Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

http://www.amazon.com/PEAK-PER0A3-RV-Marine-Antifreeze/dp/B00BGS2HLK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1448120002&sr=8-5&keywords=rv+antifreeze
Not being an RV'er I've never heard of this stuff and for the last couple winters (since putting in the drains etc) I've had problems with either gas coming up drained traps or cracked traps in the spring....and then a neighbor pointed me to this great stuff! 

It's cheap which is good, and can take the cold (won't freeze above -50).  You just pour it down the sink I'm told, and walk away.  Gotta love it!

Redoverfarm

Been using it for years. Check with Walmart.  I just bought 4 gal for cabin and RV for $2.46 gal.  The cabin I usually blow the lines out but add it to the toilet and traps. 

OlJarhead

Quote from: Redoverfarm on November 21, 2015, 10:44:33 AM
Been using it for years. Check with Walmart.  I just bought 4 gal for cabin and RV for $2.46 gal.  The cabin I usually blow the lines out but add it to the toilet and traps.

That's where I got mine actually - just used the amazon link as a info post -- should get a pic and post instead.

What's even better is that I found a sink faucet to hose adapter and we were able to blow out the lines 100% today!!!  We also came up with the idea (ok my neighbor came up with it) to put the pressure up to 50PSI and open up the main valve after the lines were clear.  What this did was push the water back past the main valve and completely out of the line coming into the cabin.  To check we opened the frost free spigot which sits just before the main (uphill side) and air was coming out of it so we closed the main and I danced a jig :)

Yup, I'm pleased!

OlJarhead

It's been a while!

Not much done at the cabin this fall but I did get the controller on the generator replaced, the knife switch installed and I've made one small end table for the cabin also.

Knife switch installed and connected.

Opened.

This makes it VERY easy for me to disconnect the generator when I'm going to be gone for a long time and the power will be shut down.  It prevents the generator battery from being killed when no power is feeding the charger.

One finished end table.  I have another I'm about to sand and stain and put legs on and a 3rd that just needs legs.

Once those are done I have another table project going that will round out this winters 'furniture' build for the cabin and then I'll get back to paneling and flooring :)

berestie

OlJarhead

This one is just varathaned with Spar Varathane so not as thick. 

Still need to sand and stain legs, then glue them up and coat with Spar.

This is a narrow table (7" at the narrow end and 9" at the wide end) but the idea was to make use of the thick slab I had and the cabin is small so small end tables are nice!

The legs are set at 5 degrees of angle to provide a little extra support which I think will be fine.  My round table is at 10 degrees but I think that's more aggressive than needed -- we shall see!

knopfarrow

This site needs a "like" button for posts. I would like this!  [cool]
"One is not a pattern. Two is not a trend." -me

OlJarhead

Getting there.

I need to adjust my tenon cutters and do some test cuts in the future as the tenons are a tad loose.  Nothing Elmers can't solve though ;)

Next step is to let the stain dry, then glue up (and clean up) and finally the finish coats of varathane -- then on to No.3

OlJarhead

Table number three is my 'coin table'.  I was given these coins while serving in South Korea (all but the Marine Corps coin which an older veteran gave me more recently).  Each one represents 'excellence' and the Army does this for those who stand out.  I received one from the Division Command Sergeant Major for being the only Signal Corps soldier who graduated as 'Class Honor man' of the PLDC course in Korea though to be honest and fair I am a Marine who served in Light Armored Infantry years before so really I wasn't a normal or usual Signal Corps Soldier! LOL  I also received the big medallion and another coin from the Battalion Command Sergeant Major for both the graduation from PLDC as Honor Man but also for a few other things and finally I received one from the Battalion Commander for Excellence as well as the Company Commander.  I wasn't in the Army too much longer so these are all the coins I received (served just shy of 3 years).

For years these coins were tucked away and all but forgotten but in the move to our new home (and town) they came out.

Now they will be seen at the cabin by anyone who drops in :)

garyc

Quote from: OlJarhead on December 16, 2015, 11:10:59 PM

Getting there.

I need to adjust my tenon cutters and do some test cuts in the future as the tenons are a tad loose.  Nothing Elmers can't solve though ;)

Next step is to let the stain dry, then glue up (and clean up) and finally the finish coats of varathane -- then on to No.3

What you can do to get a tighter tenon is to cut a slice across it like you do a hammer handle and start a wedge in it and hammer the leg into the tenon hole. The deeper the leg goes into hole the tighter it will fit.     
If it wasn't for bad luck . I would 't have any luck at all.

OlJarhead

I can adjust me cutters and just got lazy! LOL

garyc

Quote from: OlJarhead on December 19, 2015, 05:33:10 PM
I can adjust me cutters and just got lazy! LOL

I'm the same way! I get lazy doing a job and it cost me more time to get it done. I guess I'm to old to learn.
If it wasn't for bad luck . I would 't have any luck at all.

OlJarhead

Ah yup!

Mixing up a batch of Parks Super Glaze I saw there were really too many bubbles and thought "I'll work them out" when I should have dumped the glaze and stared with a fresh batch and been more careful...It was probably $8 worth of glaze though so I went with it....result?  Bubbles in the finish :(

Wife says no one will notice but I WILL!  d*

Next step is to work off the edges a bit after damming up the glaze and then with luck a final pouring will smooth things over, hide the bubbles and give a nice edge too.

UK4X4

RV antifreeze.....don't believe the label, we had whole solid bottles of it when we opened the trailer last year in CO......we had winterized the trailer by blowing out the water with air,
would not like to consider what the pipes would have been like if we'd used it as designed...

I have a pic somewhere when I find it, temps were -20oC at night, only -4oF.....

OlJarhead

That's scary.  My neighbors use the stuff and swear by it though so I'll hope and pray ;)

MountainDon

Solid block like water would be?   The polypropylene RV is can get thick but does not expand enough to crack pipes. According to the label on the bottles I have used.  It does work as I have used it and in some very cold weather; -30F in Canada     Do an experiment and place a small container in your fridge freezer at home.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

UK4X4

yep solid block......of RV antifreeze.....you can see the air at the bottom.....had to be a reason I took a photo of the bottle...!

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

I have seen the name brands not solid but pliable down to around minus 30 F.  Then after that really do not know.  I do know though when we had our first camper it was blow it out....  I trust RV Antifreeze in both my fifthwheels.     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

upa

I put the RV antifreeze in the toilet and p trap typically in November. The out door temperatures can go into  -40 Celsius range during the winter but lowest  temperature I have recorded indoors is -28C , the antifreeze looks like its a Slurpee consistency. The toilet or the p trap have  yet to crack over the last several winters, so I am going to say it does what it claims.

OlJarhead

Just need some spar on the legs and a little touch up and we're done.  This one will go against a wall near a chair.  It's small but will fit nicely out of the way in the cabin.

Getting there.  Unfortunately I did not see the left over tape glue from damming the top up one coat back and poured the new coat on over it!  Yikes!  I can hope it covers well.

I believe one more coat tomorrow will finish this off -- at least I'm going to say it's done then!

Next will be the legs.  With luck I'll have it ready for New Years :)

Adam Roby

That really looks fantastic, it is almost like you dipped the wood in liquid plastic.
If the wood is not completely dry, is there any chance it can rot or cause the varathane to bubble or peel off?

OlJarhead

Thanks -- it looks pretty awesome up close :)

The wood is completely dry so I don't think there is an issue there.  If you are thinking of doing the same thing I'd suggest being sure the wood is completely dry.

OlJarhead

Perfect Fit:)

These worked great!  Can't wait to finish the last one and begin the next project

Winter at the cabin :)

We just love all the snow -- so awesome :)

Can't wait to go back!

JavaMan

Those pics make me jealous a bit...

I can't wait to get back up to my place either!  But unless I get a snowmobile (which I might), I am going to have to wait until May or June.  I think this is the year, tho.  At least I hope so.

How are things otherwise?