Interesting small wood stoves

Started by Redoverfarm, July 13, 2008, 07:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

I just happened across this site when I was transfering some favorites off my old computer to the new one.  I am not real sure where it came from so if you have seen them before move on.  I just thought that as many small cabins were being built and limited space this might be just the thing.  It appears that alot of them are mounted on the kitchen counter.  Not real sure of the heat output but I am sure it would do for a under 200 sq ft. Enjoy

http://marinestove.com/

considerations

I have the smallest of the Marine Stoves in my office (120 sqft) works just fine.  I'm contemplating a larger model for the house.  A great guy owns the company - straight shooter.

The Sardine - the model I have:

- Cast iron construction

- For Wood & Hardwood Charcoal.

- Uses 4" Chimney Pipe (10 Cm).

- 7,500 - 18,000 BTU [ 2 - 5 Kw.] Heat Output.
Rule of Thumb: 15 x Volume of Space to Heat = Reqd. BTU's.

- US EPA & State of Washington Emission Certification.
Modern "Clean-Burn" Technology - Non Catalytic.

NM_Shooter

Those are pretty neat looking.  I think I considered them once before but was put off by the price.  I had not priced the stovepipe though... perhaps the total solution is not too much off of a system that uses 6" vent?

Considerations, do you burn wood or coal in yours?  How long does the burn last?

Tnx....

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

considerations

I burn wood, I have an abundance of it.  Doesn't last all night. 

I have the littlest model, about 1 cubic foot, so a real "all nighter" is pretty much out of the question.  Plus, even though they are actually legal in Washington state, which I understand has tough emission standards, its because they are exempt....something about not airtight...I'm a dummy about the specifics. 

Since it isn't airtight, it doesn't bank down as much as the Quadra Fire I had in the house in Oregon.

Anyhow, I usually get it going with shavings of fatwood and splinters of cedar, on to sticks of doug fir...then graduate to some 4 - 5" well seasoned fruit wood that I cut up in little chunks a few years ago when doing some major corrective pruning on my parent's orchard. 

I kept all the prunings, and even took some ribbing when I packed up a pickup load and moved them out here.  Now I'm glad I did.  It is great for the little stove, and is fantastic cooking wood, in or out of a stove.   

Apple smoked white salmon mmmmmmmm!   [hungry]

I have been dancing with the idea of the largest size for the house as it has an oven, but the firebox and oven dimensions are pretty small.....I'm also going down the road to take a look at a freebee.  He says it's in good shape and the top gets hot enough for real cooking....we'll see.  Free is a very good price.   

Then again, it's a 6" stove pipe.  Lordy that stuff is expensive!

Redoverfarm

Sounds like I need to ship you some Locust, Oak, or Hickory to make it all night.  Lighter woods are good to get it started and begin getting immediate heat but usually do not burn long.  But with a stove that size it is doubtfull that you could get enough in there to last the night. 

As far as the Cook stove I love them.  My mother has one, as did my grandparents.  Food takes on a new meaning when prepared on one.  I recently got a wood/gas stove for the cabin.  Still trying to figure the size out for the space.  ???   Wider than I wanted as it has 8 total burners.  Might just use the wood part for now and shop around for a smaller wood cook stove later.

Yeah the insulated wall pipe is expensive.  Don't remember off hand now but it was close to $100 for a 3' joint.  I had to build the fireplace flue as well as the exhaust for the gas hot water heater so i just added another liner (three total) in the flue for the cook stove.  But again mine was more than $100 for three feet. ;)

considerations

I have an old cook stove as well, but its too big for the cabin.  There is a summer kitchen in my future. I fell in love with them when in Virginia doing Civil War research.

Never heard of one before.  And a spring house.  I have just the place for one.  And a studio and a library.
and and and....... c*

Redoverfarm

Yes summer kitchens were quite usual years ago.  With canning and cooking it did not heat up the house.  And at Butchering time you didn't have to drag the hog into the house. ;D

Same would go for cellars.  They are slowly fadding away.  I don't mean the type under the house but the stand alone that were embedded into a bank or hillside.

There you go CF build a cellar/springhouse and overtop you could have your summer kitchen.

glenn kangiser

Looks like I an going to have to build my wife a summer kitchen if you guys keep talking about it.  She doesn't like to heat up the house. d*
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

benevolance

I always wanted a under the ground cellar... built into a side hill that you could walk to underground from the basement of the house...the summer kitchen overtop of it is just brilliant

glenn kangiser

I live in the underground cellar.  All I need is the kitchen on the roof.   It would be a great place to bake a birthday cake.

I wonder what proper attire would be for such an occasion? hmm

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

jstig

glenn kangiser

Careful, jstig - you'll make the others sick. [rofl2]

jstig

There was a farmhouse at one time near my small piece of land. It was on the adjacent 75 acre tract  belonging to the owner that sold me my 3 acres.  The only structure left is a cellar - a small stone room built into the side of the hill - maybe about 8 feet square.  Hopefully Glenn wont be baking any birthday cakes on the roof!!!  There are also quite a few apple trees still surviving from the farm days.  There are also many natural springs and the beginning of a stream.  I could get water from there but its a steep walk down and then back up carrying a bucket of water!   Sounds like fun....

Jim

glenn kangiser

I really like the old places like that.  My dads place had a goat shed built into the side of the mountain and I think that is what originally interested me in building into the ground 

I guess I will have to thank you guys for getting me into baking on the roof. :)

apaknad

very interesting ben, would you like to post a sketch of what you were thinking?
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

glenn kangiser

I don't have anything special in mind -- maybe by the pool but much more rustic than this - but open air -- it's hot here in the summer.  9AM and 81 degrees now.