Site built truss assembly?

Started by TarMetto, January 17, 2017, 10:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TarMetto

In an effort to simplify my DIY...by myself build...I've been studying the truss plans. Trying to figure out how I can do this by myself.

Would it be feasible to build the truss from the bottom up? In other words...assemble the interior 2x6's and the attic joists first (I'd lengthen the
14" gussets to 18" or better to strengthen the tie at that joint) and install those assemblies first. Then finish the truss assembly by adding the top
2x6's and ridge gussets as drawn.....or....add a continuous ridge board and finish the assembly as you would rafters.

The idea just seems like it would make life "by myself" easier.

Any reason why this couldn't be done?

kenhill

We framed the house and then on the second floor with the pony wall, we laid out a jig to create the trusses for the 20x30 1 1/2.  Created all the trusses and started to set them up in the same day with my 13 and 16 year old sons.  Had all the plywood "stiffeners?" precut and ready to liquid nail and nail.

TarMetto

Quote from: kenhill on January 17, 2017, 01:30:44 PM
We framed the house and then on the second floor with the pony wall, we laid out a jig to create the trusses for the 20x30 1 1/2.  Created all the trusses and started to set them up in the same day with my 13 and 16 year old sons.  Had all the plywood "stiffeners?" precut and ready to liquid nail and nail.

That's the way I had planned to do it....but it's looking more and more like it will be just me and the wife tackling this.
She can't lift much weight. I think I could lift and place the lower half as an assembly, and easily handle the 16 footers that would go on top.

Did you build 10' balloon walls or 12'?

kenhill

Wall height is whatever the plans called for.  It has been 10 years since we built them.  We would build at one end of the cabin and stack them at the other end.  When all made, we then set them up at the opposite end of where they were stacked.  We used purlins and used them to tack them into place.

Don_P

Our real job is to outsmart inanimate objects and gravity

Don't get me wrong, the girl in that pic could hang both of us up on a coatrack but the truss timbers there are 8x10s, it stands 25 feet tall and equally wide. Grunt isn't the only way. The two of us built and raised that by hand. Rigging is all in a days work. When lifting, putting her in front of you where she can't see what you're up to and choking up on your end of the beam will level the lifting difference. A horse will only fail once, it's your job to make sure he doesn't fail. People aren't a whole lot different.

Your local truss plant can make a stronger, better, lighter truss, and I'd bet it is cheaper too.

John Raabe

I agree with Don. For a single person it cuts down the weight and lifting to have trusses made locally and lifted off the truck and delivered up to the 2nd level.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

TarMetto

I'm kinda stuck on the original truss design, I like it. Just thought it would help to build as I described, the notches would help locate the truss.
Then, the gussets would do the same for locating/holding the upper boards.

I think I'll build one, as drawn, and see how much it weighs and how I feel about lifting it.
We're going with 12' walls, so the cross tie will be lower and longer.

Rys

I've seen a couple of builds on here that use parallel scissor trusses. I think that's what we're going with.
That way I'll still have the feel of cathedral ceilings but I think they'll be easier for my husband and I to handle.