New Member Building a 12X16 Cape Cod Cabin

Started by Lil_Cabin_That_Could, May 20, 2008, 05:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lil_Cabin_That_Could

Hello all,
My name is Jimmy and I'm new here (awesome site!)..... I am 30 years old and work for my Dad's construction company.....

I am currently building a 12'x16' Cape Cod cabin on my property beside a stream.  It will be used for get-togethers, home away from home etc.... The siding is made out of Hem-Fir 2x10 and 2x12's (I use a plainer and Chistle to rough them up to look like old logs) .....It now has a 7x16 front porch/deck (not shown) that leads to a 16'x16' stone patio with a fire pit in the middle... Eventually, when I get to the inside, it will have a 6x16 loft on the back wall...

Just thought I'd share some photo's and if everyone like's it I'll add some more.....Any and all comments appreciated!!

My link for more photo's is http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=41875112&albumId=1419507

Redoverfarm

Jimmy to get the authentic look you might consider an adze (sp)for the old hand hewed look.  Your cabin looks real comfortable. Given the size it looked to be a real challange to set 2 dormers in that limited space. 

With that said  w* to the forrum.  Whether you are finished (wish I was) or not it is a good place to pick up information that would likely prove useful. 

MountainDon

w* Lil_Cabin_That_Could

We love pictures!   :)

BTW, the link to your myspace only opens to the main page of myspace, not your site   ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Lil_Cabin_That_Could

Hello Redoverfarm,
Lol, yeah the dormers were fun giving the 12/12 pitch and trying to balance them so they didn't look awkward on such a small building. If I remember correctly, the dormers wound up being 3'wx5't to peak with a 2x2 window. The main roof has a 16" overhang all around.
The back roof is a 4/12, front is 12/12 and the porch is a 3.5/12...

If I can get the "adding images" thing down maybe I can add  better pic's

Redoverfarm

Lil_Cabin_That_Could

Wow, never had that problem before?? I don't know if it's a new myspace thing or what....I'll see if I can Fix it...

BTW, Redoverfarm what area of West Virginia do you live near?  I have relatives that live near Summersville. My girlfriend and I were just in WV at the New River Gorge Bridge.

Bishopknight

Lil_Cabin_That_Could

Thanks man, yours is coming along nicely as well [cool].... Here is a shot of inside dormers

Lil_Cabin_That_Could

some more pics and I'm done for a while, I promise!

glenn kangiser

Looks great - nice outside area too.  w* to the forum. 

Watch your feet if you get an adz but yes - it is a great tool.

...and nobody here is going to complain if you add more pix. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Lil_Cabin_That_Could

Pardon my ignorance, but what is an ADZ?  Might be something I might need to add to my tool collection.  Scarring/roughing up the boards with the Makita handplainer takes a while lol..... I was going to notch all the 2x's at the corner, instead of making/using a beam but rendered it was way to time consuming...

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure what I'll use for chinking between all those 2x's lol...I spaced them at a 1 5/8 gap (2x4).....
Thanks for all the input!

MaineRhino

Very nice and rustic. I really like the fire pit!

Lil_Cabin_That_Could

Maine, all I know is that the Sackrete company shouldn't be going bankrupt any time soon with the amount of bags I've used lol.

Redoverfarm

Good close up on the logs. Chink that a dirty word for me. Spent 200 hours on mine on the outside and inside. Not to mention the wire as well. Gland that phase is complete.  I explained my formula in my signature post.  Not sure which page but it was cheper than the synthetic which you might be able to get by with given the size.  I used 1/4" grid rabbit wire, Type S mortar, Sand mix 2:1(mortar). Insulation board in the middle of the log.

As to where I am located. I live about 1 hr 15 min from Summersville. I used to live at Fayeteville in the mid 60's where the gourge bridge was located. In fact I lived on the Fayette Station Road leading to the old bridge.  Now I am just north of White Sulphur Springs on the WV & VA line.

Unless I am mistaken you are in Maryland some place.  Another distant relative to my existence.  I lived at Charles Town, Harpers Ferry for about 15 years and frequented Hagerstown, Rockville, Baltimore, Cumberland and Frostburg. So where exactly are you.

glenn kangiser

http://aloghomestore.com/tools-adze.shtml

Adz is a sideways ax.  Good for taking off knots - bark or hewing logs and toes.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Lil_Cabin_That_Could

Red, now thats a awesome place you have,wow maybe someday I'll find one like that..... I bet that took over 200 hours, I'd have a panic attack on where to begin lol...

I live about 45 minutes north of Baltimore in a tiny town named Street/Highland (bout 5 minutes from MD/PA line and Near Rock State Park)... My Girlfriend and I used to head to WV at least once a month, but now that diesel is so high we gotta save up for our big trip out west again...Thanks for the info everyone!

Redoverfarm

BiggKidd

Quote from: glenn kangiser on May 20, 2008, 08:30:41 PM
http://aloghomestore.com/tools-adze.shtml

Adz is a sideways ax.  Good for taking off knots - bark or hewing logs and toes.

Glenn,

Is there anything you don't know where to find? You and Don, John (red) too know where to find most anything. I think its great that you guys post all these links.

Larry
A hard life only makes you stronger.

Larry

glenn kangiser

I got on the forum pretty early so have found a few things, over time.  I think Don will pass me - he's more organized than I am. [crz]

I actually have a couple adzes.  I also used a small garden tool from Home Depot to make a small hand one.  I used the big one cutting knots off of beams on my underground complex.

John Raabe

When it comes to tools and how to use them, ALL of these guys have long ago passed me. :P

I still tryin' to figure out how to use the Globe Masterâ„¢ hammer I bought in 1976.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

You have me in the planning department, John -- I never get past the meat plans in my head --OK - I do a few napkin sketches, but you are better than me at that too. :)

Sassy

Quote from: John Raabe on May 21, 2008, 08:03:43 PM
When it comes to tools and how to use them, ALL of these guys have long ago passed me. :P

I still tryin' to figure out how to use the Globe Masterâ„¢ hammer I bought in 1976.

I don't feel so bad, then, John  ;D 

Lil Cabin - way cool!  Really like what you've done - I think you've done a very authentic job on the logs - very quaint - reminds me of the cabins that you see pix of in historical books.  I love the way you've done the rock work & fire pit.  You should be very proud of what you've accomplished! 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free