20x40 1 1/2 story in NW PA

Started by itpdk9, August 12, 2012, 07:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itpdk9

So I am starting my official build post...Finally.  I purchased 18 acres in May of this year in NW PA approximately 1 hour from my perminant residence.  When looking for property this was one of the main things that I looked for, I didn't want to be too far away from home but far enough... I wanted a wooded property, which is what I found.  The 18 acres is about 17 1/2 acres of woods, mostly Hemlock Trees, with except where I plan to build the cabin there are some small cherry, ash, oak and other unknown trees.  This area is where I will be clearing out to constuct my cabin.  Currently, I have a camper on the property which we have been staying, while I have been doing site prep.

Since I purchased he property, I have installed a 350 ft driveway to get back to where we will build.  I had the electric brought on to the property as far back as the electric company would bring it.  It ended up being 350 ft from the roadway pole, so approximately 300 ft onto my property.  I had an electrician friend of mine come and hook up the electric so that I could plug the camper in.  Once this was installed it was a huge comfort, no more generator for power.  I am currently clearing the the area where the camp will be,  waiting for my water well to be installed which will be hopefully the first week of October (hes really busy right now) and then will be installing the septic.  My hope is to be able to start to construct the cabin in late April/ early May 2013.  I will be using the post/pier foundation and extending the 20x30 plans to 40 ft. 

I am looking forward to the getting the help and support I need from the forum and I will be posting pictures soon.  Thanks for all of your help so far and allowing me to be a part of a great forum. ;D

itpdk9

new to me ford 8n

installing driveway

driveway install

current driveway picture, still need to add topcoat

build site before clearing trees

itpdk9

first attempt to post pictures and I messed it up  d* hopefully one of the mods can fix it...

itpdk9

starting to clear the future cabin site

MountainDon

itpdk9, you should see a "modify" button, top right of your messages. You can use that to edit that. I've no time to edit it today.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

itpdk9

Quote from: MountainDon on August 12, 2012, 09:01:29 AM
itpdk9, you should see a "modify" button, top right of your messages. You can use that to edit that. I've no time to edit it today.

Thanks mountaindon, i couldn't figure out how to do it.  appreciate the help  ;D

itpdk9

installing fence and farm gate

me and my helpers...

rick91351

Couple things one the one hour drives is really cool.  I have been doing the two hour shuffle literally my whole 60 years.  Born into it.  The two even hours gets long sometimes.

Has your property been perk tested?  I would suggested that you get the septic in first.  What is underground will dictate where put stuff above ground.  However with 18 acres it should fit somewhere.  Long story there with our place.  Everywhere we tried to put our septic would not work!

The other 300 ft of electrical are you planing underground?  You are lucky they went that far Idaho Power does like 100 ft.

Love the old Ford they were and are still a good little tractor to have around. 

If it we me I would think about pouring a footing and walls rather than Pier and Post.  To me that is a lot quicker and easier especially a 20 X 40 which is a very nice size cabin and should look very nice nestled in to the trees there.     

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

glenn kangiser

Great looking crew.  Looks like a great project.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

itpdk9

rick- property was perked so that is a go...  I will have about 75 feet of underground to where cabin will be, so shouldn't be that bad.  The 52 8n runs like its brand new, pretty amazing what that thing will do for being 60 yrs old reminds me alot of my dad lol.  The hour drive is sooo nice, I was able to head up yesterday after work, put 4 hours in and still able to get home to put the kids to bed.  Makes it nice.  Just far enough to get away from the stress but close enough, have some great hunting there two, got 3 bears on my trail cam yesterday, gotta put the pictures up pretty cool. Thanks for the comments.

mountainlady1956

Love that tractor! We had one just like it, came in handy when we built on our property. Had to sell it when we moved :-\Your property is beautiful (as are your kids ;D)

Cathy

Sassy

w*  Beautiful property & family!  Looking forward to seeing your progress  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

dablack

Great Tractor and looks like the land is going to be nice as well. 

I've got the same sort of thing going.  It is about 50 from the rent house to the property.  About three days a week I go up after work and then the whole weekend I stay in the camper. 

Austin

itpdk9

I went up to the property yesterday and moved the camper out so that could continue to clear out the trees for the building site.  I went back up today with a friend of mine who cuts trees for a living.  I had a bunch of ash trees that needed removed.  We are having a real problem here with our ash trees dying because of the ash borer beetles.  They are slowly killing off all the ash trees.  Also took a bunch of other trees.  It really opened up the area.  I am going to go back up in two weeks and clean up.  Just dropped them and cut the limbs off.  I shouldn't ever want for firewood again.  I have sooo much now, just gotta take the splitter up and get to work. 

I also picked up a 12 inch auger bit to compliment the 9 inch bit I already have for the auger that attaches to the ol 8n.  Hopefully I can get the site cleaned up and start staking out where the cabin will be since now I have the room for it.  It really brought in the sunlight cutting all the trees down, going to be really nice...someday.  ;)

Steve_B

It's all about the kiddies I tell you...

itpdk9

An update to my progress is that I got all the components for my septic system and am waiting to get it installed probably within the next two weeks.  I am also waiting on the well install which is supposed to be sometime in October need to get ahold of the driller to see how his schedule is.  I did a lot more lot clearing and have been burning a bunch of brush.   

I am also in the process of buying a new tractor, have been doing a bunch of research and actually found a member here, boondoc on the tractorbynet.com forum.  Got a ton of great info there and have pretty much settled on a Kubota B3200 with front end loader and backhoe which will come in SOOOO handy at the property.  I cannot wait.  I am probably going to the dealer tomorrow to finalize the purchase. 

So thanks to all who are following, I will try and get some pictures up of my current progress and I will definitely show off my tractor when I take delivery.

Steve_B

Any updates or pictures to post?

It's all about the kiddies I tell you...

itpdk9

hello again,

Its been a while but I have been busy... I got my well and septic in place.  I also just this past week got my Cabin Affidavit (building permit) so I am good to build as soon as the weather breaks here. 

I am going to upload a picture of the rough plans that I have drawn up.  If you all could look and let me know what you think.  I took the floor plan from Mogie and am going to have a full second floor.  The steps I was going to try and use a full set, I know this will take up more space but I don't really like the idea of the turned steps on the landing, I have little ones and don't want them taking a header down them.  So here is the picture, I am open for your suggestions.

itpdk9

A couple more pictures...
This is of site cleared with septic installed.  The porch will be close to where the camper from this direction you will be looking at the gable end.

New Toy...

Don_P

Just a note, double check the window height behind the queen bed, I think the sill is about 18" off the floor with a 54" usually.

itpdk9

Quote from: Don_P on January 12, 2013, 07:18:26 PM
Just a note, double check the window height behind the queen bed, I think the sill is about 18" off the floor with a 54" usually.

Thanks Don_P.  I have them in my house now and they are set at 24 inches here, with 8 foot ceilings.  I realize that the bed will be blocking it but it was more for the balance of windows in the front of the cabin.  I thought if I went with a smaller window there it would look weird.  What are your opinions on this?  Thanks  ;D

itpdk9

Also, any thoughts on extending the 2x6x10 studs to 2x6x12? Is it worth the extra money per board? I will have a full second floor. 

Another question... I wanted to use exposed beams looking up to the second floor, and a T&G flooring upstairs.  The problem there is I cannot find wood that will span 20 feet without using a post in the middle somewhere, which I don't want to do.  Seems like my only option is to use I-Joists.  Opinions??

Would these work 3-1/2 in. x 11-7/8 in. x 20 ft. Glulam and how far could i space them on center if I use 2x6 t&g on the floor above.  Would they be able to span the full 20 feet without needing posts in the center of the living space?

Thanks again for your help all.

Don_P

Check here for 2x joists;
http://www.awc.org/calculators/span/calc/timbercalcstyle.asp
I think you're talking #2 dense SYP or better in 2x12

I have the AITC manual on the shelf or they have their span tables online for the glulams, but I'd be willing to bet the 2x6 decking controls this...4' max span so 4' beam spacing if I recall right. They do make heavier decking that can span further.

edit...PA, check availability if you go 2x lumber. Dougfir (check the spancalc for what grade you would need) may be more common than Southern Yellow Pine in your local market. those are our two strongest commercial species so are best for long spans, then it's a matter of going up through the grades to see if any can handle your span and load.

Squirl

It depends on the spacing.  You can span almost all 2x12 No.2 the 19'-1" @ 12" O/C.  I found that with the lower cost of the thinner subfloor sheathing and no center posts, it made the cost difference close to a wash.

itpdk9

I got my take off sheets back from both HD and Lowes Bid Rooms today.  I have spent the last 2 weeks every night figuring out materials for the build.  Wow have materials increased in price and to my surprise Lowes killed HD prices.  I am more loyal to HD as I feel they have better every day prices but their Bid Room gave 9% off compared to HD 5%.  Pretty excited to have this part done.  My list includes everything except for finish flooring, finish exterior and ceiling for 1st floor(pine T&G). 

I also met with my buddy who is a contractor.  He is going to set aside the last week of April to help me hopefully get the cabin under roof.  I am fairly certain that it can be done in a week. (fingers crossed).  Getting really excited just hope the weather breaks and it dries out.  I was at the property a few weeks ago and it is really muddy (snow covered now).  I will be very happy to have the foundation part done and be off the ground.  Well my planning continues... Thanks again for the help along the way