20x30 1.5 Story Loft Floor Ledger Question

Started by Gladey, August 06, 2016, 01:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gladey

Long time lurker here. I purchased the 20x30 1.5 story plans a few years ago and we're finally planning to start our building next spring, so I've been pouring over the plans ands construction books. An intimidating part of the framing for me if the let-in ledger for the loft. Anyone care to share tips on accurately notching the loft floor ledger into the wall studs, or structurally-sound methods of avoiding the need to notch the ledger in?

John Raabe

An easy way to avoid the notched ledger is to platform frame the wall studs - Put the loft floor joists on top of the main floor wall studs and sheath the loft floor just as you did the main floor. You then should have the roof framed with locally engineered trusses to lock the loads so they do not push outward on the walls. The truss company will design for your snow load as well. Another advantage is you can adjust the knee wall height to give more headroom in the loft should you choose. Check with the truss company.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Rys

I'm not sure I follow? Do you mean frame the knee wall on top of the first floor decking?

Don_P

Platform framing is a floor system with a wall sitting on the floor. Then in this case, a second floor with a kneewall on top of that. This is well fireblocked but has no lateral restraint of the kneewall. There is no problem with that, it is no different than any other second story in that regard. However, the rafters need to be restrained or supported to keep them from spreading and pushing the kneewalls out. Even with the notched in ledger this is still a concern. There are several pretty simple ways to accomplish the support or restraint.

If the kneewalls are tall enough that a ceiling joist/rafter tie can be installed across the rafters in the lower third of roof height, that works as conventional framing.

A ridge Beam that can support the rafters from their tops... if they are hanging from a ridge that cannot sag then they can not spread. The feet of the hanging rafters deliver load to the kneewalls vertically. Sizing and supporting the beam takes thought.

A wall under the ridge does the same thing as the beam.

Trusses are probably the simplest solution, let their engineer's design the roof. A cantilevered attic truss might work at that width off of 8' walls. If so, that could provide loft floor and roof in one go.

member PEG had a good tutorial on notching ledgers a few years ago. It is a good skill to learn

kenhill

We nailed a 2x6 to the floor and stacked all of the studs vertically with the bottoms pushed to the 2x6 nailed to the floor.  Draw your line on the studs and run a circular saw several times in the area to be notched out.  Then use a chisel to remove the remaining material in the notch area.

Gladey

Thanks for the guidance. It is very much appreciated!