Hold down locations, shear walls and framing...

Started by MikeT, January 03, 2007, 08:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

Tomorrow is my pour for my foundation walls,  It will be a huge relief when that finally occurs.  I want to make sure I am as thorough as possible in the location of my hold downs (Simpson SSTB 16, I believe).  I have looked at the Simpson home page, and I am not sure I get it.

In general, the bolts need to be affixed to two 2x6s, so does that mean that on a corner where a stab bolt will go, I need to measure about 9" (5 1/2  for the perpendicular wall end that is meeting in the corner plus  3" for the two 2x6s that make up the wall that I am bracing)?  And for the perpendicular partner wall would it be simply about 6"  because the 2x6s land right in the corner and the hold downs affix straight to it?

Then for shear walls where the bolts need to go near a window, would I measure about 5 " from the end of my window location--stud that supports the header, plus 2, 2x6s= 4 1/2"?  Or can I get by with simply having the stud that supports a header plus the full height stud and then have my hold down affix to that-- this would save me one stud  per hold down.

I realize this is a quite specific question and does not pertain to many here because you are not building in a high wind zone or in areas where you have strict code enforcement, but I am.  Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike T

peg_688

Exact boly placement is aways tough. From what you have written,  I think you have it , except  by the window you should have it (the bolt/ hold down ) so the bolts connecting / going thru the hold down   go thru two full studs. At least thats how we TRY to have it happen.  ::)

G/L PEG    

MikeT

Thanks, Peg.  On the window, do I have the stud supporting the header, then two studs with the anchor bolt  affixed to the double studs?  In other words, I would have three 2x6s connecting at this point to the sole plate.  If so, I will measure about 5" from the window edge....

I will report how this goes when I get to the framing stage.

Cheers,
mt

peg_688

QuoteThanks, Peg.  On the window, do I have the stud supporting the header, then two studs with the anchor bolt  affixed to the double studs?  In other words, I would have three 2x6s connecting at this point to the sole plate.  If so, I will measure about 5" from the window edge....

I will report how this goes when I get to the framing stage.

Cheers,
mt

Around here they buy it as long as where your bolting thru or screwing into the wood there is 3" or more of wood .   The way I frame at a window I have 1 king stud , 1  trimmer (holds up header) and 1  cripple stud under the window sill . That give me a total of 4 1/2" of 2x to attach to .  

At your corners they will want the 3" min of wood so a dbl stud to attach the H/D to .

Simpson photo :

Another way the gestapo >:( ::) used to get us under the [highlight]old code[/highlight] was with the 3" nominal wood to nail into meaning it had to be a 4x6 , as   2x6 is only consider 1 1/2 " for the way they wanted to read the code .   As the nailing sch was beefed up at the hold down area / shear  panel area.

No tellin what your jack booted thug will require  >:(

G/L PEG  

glenn-k

Gosh, PEG - such lack of respect for governmental authority.  Haven't I taught you anything?

MountainDon

QuoteGosh, PEG - such lack of respect for governmental authority.  Haven't I taught you anything?

Hmmm...   :-/  I thought that was precisely what you taught him...  ;)

peg_688

Over all just a bad week , sorry for any offence either intended , or implied . ::)

MountainDon

Seems that nearly everywhere must have at least one idiot in the P&Z dept. I know I've run into them here. I've also had one congratulate me on completing the final. So go figure.

But I still get nervous whenever the need arises to deal with "officialdom". Our county has one guy is is mean to just about anyone... even a simple inquiry about where is the approval process you are will result in something being questioned and you getting a fejection. Of course that'll be held until the last legally allowed date.    >:(

glenn-k

I was just kidding, PEG.  As you were.

Mountain Don-- have you been reading my stories?

On a side note -- we were passed to pour on the Bigger House Project then the inspector forgot to take us off the inspection list after corrections were made.  Another inspector went up there to inspect again and threatened to charge us $41.00 because the gate was locked.  If he had gotten in and rechecked he may have failed us as we had to reclean the footings due to a rock fall.  I told the owner that from now on they never get in the gate unless we are there. :)

peg_688

I was just kidding, PEG.  As you were.

Yes sin-say! But good satire must contain some truth ;D

desdawg

Did I ever tell you what the difference is between a building inspector and God? God doesn't think he is a building inspector.