30x40 Earth Berm Passive Solar in Maine

Started by Bishopknight, October 13, 2008, 09:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

The R21 batts are a good thing if you can find them. They are a denser matt than the regular and do not need to be squished in with the resultant loss one about one "R". I looked and looked around here and the only places that had them available were insulation contractors. they would not sell just the materials. They wanted the job. Except they didn't want the job when they found out where it was and what the road in was like. Catch-22 thing.  ::)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Bishopknight

Ya for 1.5 R value, it doesn't really make much sense. The price difference would be negligible.

Thanks guys.

Squirl

That is a good price.  They go for $24 a 4x8 sheet at lowes.  That puts it around $.75 a square foot, those are around $.34 a square foot.  They would cover around 288 squre feet for 1 sheet thick.  Is that enough for your walls?

Bishopknight

Monday Update:

No pics this time. Camera batteries died. Note to self: Have extras on hand next time.

Saturday morning I met Runar and Sean there to finish installing the remaining trusses and sheath the top. There was about a ft of snow on the ground and inside the house when I arrived. I used the backhoe to plow the driveway. The trusses were left at the base of the driveway because it wasn't plowed. Since they were bound together, Runar suggested we pull them up sled style since they were too heavy to carry up.

The weather during the day averaged 10 degrees on saturday and -5 on sunday morning. It was cloudy both days. There was no wind thankfully. It was quite brutal to work in.

After we scraped the ice off both top plates and marked the remaining OC markings for the trusses, we lifted them in and rested them upside down on the plates. Then we set the end gable truss using the backhoe to lift it so a 1/3 of it could slide onto the plate. Then Sean, Runar and I slid it over by hand and runar pushed it up with a tacked 30ft 2x4 while we held the corners. Once that was done, we went about setting the inside scissor trusses and braces. When we got to about 5 left, we laid the remaining trusses up against the strong side, then slid them out one at a time into place and braced and nailed them. Next we installed the fascia board on both front and back using 16' 2x6s. After that we sheathed almost the entire front side before sundown saturday ( 4pm ).

Overnight, i stayed in the cabin, using the Little Buddy Mr Heater. It was -7 degrees outside and the Mr Heater, lets say, was no buddy of mine. It couldn't keep the cabin warm, despite it being insulated. I kept it nearby and did not get much sleep, waking up multiple times. In retrospect, I should have gotten a hotel.

Next morning we got to work on the backside. I ran (what they say) *bitch* and cut and handed up the sheathing for Sean and Runar on the roof. I'd squat and boost up the 5/8 sheets of advantech up to them, and they'd swing it onto the roof. We didnt finish the end cuts but we got it 90% sheathed. I had some 6 mil black poly and we put it over 3 quarters of the roof using long scrap advantech to tack it down with 8d nails.

I raced out of there at 11:30 am as a winter blizzard was approaching ( which ended up dropping 24" last night ). It was a treacherous ride home, taking 6 hrs instead of 3, whiteout conditions at times. But in the end, I beat mother nature, almost to the last second as if she was saying, "Ok, you're out of time".

Btw, I forgot to mention, I "waffled" my left thumb pretty good and slipped on the ice, throwing out my back sat night. 

glenn kangiser

That's a great update, BK.  Sounds like you gave it your all.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

BK did you use Advantex for roof sheeting ???.  I am only familar with 3/4" in that and it is T&G. If you did you wouldn't have had to put black poly on it. 

Dog

Don't forget camera batteries next time. Priorities...You are quite insane!  ;D
The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

Bishopknight

"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success." Bruce Feirstein  ;D

Can you believe I'm thinking about going up again this weekend? I think I can probably get those windows installed now. I like what Glenn says, "You're an animal BK". Roar! ;D

John,

Yes, I went with the Advantech 5/8" square edge. I agree with you. It doesn't need the poly, but my helpers brought up a very good point. Having the poly on there will allow us to peel it off and get right to work on the roof when we come back, instead of scraping off ice and snow. Otherwise, I have no worries about waiting till spring to do the roofing.  ;D

Btw, I think this is what MaineRhino was talking about with the use of an Ice / Water shield........ especially in Maine

P.S: Here is a video MountainDon submitted about Drywall Install tips is excellent!
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=5399.0

P.S.P.S: Here is a video about Tyvek install tips
http://www.buildingmedia.com/tyvek_cd/frames.html

Redoverfarm

I read his post and I was under the assumption that he was going to use the rolled membrane 36" wide stuff.  There are two kinds.  One is a storm guard and the other ice guard.  Storm guard although it is self adhesive is NWS in my opinion. Ice guard is more like a rubber self healing.  I have used both.  Ice guard is far superior.  You might consider it on the eve portion of your roof if your pitch is less than 8/12 and you are going with shingles.

Dog

Are c* you really thinking about going up again this weekend? I guess if it's not going to snow why not...Wear a hat. I wouldn't stay in that cabin again. Bring batteries.  ;D I think insanity and genius do go hand in hand. Just don't let the insanity kill the genius. Wear a hat.
Slow down a little so you don't hurt yourself. I slammed my pinkie yesterday and that killed. careful with your thumb and back. Peace~ Can't wait to see new pics!

Bishopknight

UPDATE: Moved pictures to my photobucket account. This should work.. c*

Got the last part of the roof sheathed yesterday and also installed the tyvek, south facing windows and flashing.

Making sure my windows were properly installed was big to me. I made sure I wrapped the side & bottom Tyvek flaps inside the window. Then used 50 yr "elastomeric caulk" on the flange because it adheres to Tyvek homewrap. Then used Vycor Grace flashing and finally, as Tyvek instructs, made sure the top flap came down over the window flashing.

http://www.buildingmedia.com/tyvek_cd/frames.html

I got all the south facing windows done before I left.

glenn kangiser

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Nothing here either except where they are suppose to be with a red X in the upper left.

soomb

I see a set of windows with a ladder.  Using Firefox 3.0.5
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

HomeschoolMom

I ended up opening it in Opera.  It didn't show the pics initially but if I right clicked on the pics I could have it open the pics.

Oh, and it is looking great, BK! :)
Michelle
Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys
Married to Jason, Self Employed

Wanting an earth bermed hybrid timberframe...just need some inheritance  ;)  Will never have another mortgage again!

Bishopknight

Thank you all for the kind words  ;D I'm sorry some of you are having problems viewing my pictures.

Update: I moved the pictures over to photobucket

On a side note, I bought 8 boxes of Henry Eaveguard 195 sq ft bitumene roofing layer for $40 a box from someone on craigslist last night. From what I gathered, it was around a 30-40% savings off retail.
http://providence.craigslist.org/mat/959136353.html

Also, I just ordered the shingles, drip edge, roofing coil nails and more 2"x6"x16'ers for the gable ends. The roof is costing $1600 in materials ( 5/8 advantech sheathing not included ), $700 in labor. I bought 30 yr Architectural 3-tab shingles. I've got Runar and Sean coming Friday, Sat and Sunday. I'm renting 2 roof guns, compressors and a generator from Seans father for $100 a day on Sat/Sun. Hopefully I have good pictures on monday.  ;D

P.S: The craigslist window search continues, I found an identical window to the 4 others I bought recently. I'm picking it up tommorrow at lunch. I needed one more to compliment the remaining one I had so there'll be 2 identical ones on the (road facing) east side.

Dog

Congrats on the window and roofing purchases! Getting the good deals is part of the hunt! You must be running around like a mad man.
Looking forward to seeing those pics...  c*

MountainDon

None of the above pictiger images show on my Firefox 3.0.5 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

FrankInWI

found this whole string of posts and went through it at one sitting.  SO facinated...and I learned more again from the whole team.  Thanks SO much for taking the time to keep us updated with the dialouge and the pictures.  Oh yeh,  I can't see the recent pictures posted at all. 

I'm amazed at your determination which is resulting is a herculian effort to build this place.  My gosh, at 61 and chubby I get tired reading of your tough and determined work!
god helps those who help them selves

glenn kangiser

Bishopknight

Sunday Update:

I left at 4am friday morning to meet Sean and Runar at my place at 8am. They filled out the gable ends with 2x4's and then started sheathing it. Runar asked me to get the remaining snow and ice off the roof. I used a shovel initially, then borrowed my neighbors flame thrower/blowtorch to melt the remaining ice off the advantech. It took me 6 mind-numbing slip-worrying hrs to remove all the snow and ice off the un-protected quarter of the roof. I had 6 long hrs to think about how nice it would've been if we had tarped that area, lol.

Old pic but this is what it looked like before I started cleaning the roof off.

At night, I stayed in the cabin attic, but this time It was a fully insulated, poly'd and drywalled attic. I brought the Mr Buddy heater up there with me and kept a window cracked 2" for ventilation down below. 2 1lb propane tanks kept the attic warm ( on low ). I have R19 insulation in the attic rafters. I liken it to sleeping in a super-insulated tent. It got down below zero at night so I had to wear a hat a few times. I use a 20 degree rated Coleman Montauk sleeping bag, a comforter and some padding. I slept pretty good all weekend*.

Sean and I got the Henry Eaveguard I/W shield up on the roof late friday and we setup the staging saturday morning. Runar worked on the other gable end that day, I helped build some of the gable framing. 

Earlier today, Sean and Runar worked on roofing the rest of the front. They put me on the task of starting to roof the back via ladder since we didn't have staging that would work with those cement blocks. I got 5 course laid by the time they finished the front, allowing them to come over without staging and work right off the roof. We all worked as a team very well this weekend.

With the windchill, it was -10 this morning. We all had to take the shingles apart and lay them on the roof to heat up because they were frozen together and would rip easily. Building in the winter has its disadvantages. Shingles don't like to bend at 12 degrees, lol. We built a box out of styrofoam and sat the little buddy heater in it with a couple bundles to dethaw them. Worked pretty good.

My back is so sore right now but in the end, we got the entire roof done, minus the ridge cap which I will do next time I'm up ( as long as it doesnt snow ). The top shingles abbut (sp?) each other so water shouldnt be a problem for the time being.

*- Not as good as at home!

glenn kangiser

BK --- you are crazy to work in that weather, but that is outstanding --- a superhuman success.  Wow. :)

That is determination.

I noticed the staging brackets on the wall - can you tell us a little bit about them?