Stove location

Started by APG, January 09, 2007, 11:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

APG

Is there a method or formula for picking the best location for a wood  stove in the 20 x 30 1 1/2 story model?  What is the correct and incorrect way of placing your backwoods/hillbilly heating system? :)  

Thanks

glenn-k

Central is probably best but that doesn't always work out to the little woman's furnishing/decorative scheme.  Chimney exit placement has to be considered also and may be a determining factor in stove location.  Snow should be considered and in snow areas it it best if the chimney exits near or on the peak of the house to prevent it's removal by sliding snow and ice.

Ductwork and a plenum under the stove and possibly under crawlspaces, can be used to draw cold air from the other side of the house or another room and in turn pull the heated air from the stove into the back rooms. :)

Unlisted stoves used to be limited to 3' from combustible walls etc.  I don't even know if they allow them now or not as I sometimes forget to check.  I haven't checked the code out in years.  The code books cost way too much money for most people to have them.  You would think our public servants would make the information available reasonably and affordably, wouldn't you?  Some stuff is available online if you look hard enough.

Freeholdfarm

This little woman plans structural stuff first, then the furnishing and decorative scheme get worked out around the structural stuff!   ;)

Any house I design that has a wood stove in it (pretty much all of them) has it as centrally located as possible, in order to heat the house evenly.  I've lived in a house that had a wood stove in the living room, at the front of the house, and it was only possible to heat the living room and adjacent bedroom that way.  All the rest of the house was cold, including a bedroom and the bathroom at the back of the house.  

For a small house, my favorite layout is with a bedroom in each north corner, the bath/laundry/pantry in the middle, and the kitchen/dining/living area on the south side of the house.  The wood stove/masonry stove goes a little east of the center of the north wall of the main living area, so it's accessible to the kitchen for cooking.  Pretty simple, works great.

Kathleen

glenn-k

Way to go, Kathleen. :-/  Oh, I just remembered-- I think that was an old hippy saying. :)

Sassy

Glenn said
QuoteWay to go, Kathleen.    Oh, I just remembered-- I think that was an old hippy saying.  :)

Right on!  I think "way to go" was either before or after the hippy era  :-/

MountainDon

QuoteThe code books cost way too much money for most people to have them.  You would think our public servants would make the information available reasonably and affordably, wouldn't you?  Some stuff is available online if you look hard enough.

I use my local public library for the code books. They always seem to have the recent editions and they are always there because they are for in-library reference use only. They're kinda hard to read through; referring from one section to another with all the if-this-then-that stuff.

MountainDon

Unlisted stoves used to be limited to 3' from combustible walls etc.  I don't even know if they allow them now or not

There are ways to reduce the combustible clearnace on an unlisted stove. It entails using a non combustible spaced out from the combustible wall with a one inch air space; must have a space at the bottom and top for air to circulate.

http://muextension.missouri.edu/xplor/agguides/agengin/g01730.htm

And as Glenn mentioned if you can place the chimney near the roof peak you can avoid a lot of problems with snow slides and the need for a lot of exterior pipe to get the cap high enough above the peak (for good draft)

Freeholdfarm

Thanks for the suggestion to look at the library for the code books.  The people at the building department have gotten a little huffy a couple of times with my mom and me for asking code questions about the garage we are building -- they give a few basics in a handout, but expect us to know the rest of it off the top of our heads, I guess.  Nobody there ever suggested checking at the library for a code book!

Kathleen

glenn-k

You might ask them if it is true that they are public servants ---then remind them to act like it.

Shut up, Glenn :-/