanks Sassy! :)

The house is 36 x 48 on an 8:12 pitch and then the front porch (8x48) comes off the front of the house on a 3:12 pitch.
So the actual length and depth is 44 x 48  .

We are doing most of the work along with some great friends who have volunteered some free time.

We did sub out the roof framing to a guy in our church who is a framer M-F with a contractor but is now doing work on the side to eventually go out on his own. It was the one phase that DH did not want to tackle on his own and Sam did a good job.
He actually got 2 more jobs to do after ours from individuals that saw our house. So we all benefited from this.

Eventho it was not a part of the original handshake, Sam asked if we would like a boxed ceiling in our LR with out an extra charge.
He said that it would look great and he wanted to do it if we would agree to it.
The walls in the LR start out at 9 ft. and go up to 10 and it really added depth to the room.........I love it!

Many years ago DH worked for about 2 years  with a friend that was a Jack- of- all- trades so he has a concept of building but does not claim to master the skill. My dad was always building something so I grew up around carpentry.I have always been eager to look, ask questions, listen and learn.
So, basically we are learning as we go by trial and error and with the help of the great people of this forum.

The house has grown on us but I enjoy working on it and can't wait to move in but that will be a while yet .

Jackie

glenn kangiser

I always like to hear that there are still people who deal with a handshake as their contract.  I grew up that way.  It bites me once in a while but I eliminate the ones who are not honorable (not literally--I mean I quit dealing with them).  

The world of lawyers and snakes is a different story.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

The livingroom ceiling sounds nice!  My dad did a lot of handiwork also.  For some reason, I always liked to play around in his workshop - pounding nails, cutting stuff, smashing fingers...   :-/ He built a familyroom onto our house & one day started digging by hand in the backyard... wouldn't tell us kids what he was doing... turned out he was digging the hole for a swimming pool!  The neighbors always helped with any projects - we ended up with a nice built-in cement pool that the whole neighborhood practically lived in from the time it got warm enough to dive in until it got too cold.  Kept us kids outa trouble  ::)  they always knew where we were!  Especially those hot 100+ degree days  :)

I find I have to be patient cuz things never move quite as fast as you'd like them too  ;) but am enjoying the process, learning lots, and have the satisfaction of seeing what we have accomplished!  :)  
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free