Lumber Liquidators utility flooring

Started by Jared, January 07, 2007, 10:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared

These guys sell utility grade oak flooring at .89/sf. Their web site says "will have defects, knots, open knots, missing tongues, machine burns, splits in the wood and short pieces (12"-8"). This product comes in square edge or v-groove and may be mixed product." Would this even be worth considering? If a person got enough good pieces to make it worth their while? Or is it just too expensive of a crap shoot?
Jared

desdawg

I don't know what oak flooring usually sells for so it is hard for me to say. Judging from the description it may take a lot of work to make it look good. Personally I would prefer to see what I was getting before I committed on something like that.

glenn-k

I agree with desdawg.  

Our fairly nice Pine 1x5 planed t&g made locally by a small sawmill here is
$2.00 per square foot.

Amanda_931

They do have stores in most states.

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/storelocator/store_locator.jsp

If that's not a web-only special you might be able to at least have a clue what you are buying.

But if there's a saw-on-spec mill with a dry kiln (one of those near me burned recently) local would be nice.

John_M

I have had great luck with a local Amish Mill.  Very reasonable prices and superior quality!!  Not sure where you live.  May be worth looking into.