Author Topic: Glenn's Underground Cabin Update  (Read 1724125 times)

Offline Ernest T. Bass

• "One in the same, 'Bass' is the name!"
  • Journeyman
    • Our Family's Blog (cordwood house building and homestead-related stuff)
Re: Glenn's Underground Cabin Update
« Reply #5300 on: August 12, 2015, 09:17:09 PM »
Thanks Glenn--that's an idea that I hadn't thought of...

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

Offline glenn kangiser

• The Troglodyte
  • Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Central California Sierras- Home of Yosemite NP
    • Underground Cabin
« Reply #5301 on: February 12, 2016, 11:03:28 AM »
My pleasure, Andrew.  Back from Myanmar and cross country travels there.

Blew up the engine on my crane truck so I get to go back to being a mechanic for a while... hope I can mickey mouse it back together successfully....

I need it to do this again sometimes ....    [ouch]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Offline glenn kangiser

• The Troglodyte
  • Administrator
  • Journeyman
    • Underground Cabin
« Reply #5302 on: February 28, 2016, 10:20:42 AM »
Well, that didn't work, so going back to the old Kenworth Crane truck I built the cabin with.  I'm too old to buy a new truck and can use the money for other things... [ouch]

I love the Cummins engines.  Parked about 4 years and, new batteries... turn the key and started up as if it was parked yesterday.

Now to put the bed back on it and get it ready to be a welding truck again. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Offline glenn kangiser

• The Troglodyte
  • Administrator
  • Journeyman
    • Underground Cabin
« Reply #5303 on: December 26, 2016, 06:36:13 PM »
We got the truck operational again, Got Moehnin's employment authorization from DHS and have been busy working 12 hours per day for several weeks now.  We can't show pictures of our work at the Naval Air Station but here are some from a shopping center we are working on. :)

We used the crane to load materials to the roof of the Shops building.

Here my wife is welding the equipment screen wall sections together.  She is an engineer and I taught her certified welding so she can now legally work on these projects with me.

She loves to work... she loves making something she can see the results of after, and I have never had a man working with me that was as good  or at least not better, or dedicated to our work as she is.  The people we subcontract for love to see her on the job. :)

Note that this is the same crane truck I built the Underground Cabin with.  We now have a new remote control on it and it is working great.  We intend to do some updating on the cabin so I will try to get an occasional posting in here.  I have lived in the Underground Cabin nearly 15 years now and though it has it's issues, it is a cozy home for us and a great place to host our international student guests.  We love to continue doing that.

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Jemez Mountains, NM; that's pronounced HEY-mess
    • My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin
« Reply #5304 on: December 26, 2016, 07:08:06 PM »
 [cool] 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn’t mean it is good design.

If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time and money to fix it?

Offline glenn kangiser

• The Troglodyte
  • Administrator
  • Journeyman
    • Underground Cabin
« Reply #5305 on: December 26, 2016, 08:44:37 PM »
Thanks Don.  We are rather work swamped right now but hope to get some updates posted soon.  :)

Offline ben2go

« Reply #5306 on: December 27, 2016, 08:05:43 AM »
It's good to hear everything is going well. Good luck with the truck repairs and upgrades.  [cool]

Oh, and I have left social media, except a few forums.  [waiting]

Offline glenn kangiser

• The Troglodyte
  • Administrator
  • Journeyman
    • Underground Cabin
« Reply #5307 on: December 27, 2016, 08:45:56 AM »
Thanks Ben.  Next comes moving my other crane onto an International Crew cab...  I need the whole back half of the Hino including drive axle,  but front half of the International.  May be a splice job.  :) [ouch]

Offline ben2go

« Reply #5308 on: December 27, 2016, 08:51:32 AM »
Thanks Ben.  Next comes moving my other crane onto an International Crew cab...  I need the whole back half of the Hino including drive axle,  but front half of the International.  May be a splice job.  :) [ouch]

You're welcome.

Check your frames on the trucks. I recent realized that some trucks have split frames and are bolted or riveted together.  [cool]

Offline glenn kangiser

• The Troglodyte
  • Administrator
  • Journeyman
    • Underground Cabin
« Reply #5309 on: December 27, 2016, 09:35:52 PM »
Yes,  the International has that problem  d*

Offline ben2go

« Reply #5310 on: December 28, 2016, 03:46:55 PM »
Yes,  the International has that problem  d*

[cool]

Offline glenn kangiser

• The Troglodyte
  • Administrator
  • Journeyman
    • Underground Cabin
« Reply #5311 on: January 01, 2017, 11:04:43 AM »
Next project... Will be taking a while...  Switching from this

To this... 

I need the front half of the International and the back half of the Hino... So it begins... [ouch]

Offline ben2go

« Reply #5312 on: January 01, 2017, 11:12:33 AM »
Please post some detail pics. I'm curious to see the changes to the chassis. Will it be a cut and extend, or taking the entire Hino back half? Will you be keeping the Internationals rear axle? Maybe just split the two and swap back haves and keep both trucks road worthy. Maybe use the Hino as a backup truck.

Offline ben2go

« Reply #5313 on: January 01, 2017, 11:14:46 AM »
This kind of stuff gives me bad ideas.  ;D

Offline glenn kangiser

• The Troglodyte
  • Administrator
  • Journeyman
    • Underground Cabin
« Reply #5314 on: January 02, 2017, 07:50:13 AM »
Still contemplating what to do and how to do it.  The Hino engine is blown up and parts are so expensive I'd say it would be over $10000.00 for a good overhaul.  I want the crew cab.  International parts,  used engines etc are cheap.  The International differential is a light duty 2 speed.  The Hino is a very heavy duty 2 speed Spicer Axle.  The Hino will be scrap when the changes are done. On my phone now.  More details later.  :)

Offline ben2go

« Reply #5315 on: January 02, 2017, 10:25:21 AM »
Still contemplating what to do and how to do it.  The Hino engine is blown up and parts are so expensive I'd say it would be over $10000.00 for a good overhaul.  I want the crew cab.  International parts,  used engines etc are cheap.  The International differential is a light duty 2 speed.  The Hino is a very heavy duty 2 speed Spicer Axle.  The Hino will be scrap when the changes are done. On my phone now.  More details later.  :)

Ahhh. I see. Now this is making more sense to me. [cool] Hino vehicles are crazy expensive to fix. They are rare around my area.

Offline glenn kangiser

• The Troglodyte
  • Administrator
  • Journeyman
    • Underground Cabin
« Reply #5316 on: January 02, 2017, 04:16:57 PM »
In Burma, every other truck is a Hino.  Parts would be easy.  Here, very few.  That particular engine is not brought in by the importers and the only used engine was advertised by a confirmed fraud engine website on the internet, so I decided to get away from it. 

I want the large International crew cab for emergency sleeping quarters when arriving at a job late or leaving one late.  The International engine is also known to be super reliable and before 1993 California doesn"t make me smog the truck.  The International engine only has 146000 miles and should go up to 1,000,000...even less is ok.   It was just a short range use service truck. :)

Offline ben2go

« Reply #5317 on: January 03, 2017, 07:04:53 AM »
In Burma, every other truck is a Hino.  Parts would be easy.  Here, very few.  That particular engine is not brought in by the importers and the only used engine was advertised by a confirmed fraud engine website on the internet, so I decided to get away from it. 

I want the large International crew cab for emergency sleeping quarters when arriving at a job late or leaving one late.  The International engine is also known to be super reliable and before 1993 California doesn"t make me smog the truck.  The International engine only has 146000 miles and should go up to 1,000,000...even less is ok.   It was just a short range use service truck. :)

[cool]

Offline glenn kangiser

• The Troglodyte
  • Administrator
  • Journeyman
    • Underground Cabin
« Reply #5318 on: January 07, 2017, 12:44:28 PM »
Looking at this and thinking about it daily.... raining cats and dogs much of the time lately so hard to get motivated... fixed the turn signals on the International though.  As I assumed when I saw the flasher unit missing, it had been sitting in the yard for several months unused so likely got taken to fix another problem in another truck before I bought it.   [ouch]

Offline glenn kangiser

• The Troglodyte
  • Administrator
  • Journeyman
    • Underground Cabin
« Reply #5319 on: March 07, 2017, 10:04:37 PM »
Currently about the 15 year anniversary of the Underground Complex.  I started it in 2002.  Many things have changed in that period of time but one thing remains... The cabin is still standing and with some maintenance it will stand for a lot longer.  :)

As expected, there are occasional issues, especially on a year where we have gotten as much as 5 inches of rain in a day, but all in all it is still a great shelter and the price was right.  Mike Oehler (now deceased) with good reason changed his recommendation to using EPDM rubber instead of 6 mill plastic.  I fully agree.  I also recommend putting in the French drains that he suggested as optional.  Not putting them in up front is not such a good idea.  While the first few years had few problems, over the years the gophers decide to reroute some of the drainage causing some problems.  Still, it is a minor nuisance to deal with and the value as a shelter, a home overcomes the inconveniences of adding a drainage system or sump pumps.  The whole idea was to build a shelter that was not going to cost you for the rest of your life. 

All things considered, I have to judge it as a success.  This house has served dozens of international students and friends as well as family.  My wife, Moehnin and I are happy with it.  :)