Question about addition

Started by Cedarrockcabin, February 05, 2013, 09:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedarrockcabin

We have a 16x18 addition that we are doing and I have a question about sheeting it idk if that the right term or not but we came across some t1-11 siding that is mostly cut in half (4x4) sheets can that be used in place of going and buying OSB or plywood sheets? We got this free and it's enough to do all the walls and eaves  I just don't know if you have to use a full 4x8 sheet or not, of course it will have house wrap on top of that and siding over that! Thanks!!

Redoverfarm

Biggest problem that I would see is that the full sheets offer more rigidity to your build.  It is also going to be hard to stagger the joints.

mgramann

You would definitely want to use a flashing on the horizontal joints.  One that hangs over the lower board, but is under the upper board.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: mgramann on February 05, 2013, 09:47:23 AM
You would definitely want to use a flashing on the horizontal joints.  One that hangs over the lower board, but is under the upper board.

Not real sure that would be neccessary in that they are going to use it in place of OSB sheeting.  ???  It will have house wrap and siding on top of that. 

MountainDon

John is right on not needing z strips as it was said the t1-11 would be used under the weather resistant barrier and finish siding.

Are the panels stamped as structural?  Will there be code inspection? Ask the inspector if there is.

He's also right in that 4x4 pieces will not result in as rigid a wall, but might be okay IF you nail 2x4 blocking in at all edges that do not fall directly over wall studs or plates. That will stiffen things up.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

mgramann

I should read better. ::)  I didn't realize that the t1-11 was taking the place of OSB.

MountainDon

we all do that sort of thing from time to time; easy to do    :-[
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Cedarrockcabin

Ok the rigid quality that I know I need is what I was worried about so I guess I will use it for something else. I'm not sure if its labeled structural or not but I will check thanks for all the replies I appreciate it!

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Cedarrockcabin on February 05, 2013, 07:38:15 PM
Ok the rigid quality that I know I need is what I was worried about so I guess I will use it for something else. I'm not sure if its labeled structural or not but I will check thanks for all the replies I appreciate it!

I doubt that regular OSB is structural either.  I have been using some 1/2 -5/8" for some storage subfloor.  It is stamped  "Non structural".  If you use the blocking between the studs as Don stated you will be tying the two halves together more or less.  A lot more work installing the blocks and the material but what you are spending on them you will be saving on the sheeting.