small vintage looking but new home

Started by berkshirefamily, January 04, 2007, 02:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berkshirefamily

I am new to this forum, so bear with me!  We are buying land in the Berkshires (MA) and would like to build a smallish home (about 1000 sq feet) that will look like it has laways been there -- an old, vintage-looking home -- even though it will be new.  Does anyone out there have any good resources for plans, etc., for such a project?  Thanks in advance...

Daddymem

Sounds like FirstDay to me...but I'm biased having almost completed one in your neck of the woods...just off Cape.  Your statement is 100% our thinking since the beginning, we want something that people say nice old handbuilt home, not nice new home and guess what?  That's what we got, at least I think so.  These homes fit New England to a T.  Their Original (16' wide) is just under 1000 sf and i bet a cinch to build having built a tougher one (the Cape).  Just have to be sure you can get the stairs to code if the BI requires it.

Check them out: http://www.firstdaycottage.com/  Ask for John or David and tell them the Schluter's sent you, they'll take care of you.

Ours: http://schluterhomestead.blogspot.com/

I strongly suggest you purchase one of John Raabe's plans, they are worth the investment to get your creative juices flowing and give you ideas.  We used the trim details from his Universal plan as inspiration on our FirstDay Cottage.

berkshirefamily

Thank you so much -- we actually live in an old (1928) beach house on the Cape and the Berkshire home will be our getaway -- I can't wait to look at the info you sent -- thank again!

Daddymem

You are in a perfect location.  There is a FirstDay in Yarmouth, ours in Wareham, next door in Buzzard's Bay, and nearby in Raynham that are either just completed or near completion.  Check into the Yahoo Group linked off our blog, there's a map of FirstDay's all over.