12 x 24 floorplan?

Started by jbos333, January 26, 2009, 09:35:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbos333

Hi all....just wondering if anyone out there knows of an ingenious 12x24 floor plan that I might be able to incorporate into an existing 24x24 building....just the essentials, obviously, but something I could leave in place and expand upon later on when or if necessary (just 1 or sometimes 2 people now)..I am envisioning "walling off" 1/2 of the building, leaving 1 garage bay for tractor, toys etc.
This is like a "camp" but something I could stay in full time if needed/wanted.

lobster

many different floorplans here, all 12 feet wide, various lengths:
http://www.cavcoparkhomes.com/cabins/default.asp

MountainDon

Maybe I'm not understanding the question.  ??? I interpret it as you wish to add 12x24 onto an existing 24x24 structure. Correct?  And you ask for a floor plan. The way my mind grasps this is, what do you need in this floor plan, since there already is a 24x24. Are cooking facilities required, and so on?

What may be ingenious to one may be an anathema to others. Case in point; I don't like climbing ladders to lofts.

So I think we need a little better explanation of your expectations.

John's Little House plans are excellent to begin with. The purchaser may freely change them and copy them for their own uses, which in the plan world is unique. Maybe you don't even need interior walls in something this size? We didn't, except for the bathroom.

http://www.jshow.com/y2k/listings/29.html

All John's pans are here:
http://www.countryplans.com/plans.html

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

jbos333

Thanks for the link, lobster. That is kinda what I was looking for, compact kitchen/bath areas. I will look at it further, for sure.

MountainDon, actually the scenario is this. I already have the 24x24 building w/concrete floor. It is about 12 yrs. old. It is an Amish built, post-on pier rough cut hemlock sided, 12' wide sliding door on one end. I have 200 amp electric service I just put in last year. This is on approx 80 acres of beautiful land w/about 5 acres of water area, paid for. The building is tucked back off the (dirt/dead end) road about 350 feet.

If I had unlimited (or maybe just more) resources, I would construct a new building a bit further in (about another 500-600 feet) which would be on the more "hilly" bank of the larger pond with a good view. But, alas, I need to go low budget at least for now. So I am looking to have a 12x24 living quarters within the existing structure. It's possible I could have a low headroom sleeping loft above the entire first floor if I want to put in the additional floor joists and support posts.

And, the biggie is if I'm not living in it full time, I don't want to/can't pay the additional ridiculous New York State Taxes! The neighbor next door on about 70 acres. built a 2100 Sq. Ft. "cabin" about 8 yrs. ago, his taxes are 6500.00/year! And he doesn't live there! That is compared to my 1500/yr taxes as "Unimproved" i.e. no permanent residence. I am jealous of many of you who pay taxes in the 100's a year not 1000's!

MountainDon

Oh! A building in a building. So does this 12x24 need a regular pitched roof, weatherproof and all. Pardon me if I'm a bit slow catching on to what you have and want to do.  The 24x24 is not used for anything? Is it closed in?  ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

jbos333

Don, the  existing building is fully enclosed, metal roof concrete floor but not sealed very well or insulated. It is used to store a lawn tractor, golf cart, paddleboat and various tools. So I was thinking I could maybe "stud in" and insulate the 1/2 without the door opening, leaving the other 1/2 for all the "stuff" that is currently in there. Kinda like a mini efficiency apartment within the existing building. BTW, I am enjoying the updates on your place as well as everyone elses. Always a lot of new ideas on here....

MountainDon

Well, now I understand perfectly well what's going on.  :)  Sounds like a good idea. Maybe if it's hidden inside the improvements will go unnoticed by the tax man.

jbos333

Yes, Don, I don't like the tax man. I don't know him, but I still don't like him.

glenn kangiser

Keep in mind that the assessor never, never , never has authority to enter your private property without your permission and a building inspector only if he has a warrant signed by a judge - possibly a Federal one-, detailing how you are damaging the public and specifically what he expects to find on your property that is doing that, if you have not taken out a permit signing away your rights and authorizing his entry to your private property.

That is not to say they are aware of or will follow the law.  Maybe you can teach them - research it well.

Just information on private property - whether it is to your advantage to use that information is up to you.  I don't remember where I read all of that - possibly http://www.landrights.com/  or

http://teamlaw.org/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

bayview

Messed around with this before I came up with my current cabin plan.  Went with 16 X 20.

Kitchen, Dining, Bath, Storage, Pantry, Hideabed . . .

. . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

jbos333

bayviewps, thanks for that plan, it looks like I could use it for a few ideas anyway. I like the (what looks to be) larger shower stall. I have a 32 x 32 ish one in a second bath at "home" and its kind of annoying to use- cramped. I'm now gonna look at your blog...