Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Quote from: Yonderosa on May 09, 2012, 10:06:56 AM

Was it Midway?

They seem to be very competitive in their pricing AND they deliver.

Yes that's it, thanks!  Very nice and good pricing (and delivery was pretty cheap).

OlJarhead

So the neighbor put a pump on our water main and ran it -- the report is that we now have more water but that it's dirty.

So, it seems that pretty much confirms my thoughts:  pipes are poorly installed and as such are simply coming apart at the seems (joins).

So, I have to get the trackhoe up there and dig it ALL up!

Guess I'll put in a bigger line while I'm at it then.

OlJarhead

Seems pipe is about $5-$6 per ten foot section which means I'd need about $150 of piping to replace ALL of the pipe from the cistern to the spigot..

Since it's one inch pipe now I could replace that (since I'm digging it up anyway) with 1 1/4 to 2" pipe (prefer 2" but not sure if I can get a bulkhead fitting into that cistern for that size of pipe) and greatly increase the capacity of the system.

With just the increase to 1 1/4" pipe I will have 1.57 times the capacity of a 1" pipe!  And if I can go to 1 1/2" pipe it will be equivalent to 2 1/4 one inch pipes.

Then I could use the old 1" pipe for spurs off of the main line to the cabin and orchard. :)

OlJarhead

$222 for 2" pipe from the place in Okanagon for 300 feet.

They have the 2" bulkheads for the cistern and he tells me that I can drill a 3" hole in the side of the cistern 'bowl' and that it SHOULD form the side of the cistern correctly and seal because they have enough flex.

The size of the hole is the same for 1.5" to 2" bulkheads so going to 2" makes sense and I can just cap off the old 1" line.

Since I'll have to have a trackhoe I can also put this bulkhead down LOW on the tank and get rid of the siphon -- go straight gravity which has to be better.

I think that's what I'm going to do!

MikeOnBike

This is good stuff.  We are putting in a well this year and have to sort out cistern/no_cistern, well location, electrical for the well, how to supply three cabins with 160' of elevation difference between them, how to bury the pipe in our rock pile.   ???   The list goes on and on...

You thought you had a working water system, what you have is a 'project'.  It sounds like it is time to redo it.  Good luck!

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 09, 2012, 11:20:59 AM
$222 for 2" pipe from the place in Okanagon for 300 feet.

They have the 2" bulkheads for the cistern and he tells me that I can drill a 3" hole in the side of the cistern 'bowl' and that it SHOULD form the side of the cistern correctly and seal because they have enough flex.

The size of the hole is the same for 1.5" to 2" bulkheads so going to 2" makes sense and I can just cap off the old 1" line.

Since I'll have to have a trackhoe I can also put this bulkhead down LOW on the tank and get rid of the siphon -- go straight gravity which has to be better.

I think that's what I'm going to do!

Sound good!  I like the idea of straight gravity feed, much better than the siphon.  Should work well (no pun intended) ;)

OlJarhead

Might be able to get the pipe cheaper here at HD or Lowes (still have to check) but I can already see it's going to have to be done -- with an RV pump working we're only getting 1/2 gallon per minute!  That SUCKS!

So the entire 300 plus feet of pipe will get dug up and replaced with 2" pipe.  I can use the old 1" pipe for the wiring from the cistern to the well (might as well) and can change the course the pipe takes down the hill to make it run more directly to the cabin and orchard :)

So I like that A LOT!

I can also add another frost free spigot (at the orchard) or two (again, might as well right?) and plumb water into the cabin sooner then originally planned.

Time to get planning!!!

OlJarhead

Oh lord I have CABIN FEVER!

It's been a week and a half since I was last at my cabin.  I planted 5 apples, dug up everything trying to solve a water problem (lack thereof) and left with high hopes of returning with a trackhoe soon......

Thanks to my neighbors for watering my trees every day for me!!!  Without them the trees would have died.

Plans are to get the water problem resolved on the 8th of June (just in time for my neighbors to head back home for a couple months) and then the trees should make it through the summer!  And I can get back to milling lumber and working on the cabin.

Before that I'll go out Memorial weekend and build the rest of the fence to keep the cows out.  Can't wait!!!

Meanwhile, I work in the garden and around the house trying desperately to hold on for another week and a half -- man I have the big super bad!!!

UK4X4

You can buy decent water pipe on the roll, rather than individual lengths- makes for a joint free installation

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 15, 2012, 12:59:03 PM
Oh lord I have CABIN FEVER!

It's been a week and a half since I was last at my cabin.  I planted 5 apples, dug up everything trying to solve a water problem (lack thereof) and left with high hopes of returning with a trackhoe soon......

Thanks to my neighbors for watering my trees every day for me!!!  Without them the trees would have died.

Plans are to get the water problem resolved on the 8th of June (just in time for my neighbors to head back home for a couple months) and then the trees should make it through the summer!  And I can get back to milling lumber and working on the cabin.

Before that I'll go out Memorial weekend and build the rest of the fence to keep the cows out.  Can't wait!!!

Meanwhile, I work in the garden and around the house trying desperately to hold on for another week and a half -- man I have the big super bad!!!
I hear you there, Jarhead... I am finding it difficult to concentrate at the office ... this nice weather we're having here on the wetside is getting me antsy to get out and doing something on the place.

The plan had been to be heading up this afternoon, but the truck needs fixin' first.  But that means I might be able to get some additional work done.  I may even add another day to the weekend.  And if I can convince my boss that I will actually get work done, I might try to telecommute a few days while I'm up there.

LIke UK4X4 said, you can get a roll of water pipe all in one piece. I saw a guy at the blue store with a couple rolls of it over the weekend.

AdironDoc

Funny how the knowledge that you'll be going up to your camp on the weekend can brace you against just about any BS you encounter during the week! By Tuesday, I'm saying, "It's almost Friday!". Two days at the camp, five days milling around in HD or Lowes wasting money on parts that are never what I actually needed.. God I love it!  :P

OlJarhead

Quote from: AdironDoc on May 16, 2012, 07:35:32 AM
Funny how the knowledge that you'll be going up to your camp on the weekend can brace you against just about any BS you encounter during the week! By Tuesday, I'm saying, "It's almost Friday!". Two days at the camp, five days milling around in HD or Lowes wasting money on parts that are never what I actually needed.. God I love it!  :P

hahahaha  aint that the truth! LOL

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on May 16, 2012, 06:58:03 AM
I hear you there, Jarhead... I am finding it difficult to concentrate at the office ... this nice weather we're having here on the wetside is getting me antsy to get out and doing something on the place.

The plan had been to be heading up this afternoon, but the truck needs fixin' first.  But that means I might be able to get some additional work done.  I may even add another day to the weekend.  And if I can convince my boss that I will actually get work done, I might try to telecommute a few days while I'm up there.

LIke UK4X4 said, you can get a roll of water pipe all in one piece. I saw a guy at the blue store with a couple rolls of it over the weekend.

Oh to telecommute from the cabin -- I could if I had internet there! lol

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 16, 2012, 08:36:29 AM
Oh to telecommute from the cabin -- I could if I had internet there! lol
I have a surefire way to get internet (and power and phone) at the cabin... just convince one of the wireless companies to put a cell tower on one of the corners of the place   ;)  they'll have to maintain the road in, too!

I doubt that I could get any of them to do that, though.

CjAl

i will bet good money you have air in your line between the cistern and spigot. whrn i was looking into hydro electric setups this was a very comon problem in long runs of pipe. i believe they soldved it by t'n in a vent pipe in the middle of the run and extending it up above the water level. im not sur how this would work for you and youd have to find a way to keep bugs and dirt out of it

OlJarhead

My neighbor has been using an RV pump to draw the water through the pipe which may be forcing the air out but he's still getting only about 10psi (rough guess) at the hose in the orchard and is getting about 1.5 gallons/min of flow.

My plan is to install the 2" pipe, fill it with water and then open the valve to get it working -- I think the key will also be to lower the siphon hose on the cistern so it's well below the half full mark.  This will insure the water is being forced down the pipe as long as the cistern is at least half full.

Or so I think!

CjAl

the pipe needs to be as straight as possible. any sagging and it traaps air at the high points. as you say with the poor quality installation i am sure this is your problem. the high psi for a moment and then tapering off is indictive of an air blockage

OlJarhead

Quote from: CjAl on May 16, 2012, 11:15:19 PM
the pipe needs to be as straight as possible. any sagging and it traaps air at the high points. as you say with the poor quality installation i am sure this is your problem. the high psi for a moment and then tapering off is indictive of an air blockage

Thanks -- that has been my thought.  I also think the line is leaking.

I think when we lay the 2" line we will work extra hard to make sure it's straight as can be!

OlJarhead

Router setup for cutting 'slots' or 'grooves' in the risers for my stairs (no longer really a ships ladder).

Hardest part is getting each one the right distance from the other (8" rise) but I've got all of them within 1/16" of what they are supposed to be.

Took a long time to finish this side because I had to reset the 'jigs' for each cut -- what I needed was a sheet of plywood with a 5 1/2" slot cut in it....hmmmm......I might have to make one as it would be MUCH faster.

Test fitting a stair tread.  I did this for each one to make sure I had not goofed.

Then I proceeded to work on the 2nd riser and messed up :(  Good thing I have extra pine Milled up!!!!  I cut three slots into the 2nd riser before realizing I was putting them on the wrong side!   d* d* d*

No way to correct that so I'm going to have to plane a new piece of lumber, cut the angles, round the edges and get to slotting it.

I'm just glad I brought home 2 or 3 extra 2x10x10's!

OlJarhead

To answer someones question (that I think will be asked), I cut the slots 1/4 of an inch.  Why?  Well Scott (and I presume others) don't do this at all but I felt it would make the stairs stronger if I did.  I'll then drill 4 holes per tread per side and countersink them on the outside.  Once I glue and screw the treads in I'll cover the countersunk holes (and screw heads) with plugs so they are hidden.

I've decided to use 3 1/2" deck screws for the job of securely attaching the treads and a good wood glue (and clamps to keep it clamped and glued for 24 hrs.

I'm still debating whether or not I'll build them entirely here at home and then take to the cabin and install, or if like Scott I'll take the pieces and assemble on site.  The problem with doing onsite is that I'm not sure how well that will work doing it mostly alone but we'll see.

One thing I have to work out still is the lower mounting setup.  I think I'm going to use 1/4" steel plate bent 90" and screwed into the risers and floor (with bracing under the floor) and then 2x10 between the risers up top anchored into the studs behind it with the ladder/stair risers screwed into that 2x10 (same size as a stair tread and fit between the risers perpendicular to the stairs - parallel with the wall.

By doing it that way I have to believe it will be very solid.

Then I just have to put some nailers around the top section for the T&G pine panel.

OlJarhead

Well I should be reporting a finished (rough) set of stairs however I goofed big time  d* and am just now getting the 2nd stringer remade.  Once it's done I can test fit the treads all at once and see how it looks.  Then sand and stain for a couple days and poly coat before heading to the cabin :)  Wish me luck!

JavaMan

good luck!

They are looking good though!

OlJarhead

OK, got the 2nd riser done and test fit all the treads.  I've also begun to sand everything and hope to start coating with stain this afternoon!

Here is the first shot of the stairs.

Sort of a 'bottom up' view.

Now time to get some ibuprofen (lol) and relax for an hour or so before getting back at it.

OlJarhead

Let the staining begin!

First coat of 'Ipswitch Pine' stain.  It will need MORE!

Some window trim I stained while I was at it -- same Ipswitch Pine stain.

Unstained clear pine compared to the stained Blue stained pine.

Ya, I'm having fun :)

Gary O

Lookin' good OJ, lookin' good
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson