Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

That is great.  I have the 12 charger and inverter.  I got the solar battery pack from Amazon to keep 2 charges stored in it plus it will recharge the battery pack over the day from solar for when I am hiking away from any other power supply.  There are lots of varying qualities.

I found the 4000ma one to be the best solar charge rate with reasonable storage for a great price.  Happy with it.   :)

Also the Note 2 has a larger battery... 3100mah compared to 2500 in the Note 1.  I could run it down with heavy normal use. [ouch]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Windpower

Glenn, glad Sassy is doing well

Those oysters sound wonderful --- I think I will try some -- we get some oysters here from WA -- not sure the brand -- I get the Medium -- they are 2 to 3 inches and sooo good

I usually saute them with some butter and garlic and a little pepper then throw in some white wine to make a sauce -- pour that over some pasta  with some pesto

MMMMMMMmmmmmmmMMMMM

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

Redoverfarm

You mean there is some other way to fix Oysters other than "on the half shell".   ;)

Sassy

Hey guys, thanks for the well-wishes.  Hadn't got on my computer since going to the hospital.  When I tried last night there were updates & the computer rebooted - my screen was black, it said something about a corrupted file, nothing  [noidea'  I turned it off a couple times but nothing.  Told Glenn about it.  He had to come to the valley to get a different sized chip in his new phone & brought me down some more supplies. 

We ended up eating at Sizzler's - had the salad bar.  Got back to my sister's place & he looked at my computer - took out a cd I still had in it (I'd thought about doing this) rebooted the computer - like new!!!  Whatdaya know...  a cd or dvd can have its own little start up program & that's what my computer tried to start with...  all ready to go now!  Thanks for the help  :) 

BTW, I am feeling FANTASTIC!!!!  It is so unbelievable - I feel soooo good - would never in a million years thought I'd be doing so great so so - in fact, my pain has been minimal, I've been walking w/out a walker or cane pretty much since I got home from the hospital.  Thanks for all your thoughts & prayers  :)  I am overjoyed! 

It was so funny when I asked the med tech how soon I could ride the stationary bike or walk of the treadmill...  she didn't answer me for a few seconds & then said "you just had surgery, it hasn't even been a whole week!"  She told me to do the exercises they had given me instructions for & let my hip heal, for crying out loud - lol!  Today I called back for my f/u appt & asked if I could drive - she told me as long as I wasn't on pain medication & was able to do it, go for it!

My God & my doctor are the greatest!  I'm not even afraid now to have the other one done.
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

There you have it... :)

Isn't that cool.   [cool]

Quote from: Windpower on December 04, 2012, 07:46:34 PM
Glenn, glad Sassy is doing well

Those oysters sound wonderful --- I think I will try some -- we get some oysters here from WA -- not sure the brand -- I get the Medium -- they are 2 to 3 inches and sooo good

I usually saute them with some butter and garlic and a little pepper then throw in some white wine to make a sauce -- pour that over some pasta  with some pesto

MMMMMMMmmmmmmmMMMMM

Now you are making me want to go get some more, Windpower...... [ouch]

Quote from: Redoverfarm on December 04, 2012, 07:50:58 PM
You mean there is some other way to fix Oysters other than "on the half shell".   ;)

Do you cook them or just slip them down raw, John? 

... at any rate.. I like the way I eat them...  ;D

Got my Samsung Note II yesterday - couldn't wait so I chased down the UPS lady and got it at noon.   What a beautiful little Computer/Phone.  I like it.

It takes a Micro Sim card rather than the standard Sim.....so had to go to the valley to get that.  Took some more stuff to Sassy and took her to dinner. She didn't have to bring a cane along and was able to get into the truck two out of three times without a boost up....  ::)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

glenn kangiser

Ohhhhh maannn.... [scared]

I'm afraid I would ralph if I did that......:barf

ben2go

Quote from: Sassy on December 05, 2012, 02:00:33 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the well-wishes.  Hadn't got on my computer since going to the hospital.  When I tried last night there were updates & the computer rebooted - my screen was black, it said something about a corrupted file, nothing  [noidea'  I turned it off a couple times but nothing.  Told Glenn about it.  He had to come to the valley to get a different sized chip in his new phone & brought me down some more supplies. 

We ended up eating at Sizzler's - had the salad bar.  Got back to my sister's place & he looked at my computer - took out a cd I still had in it (I'd thought about doing this) rebooted the computer - like new!!!  Whatdaya know...  a cd or dvd can have its own little start up program & that's what my computer tried to start with...  all ready to go now!  Thanks for the help  :) 

BTW, I am feeling FANTASTIC!!!!  It is so unbelievable - I feel soooo good - would never in a million years thought I'd be doing so great so so - in fact, my pain has been minimal, I've been walking w/out a walker or cane pretty much since I got home from the hospital.  Thanks for all your thoughts & prayers  :)  I am overjoyed! 

It was so funny when I asked the med tech how soon I could ride the stationary bike or walk of the treadmill...  she didn't answer me for a few seconds & then said "you just had surgery, it hasn't even been a whole week!"  She told me to do the exercises they had given me instructions for & let my hip heal, for crying out loud - lol!  Today I called back for my f/u appt & asked if I could drive - she told me as long as I wasn't on pain medication & was able to do it, go for it!

My God & my doctor are the greatest!  I'm not even afraid now to have the other one done.

[cool] good to hear you are feeling better and able to get around.

Sassy

Thanks, ben2ogo! 

Now if someone forced me to eat those awful oysters...  I think that would put me back in bed for at least a week - especially the way Red eats them [yuk]

We were in New Orleans for one of my conferences & sitting at a sports bar - it was a micro-brewery in the French Quarter - watched this big bartender shuck several burlap sacks full of fresh oysters, rinse them off, place them back in the shells & give a plateful of them to customer after customer - they just let them sliiiiiiiiide...   'bout made me sick, figured the only way they must have been able to do that is they'd drunk a lot of beer  [rofl2]

Redoverfarm

Sassy that is the way I learned to eat them.  Maybe the first time I might have been over the edge a little.    [crz]  Nothing compares now.  I usually don't like to masquerade my food.  Just like dumping a pile of A1 on a good steak.  I do add a few shakes of pepper but heck I do that to everything I eat.  No one has ever shown that pepper hurts you like salt.  In fact they say that pepper is good for ya.

Sassy

[hungry]I'm with you on the pepper - if it ain't "blackened" it ain't peppered"   [hungry] 

Believe me, I've tried to like oysters - after 18 yrs of Christmas Eve & oyster stew...  and yes, we had to eat at least a small bowl...  it's bad enough I don't like oysters, but I don't like the taste of milk either!  A tradition for my parents that they tried to pass down...  we just have fun rehashing the pain of it all & laughing about it  :)

PEG688

Great news Sassy, :)    BUT don't over do it!  Steady as you go!  [cool]
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Sassy

Thanks, PEG!  I feel like I'm being lazy, but guess that will have to do...  walked around the culdesac today between the rains.  Walked in the house quite a bit.  Went to a Bible study at my sis & BIL's church tonight.  The pastor from my church in Merced came for another visit today.  So many social engagements, lol.

glenn kangiser

Social Butterfly... you must remember to take it easy.... [idea]

Beautiful day here... finally after the rains... I feel sorry for those poor souls down in the valley under the layer of fog... OHHHhhh ..... Sorry about that Sassy...

Tomatoes have been sitting a bit since I picked them about a week ago from the garden... cleaned them up and sent the bad ones to the chickens and made Stewed Tomatoes with Basil and a bit of butter... a bit of Tajin Classico and Tarragon tossed in to liven it up... yum... [hungry]

The chickens love the corn cobs and other things left over from the Elote... sprayed it with EM to keep them healthy.... such good little chickens.... :)

Breakfast of Champions?

.. [waiting]

mtman

Man that's great to hear Sassy is doing so well!! Unreal what can be done nowdays. Sassy you go girl!! :) :
Now Glenn, stop showing off the cooking skills, people will think you are showing off! Besides its making me hungry. :D

mountainlady1956

Sassy,
Happy to hear you are doing so well. Wish I could have had that "minimally invasive" procedure  :( I can say though that getting new hips has significantly changed my quality of life for the better. No more pain. I totally followed orders which can be a little challenging for those in the medical profession ;D Keep up the good work [cool]
Cathy

ben2go

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 06, 2012, 01:09:34 PM
Social Butterfly... you must remember to take it easy.... [idea]

Beautiful day here... finally after the rains... I feel sorry for those poor souls down in the valley under the layer of fog... OHHHhhh ..... Sorry about that Sassy...

Tomatoes have been sitting a bit since I picked them about a week ago from the garden... cleaned them up and sent the bad ones to the chickens and made Stewed Tomatoes with Basil and a bit of butter... a bit of Tajin Classico and Tarragon tossed in to liven it up... yum... [hungry]

The chickens love the corn cobs and other things left over from the Elote... sprayed it with EM to keep them healthy.... such good little chickens.... :)

Breakfast of Champions?

.. [waiting]

Nummies!   [hungry]

glenn kangiser

Yup.. She's doing great mountainlady1956 and mtman....as long as we can keep her calmed down.... [waiting]

She was possibly going to try driving today.  Her car seat and pedals will adjust to her optimum position and she is doing better than she was before the operation.  I think if she was OK to drive then, she will be at least that good now... likely better.

It's all good, Ben.... [hungry]

....Ummmm the cooking.... I am a bit of a decent cook if I do have to say so myself.... I like good food so cook what tastes good..... Makes me not want to buy steaks at a restaurant if theirs are not as good as mine... but that is not really possible for them,  so I usually order something else.... [ouch]

Made some cheese biscuits tonight -found a couple packages from 2008.  Thought I would try them........Bisquick is forever I think....they were just fine... tastes great, then had more of the same tonight because it is just good... fresh stewed tomatoes and Elote... :)

Sassy

A friend from the mtns came down to the valley for a visit.  I said I was gong to try driving - didn't ask if she wanted to ride along, didn't want to put her on the spot...  anyway, she said "can I come along?"  We ended up going shopping, I showed her my parent's place & we walked around the culdesac a few times.  Had no problem getting in & out of the car - it used to be difficult - now it was a breeze.  Wow, I am so happy!

BTW, our clouds/fog visited Glenn shortly after that picture  ::) 

glenn kangiser

That is great about the driving, Sassy.... I knew you could do it.... [idea]

...but would you please keep your fog to yourself.... [waiting]

..dang it...... Google just put an Oyster Bar add at the top of my page.. now I gotta go buy more oysters.... [ouch]

I am so influenced by propaganda....... [noidea'

glenn kangiser

Welded up my buddies backhoe loader bucket frame this morning... soon I get to use it ...after he brings the tire back.  [ouch]

....and

While waiting for him I made some more Ice Cream... from a Pati'sMexicanTable recipe and modified slightly...

Avocado and Coconut Ice Cream with coconut added to the mix rather than just toasted and put on top.. and I had a few bananas getting past their prime, so I mixed them with Coconut Almond milk and pureed them then added them to the mix....and ... Oh yeah... the local store doesn't carry plain Coconut milk so I had to substitute Almond/Coconut.  Should be good though...   [noidea'

I just can't eat squishy bananas... might make me Ralph..... These weren't that bad yet but they were on their way.

SOooooo......what do you think?    [waiting]

ben2go

glenn kangiser

Reminds me of Split Pea Soup.... I hope it doesn't affect me the same way... :)

I ate a bit .... not too bad..... Like eating an avocado with coconut and sugar on it.... [waiting]

glenn kangiser

Backhoe tire will be here soon.  Getting ready to start digging down in the hugelkultur bed for water storage under it - just breaking up the clay and rocks will allow water to penetrate and store under the ground at least to a much greater extent than it has for thousands of years. 

I have noted trees near my excavations have doubled in size over the last ten years.  Garden areas on terraces began to produce grass that was over three feet tall where I re-stacked the earth building the terraces.  Areas in the flat which were only clay were pretty barren.  This is an attempt to do as Paul Wheaton suggested earlier this fall.  I am hoping to dig the terrace deep, then haul in loads of wood, trees and brush to store water in the hugel bed for use in the summer reducing irrigation needs. 

I have noted currently that the beds I made before which are flat but have up to 2 1/2 feet of brush and logs under them need only about 1/2 the water the rest of the garden needs.  Paul would like to see that increase to needing no irrigation at all.  I wonder if that is possible? [noidea'

He would like to see 8 feet of wood under the garden.  Well.... that would decrease the distance you would fall from above the terrace to a point where you may not die or break an arm anyway.... [waiting]

glenn kangiser

Well.... I got the deed done... maybe time for a little more tomorrow.... :)

Nice... my buddy let me use his Case 590 Super L......

This trench takes the bottom down about 3 to 4 feet below the old surface plus the 2 to 3 foot high burm I put next to the trees.  My plan now is to fill the 3 foot wide ditch with logs, brush and chips along with some layers of soil.  I will continue to fill, heaping it up until I get the 8 feet Paul was wanting to see..... I mean ..  if he wants to see it then there must be a good reason so I guess I want to see it too.  [noidea'

He has worked quite a bit with Sepp Holzer and has been learning from him, so if he gives me some advise, I think I would be wise to at least give it a good try.  Paul is hoping to see a successful hugelkultur bed with no added irrigation and he says they have done it successfully in the desert also.  [cool]

..... just one thing though... with our Mediterranean Climate we have 6 to 8 months with little to no rain so it is a pretty big bill to fill.  I will be happy if I can just get by with using way less water.  Even that would be an improvement. Don't expect me to get it done immediately... may take a while... a few weeks.... months... or years.... I live on Mariposa time....  [waiting]