Icosa Project...

Started by Kris, March 19, 2010, 09:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kris

first time post here,,so hopefully the photos will work...

I have really enjoyed this site and thought i would share what i am tinkering on....I am building a small cabin in 2 parts..the first part is the icosa dome room and then will be attached to a more typical structure. The icosa is being built beside my house and then i will move it to the site...

the second part of the cabin is still being designed.

ok,,some photos of the basic frame....
I am using starplate connectors with preset angles..

it looks like the photos is working so i will post 2 more..

the next is the actual base.

and this is where i am at as of yesterday....project is on hold till this snow goes away again.....

glenn kangiser

w* to the forum, Kris.   Thanks for sharing your project and and we will be looking forward to more pix as you progress.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Ditto what Glenn said.   w*

ScottA

w*

Interesting project. I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Kris

i am also interested in how it will turn out,,..
it is an experiment..
i think putting windows in will be interesting,....

i will keep posting more pictures in the future....my project might be on hold till the sunshine comes back,,looks like more snow this week..

Question:{for whomever knows the answer} 
I plan on insulating the floor in the future..i am going to have a crawl space...do i need to put a vapour barrier in???  the crawl space will be about 2ft high and most likely skirted sides... i saw a link on the web about laying a vapour barrier right on the ground..does that make any sense. ??

Redoverfarm

If you are going to close it in by a skirting by all means.  I would also add a couple of vents in the skirting.  They make those which open and close by the temperature so you do not have to manually do it when the climate changed. 

speedfunk

[cool]

[cool]

it does seem that windows will be "interesting" as you put it

thanks for sharing with us. Looks like a neat project!!
Jeff

Kris

ok,,,so it was nice out and i was able to work on the floor...it used 4 sheets of plywood, with little left over.. i added some extra strength between the joists...the floor seems nice and sturdy.....
then i put the side walls back on, secured it to the floor base and then mounted the roof frame.  now it is ready for the door function....and then onto adding extra struts in the walls and roof.
i need to hunt for windows now.

i also attached a photo of the final location.

speedfunk

That will look really cool on that landscape.  Where is the site that your building.. the land looks awesome. 

Kris

the final location for the project will be along the north saskatchewan river...looking to the west...

NM_Shooter

That's interesting looking.  How do you put siding on something like that?
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Kris

i havent put siding on yet, so i dont know,,ha ha....from what i can tell, it's like most any other project, with the recommendation  of cove molding at the corners...i will post more when i get there....

i do have a foundation question..

the area i am building in is well drained, sandy and rocky..

i am considering using railway ties, since i have a bunch of them..  i am thinking about using 4 foot railway ties and sink them 2 ft. the other 2 feet would stick above ground and i could continue working off of that.
the final building will be skirted

does anyone have any thoughts on this..

Pine Cone

The bottom of the RR ties should be below the frost line.  When I see the words "north saskatchewan river" it leads me to think the RR ties might need to be in deeper than just 24"

Your other option would be to build on skids of some sort, but the building might move around a bit when the soil freezes.

Interesting project...  Keep those pictures coming!

MountainDon

I'm a native of Winnipeg, Manitoba. A few years ago I spent 6 weeks there building a large deck and addition at by sister's. The city rules called for a 6 foot deep pier.  So either do that or build it on a nice sturdy skid set and be prepared to jack and shim as necessary.

My shed in the Jemez is built on 6x6 PT timber skids. It moves a little as the ground freezes and then thaws. I built it with enough clearance around the door though. As well I built the door like a gate and placed a diagonal tension rod with turnbuckle corner to corner. That gives me a little adjustment. However I was not worrying about having a perfect weather seal.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Kris

well...more stuff to think about.... i am still leaning towards using railway ties, and if i do i could easily sink them 6ft and that still leaves 2 feet sticking out of the ground....the frost line is usually around 4ft here..and once again i am in a very sandy and rocky area,,,none of that black rich soil to worry about....

i have been looking at those sono tubes and some concrete options.  does anyone have a rough price estimate for making a 8 or 10 inch wide /6ft deep concrete tube pier..???   i saw the basic tubes at home depot for around 10.00...{the super fancy ones were around $50/60.00..i wont be using those}

MountainDon

A cylinder with radius r units and height h units has a volume of V cubic units given by

OR online calculator
http://www.referencedesigner.com/calc/cal_07.php

QUIKRETE
80# = .60 cu ft
60# = .45 cu ft
40# = .30 cu ft

That should help you do the calculations
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Kris

Redoverfarm

Kris your sono tubes only need to be above ground.  The concrete in the hole is self supported.  I would put them at least 6" below the surface and anchor them where they will be.  That is providing that you dig or auger a fairly uniform hole.

Kris

thanks everyone for the input....i am still not completely settled on how i should do my foundation.. some of the other river dwellers have been telling me to just build it on skids since the building is so small and it has no amenities. the brother in-law {architect in training} also figured i should do a skid for this project....

so if you had to choose between building off a skid, or building off of deck piers, which would you choose........??????????

as for the project,, now i am on the hunt for windows.

thanks again everyone,,and i certainly enjoy seeing everyones projects.............

speedfunk

For what you are describing I would probably do skids.  This way it also gives you possibility of moving it and the property as you try out new spots to park it

Kris

here are some more progress shots of the door function and the starting of the window framing.

after working for the day on the icosa project, i jumped in my new truck with my girlfriend and headed over to a friends for dinner....lost control, hit a steep ditch and flipped the truck..i wasnt speeding, wasnt drinking, the conditions were fine and we are puzzled......we are both ok, but the project is on hold till i am more mobile again..
(it should be a speedy recovery)..my left arm is not so functional.....at least i still have an arm.....

be safe out there people if your driving around on back-roads or to your cabins/building sites.....

Redoverfarm

Bobmarlon

Wholy SHIT Im glad everyone is ok.  Good Luck hope you get better soon. 

Sassy

Sorry to hear about that  :(  Pretty scary!  Get better fast.
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Kris

this is the start of my window framing,,,the angles have been interesting, but not to bad to work with...