16x32 four foot knee wall in ky

Started by Leo, March 26, 2007, 11:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo

I cleared the land and built it in 14 weeks of work hot water plumbing in and 3/4 of second floor.i like the design will post more photos later have hundreds i documented the whole thing on film.I was give a nice Canadian  made stove that is perfect for it.I want narrow deck three sides and wider one on the front looking toward lake down the path

glenn-k

Looks like you braced the posts pretty good.  Nice cliffs and lake. :)

Leo

the four corner piers are almost 4' deep galvanized lags with washers there are pt 2x10 below the beams going to the post on the back lag bolted this really stiffened it up.the windows are on sight having working plumbing and a hot water shower was a day I wont forget. started clearing tree august 05 this was one year to the week later.    Next the charcoal colored metal roof. wanting to put the winder stairs and wood stove in the middle isnt resolved.temporary steep stairs now.the view of the water from on top of the roof is great .I want a widows walk or glass coupola big enough to seat two.say 4 or feet wide.I also see it as good ventilation with slider windows ,a trap door and ladder going up.a bench along the opposite side and two shelves big enough to sit things on red cedar molding outside. all syp t1 11 painted or stained a avocado green.forget gutters to many trees the narrow deck all around to break and divert rain. On the water side a screened in sleeping porch was planned

jwv

Leo

south fork Cumberland river/lake south central

Leo

QuoteWhereabouts in KY are you?

Judy
the best part  fo courseSW somerset 20 minutes  or less why?

jwv

Grew up in So Ohio, have very dear friends from Corbin, family in Dry Ridge (so of Forence), camped at Levi Jackson a long time ago but have great memories and have made that I-75 trip to the Smokies many times.

Pictures looked like home.

Judy

Leo

To Me it looks like home the blue ridge.on or before June 1 I will be there all summer to work on it windows etc etc materials there to keep Me busy all summer.I want it winterized By summers end. wood with electric back up.

natureday

That is really nice.
Myhusband just recntly built a cabin in Eastern WA.
Here is some pictures of it: http://www.fastbrite.com/page7.html
It is about 4 hours from oak Harbor.

glenn-k

Welcome to the forum, Natureday.  Nice cabin.

Leo

Looks good Nature day,now you can enjoy it.I can tell you i like the process a pain at times but rewarding?

ellbaker

How much is lake front land there?

jwv

QuoteWelcome to the forum, Natureday.  Nice cabin.

and the babies are pretty too!

Judy

peg_688

It is about 4 hours from oak Harbor.

Oak Harbor  is 4 hours from every place isn't it :-/ :-/ Are you in / from OH??

Leo

Elb there is no lake front army corps of engineers owns a buffer zone from 100 to 600 feet  lake view 35 too 250 grand

littlegirlgo

Great cabin. The Cumberland area is beautiful. I am farther north in Pendleton County, KY. I started my cabin last week over spring break. Got the piers in.

Leo

once the piers,post and beams were done progress moved quickly,just having a level surface to work from.Southern yellow hard pine can be had there from a big box store for the same price as mixed 2x10  and 2x12 a bargain. what size are you building.?

Leo

My cabins floor framed  at 32 long winter was closing in so 1walled off 16feet and used the only osb was a temporary wall allowing living quarters  tool storage top and bottom plates were left long  as was the plywood roof staggerd to tie all in.it worked well I also noticed i could live comfortably in a 16x16 with  high knee wall second floor and how little it took to heat or cool.at 32' if the wood stove is centered so at any point you're with in 15 feet of the stove.   by having a door at the bottom of closed in stairs heat can be better controled. a back door 8feet from the stove should keep the mess to a small area. wood  sliding louvers in second floor For better control.no interior walls except bathroom to eliminate air flow.  I love burning wood its freeiwas give the perfect stove in new condition as the new owners didn't want it.i think i might have the ?BUG i wannna build another one,when this one is done.

littlegirlgo

I am going 20x30 , one floor. Next year I will add on. I was originally going to do two floors but my budget is shrinking  :P Seems better to work in stages.
What type of wood stove did you get? I am planning to go with wood also.  Plus a small lp heater in case we are gone for a weekend and need to keep the pipes warm.

Leo

I haven't found out yet it was made Ontario is fire brick lined welded 3/16 and 1/4' steel with a door in front glass medium size.thinking electric back up.